Amarië
Mrs Figg
12 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 16 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by azriel Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:00 pm

All New Who - Page 16 Dancaupload image gif

Yay ! just watched my first female Dr Who Smile & what a shower of shit !!

All New Who - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 pm

{{{ First impressions as usual.

Well I gave criteria for a typical base under siege story so lets see how it matched up!

Spoiler:

I give this one a 5, if only because the Doctor is at least taking more control in this one and not asking or deferring to everyone else about the situation, but its all so clumsy-from writing to directing and editing-, so boringly presented and the story so flimsy, non-existent, preachy and full of exposition again that I cant give it more. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 am

{{In keeping with my occasional series (think I did 1!) here's-

12 Ways this Chibbers Episode could have been better!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:20 pm

{{Ok I actually rewatched this one to see if it was as bad as I initially thought- and I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong- its worse! Mad Its a 3, maybe a 2- Id rather rewatch Love and Monsters back to back with In the Forest of the Night than rewatch that episode ever again- at least they had some genuine character development in them and some humour.
And the 2 points I am giving it now is purely for 13 acting like the Doctor in a few scenes- but everything else?

Spoiler:

There is a script editor, allegedly, how did this get passed without being sent back to Chibbers with these words- 'some good ideas for a 1st draft, but needs several more rewrites'?!!!!}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm

And let us not forget the role reversal that a lot of woman have wished for ? A man finding out what its like to have babies ? What the feck was he all about ? He looked human, sounded human, said "kid" instead of child or any other Alien type name that Alien children go by. If I wanted a moral sermon Id go to church on a Sunday, Ive got 2 of them up the road from me. All this out pouring of pent up emotion. Wheres the bloody Aliens ? Creatures from some far flung planet, something to deal with. The whole episode reminded me of an episode of Mr Tumble...…

The companions are standing around waiting for their queue as tho they are on a Game show. Bradly Walsh just doesn't blend in, gawd knows why he's there? Jodie Whittaker hobbled around clutching her side & groaning then suitably forgot it 5 mins later. No one noticed she has 2 hearts, not a medical team Id trust if I was injured. She clumps about like Groucho Marx. Stand up straight & at least pretend your in control ? Just one little squeaky toy ? what was it called again ? ping pong ? P'ting ? & it terrifies everyone to risk their life to fly this weird ambulance thru a meteor field ? Oh please ! I thought last weeks episode was bad ( & I only saw 5mins worth ) but this ??? Squeaky Toy was the best bit of this episode, at least he knew what he was doing. It almost feels as though this stupidity & diluted rubbish is planned & deliberate, for surely, no one at Aunty Beeb could produce shat like this and get paid ?? Why is Chibnall focusing on the people in the episode & in such a corny, vague way ? An ex Storm Trouper with Pilots Heart bravely putting her life on the line ( Pacific Rim style ) for something that for all she knew could be fixed with a little glue & selotape. I reckon the viewings/ratings are from parents of 5 & 6yr olds that think Jodie is a "very funny lady" Smile No I haven't used a spoiler, this doesn't deserve a spoiler, its not good enough for a spoiler.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm

That was appallingly bad. I actually turned it off. Worst ever episode of Doctor Who.

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:13 pm

oh nearly forgot

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:29 pm

I agree Figgs ! I thought we might find something out when preggers man said he'd "name this ship" Avocado as he thought a normal name like, Brian or whatever was stupid...…..er….waiting.....still waiting ? NO ! we find out NOTHING !! Ive just about had a tit full of this fecking PC crap ! Dr Who is as tepid as a half hour custard pud. Ive felt more danger when Ive checked my bank account. this Dr is a gift for amnesiacs because you cant remember what happened & it doesn't matter anyhow. My heart beats faster bidding on Ebay than watching this dross.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm

{{
Spoiler:
- Figg

I am not a huge RTD fan,you Mrs Figg are not a huge Moffat man, but I am sure one thing we can both agree on is that its a matter of implementation in those cases, neither of us would think to accuse either of lacking in ideas, or imagination, or trying bold things or having ambitious aims. We quibble ove rhow successful each is at those, but never over the fact they are there.

The worse thing so far about this Chibnal era is how bland, vanilla, and boring it is. And those are things Who has never been, even when it was bad it was always striving, always imaginative, always ambitious (sometimes too much so and to its own detriment) but never ever boring and unimaginative.

Someone on Gallifrey mentioned that if you took all the female companions of NuWho- Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, River, Clara, Bill- every single one of them, at their peak experience travelling with the Doctor, would walk all over 13 and be taking charge all the time. And thats a huge mystery for me- why they are writing the Doctor as someone who asks other people whats going on so often? Why does she seem slow on the uptake-
Spoiler:
Why does Jodie pull those idiot faces all the time making her Doctor seem even more slow?  Why does nothing challenge her? Not villains, not her companions-
Spoiler:

Also I cant work out it its some really obscure arc thing that will somehow be explained, or just weird writing but every foe
Spoiler:
Just an odd pattern. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Did I hear it correct ? Was medic guy called Asos ? cuz that's an online clothes store, tho if you take the "A" away it spells SOS & that's what it says about this Dr. She's no different to any of my neighbours when it comes to conversation or action. In the past any of the Doctors companions were in tears to leave the Dr behind. Practically heart broken. Because the Dr proved himself. He was inspirational, he had inner strength, confidence all the things we admire in a person. Id cry tears to see this one GO !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:32 pm

{{The only sliver of hope is that apparently Chibbers, having written 4 of the first 5 and co-wrote the other one, won't be back on main writing duties until the finale, the next four episodes are all penned by the new writers- maybe one of them knows how to write a Doctor Who story!
Chibbers will still be on oversight of course, doing what the showrunner does, keeping arc son track, inserting character dialogue if he feels things are not consistent ect and adding or changing as he sees fit, but it's still something to hope for. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm

{{ What happened to this Doctor- full of wonder, joy, imagination, leading by example and by unending effort to just be kind?

How did we so quickly end up here-

All New Who - Page 16 45577833-1987708641527387-1139516701222633472-n}}

God I miss the Doctor being eloquent and having something to say!!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm

I miss Moffat

Sofa

no I really miss the imaginative mayhem, even when it went timey wimey ape-shit at least it was never being boring, that reminds me of pet Shop Boys Laughing  but yeah, we have our differences about the relative merits of RTD and Moffat but I have to say that RTD really gave us moving and lovely characterisation even when it was as Earthly as Jackie in her pink chav-flat, but it felt real as opposed to the utter tedium of the Yaz/Ryan Eastenders me dad's fuqed off and left me bollox. jeez! Moffat gave us Blink, Blink which was one of the best episodes in Who history and I give credit where its due, Moffat can do flights of imagination and make it exciting.
I think we will look at RTD/Moffat as the Golden Age before pc pandering killed it dead as a boring sterile cod Eastenders pile of poop.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:11 pm

This new one does not have the capacity to assemble any kind of thought provoking speech. If you had never seen Dr Who efore you would be excused in thinking this one is a Wannabe, a stand in, someone trying to be the Dr while the real Dr is, I dunno, on holiday. This one has no gravitas, couldn't stir a cup of tea. Waffling from previous Doctors was endearing but this one is fecking annoying. Its like a new born learning on the job, she seems vacant, memory erased & its not what Im used to or want. Dr who is old, very old & he knows a thing or two about a thing or two. So why is this Dr suddenly so fecking dense ? What would she do if, suddenly, a Dalek came round the corner eh ? She took the whole episode to fathom out Squeaky Toy ! And what was her deep & insightful decision with that ? Not to return it to its home, no, boot it out the door with a bomb in its gob ! Gee Wizz what a great idea ! Did you come up with that all by yourself ? She was even biting her nails & getting agitated hoping Mr Squeaky would come plapping up & eat said bomb !! It was soooo edge of your seat dangerous !!! FFS

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 am

yep she/Doctor acts and looks gormless and thick. Suspect She doesn't exude rapier sharp wit and cunning, she just faffs around being touchy feely. yuck
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 am

{{OK- here we go this weeks inevitable- Things that Don't Make Any Sense

Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:52 am

I love all this kerfuffle over Doctor Who. And it's quite heart-warming that the Eternal Feuders have finally found some common ground. Not to mention myself, of course. I like that I don't have to get all crabbit every week when Petty posts all manner of esoteric reasonings behind why Moffat is genius!

I haven't got 'round to watching this week's. From the sound of it the non-spoiler discussions here, it's gone down the route of Schwarzenegger's Junior or something. So I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 am

{{Don't think I'm going to have to give reasons for Moffat being a genius Forest, not at this rate where a simple comparison of watching the two should provide ample testimony that 13's run so far is shitely written.

I am sort of morbidly curious however to hear your thoughts on the tits-up conundrum or whatever it was called. Its always good when you cant believe something was actually that badly done and still broadcast to have another opinion or two to check it really was that bad!}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Oh it was that bad. I had a feeling right from the beginning that this Dr was going to be dreadful, I just didn't realise how awful. After all the years of scripts & ideas, all the input from devotees & fans you really wasn't prepared for this. Its worse than amateurish, its sloppy & lazy. My kids have done better homework essays than this. I think its got to a stage when any actor who hasn't fulfilled his/her dream of being on Coronation Street can go on Dr who & be content with that. You don't need to bring anything to the table, Good God, you don't even need to act, just be there & pick up your wage. Bradley Walsh cant wait to get back to hosting a game show ( that's how it feels ) The other 2 ? just were caught up & dragged off as they waited for a bus. No idea of whats going on or what to do. no intelligent ideas or even suggestions ? just stand around & watch. Its like watching a crowd being led round & shown a stately home by a tour guide. I will actually watch next weeks episode only to see if its possible to get any worse than the drivel I saw this episode. My heart went out to squeaky. he was misunderstood & never given a chance. he was a kid in a toy shop having fun. I wonder if he had a mum somewhere missing him ??

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm

My heart went out to squeaky- Azriel

{{Right there is one of the major issues with this episode- just what tone was it trying for? And I am not at all convinced all those involved in making it had the same idea about the answer to that.

The music is at fault because its score, whilst underplayed, is fine for a base under siege story: a hostile alien life form threatening the ship and crew in a tense claustrophobic setting- its not scored for a brightly lit, almost nothing bad happens, EastEnders style exposition heavy drama with comedy pregnancy relief and an alien threat that looks like a xmas toy and is six inches tall.
And as the new scoring is low key we dont get as many musical cues as to how we should be feeling about a thing, we dont get any pointers from the music about if we should be treating this creature as humorous or threatening.
This lack of cues is also I feel effecting 13. 10, 11 and 12 all had such distinctive themes that could kick in whenever the Doctor sprung into action, upping the tempo, quickening the pulse and making the hairs on the back of your neck tingle. 13 doesn't have one of note and it makes her feel flatter than her predecessors when she leaps into action. It feels less consequential and exciting.*

The reaction of the cast to the thing vary from the sort of tension and horror you might expect if it were alien not cute space gremlin, to not bothered  in the slightest.
One minute we are looking at space gremlin who has been animated like a cartoon characters bouncing off the walls, and the next dealing with Ryans dad issues and a woman dying from a heart-attack, then off to comedy pregnancy, then a brief pause for the Doctor to give a science lecture, then back to 'oh were under threat from an alien'- its all over the place and never settles on a single tone, mood or style and the writing is nowhere near deft enough to move between these tonal shifts without jarring almost continuously or without the story grinding to a halt to accommodate them.

I mean what was that episode?- was it a scary base under siege story like Cold War?- no! Was it a high pressure tense thriller style  base under siege story like Time Heist?- no! Did it have some great moral or social message to give? Like Empress of Mars? No. Was it a light-hearted romp with character drama base under siege story like The Girl Who Died? - no (but out of them all it might be what it was badly trying to be).  So what was it supposed to be? Scary? Tense? Comedic? Character driven? Monster driven? It seems to try to be all of them and fails at all of them at once as a result.

*we get introduced to 11 and 12's themes in their debut episodes, or at least parts of them, and the association remains throughout with each Doctor and those pieces of music.

The huge advantage of having a strong driving Doctors theme is that it assist the performance in selling the magnitude of a scene- in both 11 and 12's case all we basically have is someone talking to someone else whilst some other people stand by watching. What helps sell the performances as being big moments is the Doctors theme kicking in. 13 really is lacking in this element and this use of a theme for her and its a problem because there is less supporting her performance in selling these Doctor moments when she does get one.}}

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 pm

The very worst thing in the whole episode, and that's saying something, is this,

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Comic Relief ! Thats what this episode was Smile If it was for Comic Relief/Red Nose Day Id except it.

And eating up a junk pile would be a better idea for this little dude but, I guess it needed a live energy to wake up its appetite but, Figgs idea has been the best one so far !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:28 pm

{{{ Yeah its supposedly only after energy sources- eating the stuff is just a side effect of it getting the energy out of stuff so the junkyard wouldn't be any good to it- but its confusingly told anyway- the first time we see the thing it seems to be just randomly pulling a wall apart and eating anything, with no indication its only interested in energy sources till it eats, drains the sonic, and spits it back out with no energy left in it (why does it handily spit it back out when it doesn't spit back out anything else it eats for energy  once its drained it?).
And if it was just passing in space and was attracted to energy from their ship to feed, wouldn't it have just homed in on the biggest source of energy and smashed through at the engines and eaten it from the off whilst it was unprotected and not guarded? Why would it start eating some random wall somewhere when the ships full of large energy sources?

But amazingly, and I noticed this on the painful second watch, the Doctor does make a deduction about this energy thing, but Chibbers doesn't want to draw the audiences attention too much to it as being the plot device leading to solution later thing, but he needs it there so the Doctor can have her connecting the dots lightbulb moment later- his solution then?
She literally makes the energy connection in the background of a scene, not even fully in shot!  Clever slight of hand- where you distract your audience form noticing the flagging up of the plot device with some clever deception, red herring or misleading info is not the same Chibbers as just hiding it half in shot somewhere in the background! That's not clever, or even professional grade writing.  Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Something tells me Chibnal was a bad choice. I really don't like this Doctor. I wasn't a fan of 11 and 12 but they had their moments and Smith had more charisma and quirky charm than Jodie and Malcolm Tucker had more gravitas and intelligence, she has neither.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 pm

So what is Chibnal's writing pedigree?  He must have done something right in the past to land the role of show-runner for Dr Who.

Edit: okay, looked him up. Having written several Dr Who episodes in the past plus head writer for Torchwood for 2 seasons, his credentials are fairly impeccable. Torchwood was somewhat gritty, how could he have fallen so hard on his face for Dr Who?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum