Ally
Orwell
Lorient Avandi
28 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Music - Page 36 Empty Re: Music

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 am

We have had afew comedians rough around the edges... See Carl Barron and Rodney Rude as examples. {{{{Disgusting men Mad - especially Rodney! cheers }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:27 am

Actually, I've had an epiphany! Shocked Is this the stuff Ol' Anon was nurtured on? And there's me totally blaming poor old Benny Hill for Ol' Anon's moral decline...

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm

This is what The Hobbit (film, that is) lacks most of all:

Music - Page 36 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm

I thought the main theme of the Hobbit was pretty good (far better than the LoTR main theme). But you are right, memorable secondary themes are missing.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 pm

The main theme is good, though I still like the LotR one better Smile And the misty mountains is chilling, but that's about it, sadly.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Oh come'on, the Hobbit theme blows away the LoTR theme! LoTR starts out blocky, begins to soar, and just when you think you are going somewhere it claws you back down into that blocky two-tone motif. The hobbit theme pulls you along, takes you on a journey, and is admirably suited to swirling accompaniment and changes of orchestration. Sounds as good on a single violin as it does in a host of trumpets. The LoTR theme is just horns, horns, horns. The hell with it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I actually listened to it again to be sure I could say this and mean it: I'm sorry, but I still like the LotR theme more Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Mad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 pm

i like both

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 pm

I think you can't really compare the whole LotR music-universe to the Hobbit music.... No offence, but in my opinion you can't just pick one theme from LotR and judge the whole soundtrack by it.
In LotR every creature, every sequence, every setting has gotten its own motif, that may intertwine with others in the next scene and create a totally different world which the Fellowship or whoever may just be entering. Ok, I'm sure, it's doing the same thing in the Hobbit, but it just never reached those depths for me.
I mean - sure, the Hobbit soundtrack (which I think is very, very good, mind you!!!) is part of the whole Middle-earth universe but in my opinion it's just a tiny part of it. An important part of course, but  Arrow for example: did you realize that the Nature theme - I like to call it Ent-theme, because it's very pronounced during the last march of the Ents - can be heard during the final "battle" against Azog in AUJ?
The music simply reaches totally different dimensions then and it's like the whole thing is building up to something far greater  - and that great thing is LotR Wink

Edit: I know you guys were only talking about the main themes in the first place, but the LotR soundtrack always gets to me.
Dangerous topic to start when I'm around...Embarassed

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Well yeah, that was the point RR was trying to make: the LoTR themes are memorable, the Hobbit themes largely are not. Though the main Hobbit theme kicks the LoTR theme's ass clear out of the park. Just sayin'.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 pm

BTW, I've realized RingRotten may be differentiating between "over the Misty Mountains Cold" and some other theme. I consider it to be the Hobbit Theme, and is better than the Fellowship theme in LoTR.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 am

Oh great, now I'm reminded of when they used the "Gondor Reborn" theme at the end of AUJ. What cheapness. I'm so over Howard Shore. Mad 

If I want a good soundtrack I'll put on some Bernard Herrmann. 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:04 am

halfwise wrote:BTW, I've realized RingRotten may be differentiating between "over the Misty Mountains Cold" and some other theme.  I consider it to be the Hobbit Theme, and is better than the Fellowship theme in LoTR.
Out of curiosity, which songs do you consider to be the Hobbit and Fellowship themes?  My understanding is that it's these two, but I could be wrong.

IMO they're both good, though the Hobbit theme was overused in AUJ.  But the real reason I prefer the Fellowship theme is that it's engrained into so many memories of my childhood that it's instantly iconic and evocative for me.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 am

Those were the ones I had in mind too.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 am

Eldorion wrote:Out of curiosity, which songs do you consider to be the Hobbit and Fellowship themes?  My understanding is that it's these two, but I could be wrong.
That's the problem I think. You can't just choose one. I mean, for the Hobbit you can, but for LotR....

anyway:
Eldorion wrote:
IMO they're both good, though the Hobbit theme was overused in AUJ.  But the real reason I prefer the Fellowship theme is that it's engrained into so many memories of my childhood that it's instantly iconic and evocative for me.
totally agree with that Very Happy

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 am

Super excitement! Just got a call to say my new guitar has been shipped and arrived for me to go pick up. Only 1200 worldwide and I will have one of them in a few hours!!!!

Metal 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm

What you picked I would call the Hobbit theme, but I don't think the theme you picked for LoTR is the Fellowship theme. The one I'm thinking of is what you hear most of the time the fellowship is on the move, usually performed in brass. Let me see if I can find it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:25 pm

here it is:

http://www.woodzie.org/lotr/fellowship.htm

How you guys came up with that lovie-dovie thing as the fellowship theme I'll never know, it's rather rarely used.

Edit: what you picked out this woodzie guy calls the travelling theme, and it's used only 3 times. The fellowship theme is used 38 times.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Fun going through that musical theme site. At one point the guy says he can't imagine where Shore got the idea to have a theme to represent evil plans being unexpectedly thwarted (he calls it the 'rescue' theme) but it's clear he's no Tolkien scholar (or paid much attention to the appendices in the EE) or the word "eucatastrophe" would have jumped out at him. It IS interesting that Shore has a eucatastrophe theme.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Actually after getting deep enough into what Eldo posted, that recording is a bunch of themes mixed together. I don't know which one you are calling the fellowship theme.

I heard the Shire theme (played on tinwhistle and strings), the extended Shire theme (often accompanies the shire theme if more wonder is needed), the Fellowship theme (in trumpets), the traveling theme (or new vistas theme as I think of it), etc.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:20 pm

The breaking of the fellowship is still the saddest possible song you can ever listen too

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Ha! I love his note on music used in The Hobbit.

http://www.woodzie.org/lotr/index.html

Note on The Hobbit:

Several people have written me to ask if I intend to expand this site to include The Hobbit. I do not. Unhappily, I found the movie, and Shore's additional music for it, too uninteresting to justify the effort it would take to do this kind of analysis.
Music - Page 36 George-Costanza-clapping

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:05 pm

I think Shore was probably not inspired by the material he was given.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Super excitement! Just got a call to say my new guitar has been shipped and arrived for me to go pick up. Only 1200 worldwide and I will have one of them in a few hours!!!!

Metal 
So what kind of guitar is this, Lance?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next