azriel
Amarië
Mrs Figg
12 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 9 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I agree, Capaldi was pretty dark and intense, to go from that to bright and breezy is odd.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Upcoming Big Finish leak (Catherine Tate had already let slip she was recording more this week, but very happy to see Bernard Cribbins back as Wilf Smile )

All New Who - Page 9 Dw10d03le_slipcase_1417sq_cover_large

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 pm

{{Well its definitely a proper 10th Doctor story- I can tell beuase its got Big Ben in the poster! Smile
Very happy to see Wilf return in any capacity however- my favourite secondary character of the RTD era by a country mile. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/thenicolabryant/status/1044613612499808256

I agree with Nicola bryant, absolutely appalled a BBC Journalist would comment about Capaldi in that way.

He's tied as my favourite Doctor, so naturally I am biased...no Doctor is universally beloved, but to bring this up shortly before a new Doctor starts reeks of favouritism, bias and frankly comes across as stabbing Capaldi in the back, a BBC Journalist of all people should be more self aware there were better ways to phrase this, it reads like he is directly blaming Capaldi for any perceived issues with his era (more to the point, even those viewers who don't like the 12th Doctor generally agree Capaldi is a great actor, and a enthusiastic, warm hearted ambassador for the franchise), why not focus on raising up the new doctor rather than dragging down the old one.  

Mad  Extremely Crabbit F You

I had little interest in Series 11 anyway (I've always been in favour of a female Doctor, and really rate Jodie as an actress...but the trailers/news/leaks about Series 11 haven't piqued my interest at all) but I don't think I can support it after this.

Think I'll stick with Big finish and old episodes for my Who fix.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 am

{{Yup that a cheap, nasty shot that fortunately has got a lot of immediate flack.

The premiere of the new series was in Sheffield the other night- reviews are a bit mixed but generally on the positive side-

'In his four-star review for the Sun, Rod McPhee said Whittaker "may be the breath of fresh air needed to revive a flagging franchise".
"She doesn't always strike the right balance between quirky geek and masterful Time Lord. And at times she comes across as irritatingly childlike.
"But the highest praise is that you quickly forget you're watching a female Doctor and just accept you're watching THE Doctor."

Writing in the i paper, Stephen Kelly complimented the show's improved production values.
"Never before has Doctor Who looked so crisp and cinematic, nor the CGI so convincing and expensive," he wrote.
As an episode of Doctor Who, The Woman Who Fell to Earth isn't perfect," said Huw Fullerton in The Radio Times.
"A few of the jokes (mainly focused on Whittaker getting used to her new incarnation) and lines of dialogue fall a bit flat.
"And on the whole it's definitely a less witty and quotable version of Who than we might have seen during the years of former showrunner Steven Moffat."
"Does this first episode get everything right, all of the time? No," said Digital Spy's Morgan Jeffrey.
"But it scores where it really counts, showing more than enough wit and flair to convince us that we're entering into a new era that'll be every bit as bold and, yes, brilliant as we'd hoped."
The Telegraph's Ben Lawrence said: "Chibnall has cooled things down with some much-needed accessibility, but still something is missing.
"There is also a distinct lack of interest in the show's heritage.
"Although Whittaker's performance captured the essence of previous incarnations of her character, the overall effect of the show sometimes felt like a trip too far from the familiar."
Martin Belam in The Guardian said: "The sheer number of new characters, alongside guest star Sharon D Clarke, necessarily means that the alien menace is more of a low-key device to bring the characters together and introduce them to us, than a world-ending threat.
"That's not to say that the creatures' appearance won't give children nightmares."
Empire said The Woman Who Fell To Earth "looks beautiful in the show's new widescreen format".
"Indeed, everything Jodie Whittaker and new showrunner Chris Chibnall have been promising us about the ramped-up, cinematic style of the new season turns out to be true.
"Those new lenses really do make a difference in giving the show a more textured, epic feel, matched by new composer Segun Akinola's atmospheric score."- BBC News }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:58 am

{{First officially released clip from the first episode of the new series (same one as got leaked ages ago, only in good quality now!).
Not sold on some of the dialogue here, and Jodie seems a bit like she is, well acting, at the start of it, but thought it improves as it goes on. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah, it's not believable that police would just let her get on like that. And Whittaker doesn't quite own her lines. But her basic mannerisms feel correct for the Doctor.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:06 pm

What is this I heard about this season not containing any of the aliens and monsters from the show's history? Is that true? I thought there was a legal reason that they had to include Daleks every single season.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:What is this I heard about this season not containing any of the aliens and monsters from the show's history? Is that true? I thought there was a legal reason that they had to include Daleks every single season.

I'm guessing that must be a fan rumour, IIRC it was rather complicated and time consuming for the producers to get the rights to the Daleks back in Series 1 (the rights are still owned by the estate of Terry Nation, the creator) and they actually planned a version of the episode 'Dalek' with a different alien in place (the writer of 'Dalek' Rob Shearman loosely adapted the script from his 6th Doctor audio drama, 'Jubilee'), the daleks have made at least a cameo appearance every year since the show returned, so it's easy to assume that is may be contractual obligations...but as far as I know the BBC has never confirmed this one way or the other, I think their constant appearances every year are just because they are a popular and money spinning part of the franchise.

I must admit I'm a tad bored with them at this point and feel some of their power and threat has been neutered by over exposure, so I can see a case for resting them for a few years.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 am

{{Its still a bit of an unknown on the Dalek contract thing- there are series where it does seem like they just found a way to put them in to meet such a contract because they had to- for example there is no Dalek story in series 10- but they do make a random appearance in one scene, same goes for series 7- in both cases their 1 appearance could easily have been taken by say a Cyberman and served exactly the same plot function, which does give some credence to the contract idea as they are not Dalek stories, just quite literally Dalek cameos in other stories.

But yes Foest, according to Chibnall there will be no appearances from any previously seen monsters or enemies- but Who showrunners have a tendency to lie! RTD said much the same and before we knew it he'd brought back Daleks, Cybermen, the Master and the Time Lords, even K9 and Sarah-Jane!}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Lying hoes!

I guess we'll see then. If it does pan out that way, it would be the first season of nu-who to do so.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:59 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 pm

{{Todays the day!! The Doctor is back! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Well chaps & chapesses, Its on tonight, 6.45pm, BBC1, Half of me isn't interested & half of me will grace it with 5mins of my time. Ho hum, I know why, its cos she's not a man Smile its new territory.

All New Who - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:44 pm

{{ So long as she is the Doctor it should be fine, if its all about her being a woman it wont be! Its Doctor Who- I always hope for the best!  }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I'll be sure to share my thoughts in four months or however long it takes me to watch it.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

{{ Spoilery first impressions-

Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 am

Spoiler:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:02 pm

{{Well if your main criteria is its not written by Moffat then presumably anything would have done for you.

Spoiler:
}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Ooh spoilers. study

Haha, I like how we can see Petty's crabbit beginning to build.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Well if your main criteria is its not written by Moffat then presumably anything would have done for you.

well, yeah, that should hardly come as a surprise. Now there is no RTD and no Moffat, so we should both be happy and try not to think about how it would have been if we could have had the best of both and none of the bad.

You know I was keeping expectations low, and I was preparing myself for the quality of the likes of Flash All New Who - Page 9 The_flash_3x02_paradox_jay_garrick
and
Spoiler:

But like for real you guys...(only slightly spoilery for the design of one of the baddies):

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 pm

You know I was keeping expectations low, and I was preparing myself for the quality of the likes of Flash- Amarie

{I have to admit a certain level of relief on first watch at least that it wasn't a complete disaster. There's much I dont like about, and more I think about the plot and characters and some of the writing in general more those worry me- but I still think Jodie was good,m the essence of the Doctor seems still in tact (with the caveat I'm slightly worried she has been whitewashed of any negative traits- only time will tell on that one) and there is solid enough basis to work from here with 13. Enough that I am at least interested in where they will take the character of the Doctor, if considerably less interested about where the rest of them go! }}

Haha, I like how we can see Petty's crabbit beginning to build.- Forest

{{Crabbit only ever builds, never abates!  Twisted Evil }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 am

{{ I didn't get a chance due to work to watch the episode with my better half, but now she has seen it I asked her what she thought.
I would class her as a Not-We generally, she has seen a few episodes now but its a drop in the Who bucket- she has seen some 9, a few 10, more 11, and a few 12. Of those she didn't mind Eccleston but the stories never really grabbed her, she is not a Tennant fan and tends not to want to watch any more from his era, likes Smith the most (not sure if this is because I got her to watch 11th Hour as her first Who so 11 is her Doctor in that sense) and she is a bit indifferent to 12, which means I dont think she is a fan but doesn't want to outright say so as he is my favourite of NuWho!

So 13? She liked Jodie, thought she acted very much as the Doctor based on what she had seen. As some have already drawn comparisons between 11 and 13 this is maybe not a surprise.
On the down side she felt it was too dark and a bit plodding in parts, the villain was a bit rubbish and overall the tone didn't sit with her as being very Doctor Whoish- I think her summing up of it feeling and looking like it was a spin off show from the Marvel universe was very accurate. And intentional on the shows makers part  who have openly expressed in interviews a desire to compete with such shows on the Netflix style platforms.
I'm guessing none of the companions, sorry 'friends' made much of an impression on either of us, as she never mentioned them and I completely forget to ask her about them!}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm

{{Some odd things I noticed-

1. The Doctor says that 'half an hour ago I was a white haired Scotsman' that means it took her half an hour to fall to Earth?
2. Grahme and others seem completely unaware of the existence of aliens- despite NuWHo invading earth with aliens every year. Moffat at least used the cracks in time to swallow up major events and create a, well not a clean slate, but almost. It seems in this version of Who its just been reset without explanation.
3. They made big deal of it being set in Sheffield- but ethnically the episode is not at all representational of Sheffield, which according to the latest census data is 85% white British. This episode was more like 95% ethnic, even secondary characters such as the guy whose sister got taken, was from an ethnic background. In fact I think there were only 3 white people in the episode- two grandfathers, one of whom who dies after only a few lines and the Predator ripoff's target. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 pm

how far did she fall?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry