Amarië
David H
azriel
17 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [9] - Page 24 Empty Re: Doctor Who [9]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 am

Interesting stat from last weeks episode given how prominent Clara was in the episode, the AI (Appreciation Index) for it was 85- a good score (Its out of 100 but very few things rate higher than upper 80's) but a break down of the score along gender lines shows that it scored slightly higher among men than women, which is the opposite of every other episode this series.
I wonder why?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Shrugging maybe they like bossy chicks stomping around waving a sonicphalus around
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Mmm I would not have described her as bossy in this episode, she was in control in the same way the Doctor takes control of a situation and he isn't called bossy for it.
And if it comes down to bossy I think Clara has had episodes this series where she has had moments where she has been more bossy than in this ep. Shrugging

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Been thinking about it more. I think this episode was a crucial pivotal moment for Clara, not because she had to be the Doctor for a bit to save the day, which is fine, but because something inside her switched off, The Doctor saw it but she didnt, she is confused by his seemingly ungrateful attitude, but she doesnt realize that she has fundamentally changed into a colder manipulative person and a liar like him. The way she treats Rigsby in the tunnel is part of this. he is a thoroughly lovely kid and he shows her his artwork mural thing (which we may see in a further episode?) and Clara hardly looks at it, just shrugs it off, ok they have monsters chasing them, but its part of her new cold attitude, her cold attitude towards Danny zoning him out while she is in the middle of something more exciting. maybe this is what attracts Missy, someone like Donna would not be attractive to Missy as she is a morally sound person, but Clara is ambiguous, she needs to be called 'special' she is quite an egotist wanting her cake and Danny. the poop is going to hit the fan at some stage, maybe Clara is a trojan horse. Also Clara has split her timeline into infiniteClaras? maybe all the past dead Claras are being kept in the heaven place, and all of them are pissed off, she has been chosen by Missy for something, maybe as a weapon.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Yeah I would agree with that. I think what the Doctor saw in her was him, and he didn't like that. And its what Missy saw in her and did like.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 am

Interesting response form Gaiman to a question about female writers on Who-

'When asked which Who writer Gaiman would hug, the author quipped that he wanted to hug every woman that has written for the series this side of 2008 - a number that, as he noted, is zero (at least as far as TV episodes are concerned).
“That can’t be right... (goes off, puzzled),” he added.
To contextualise his comments it’s worth noting that since 2005 only four TV Who episodes out of more than 100 have been written by a woman.
The Who script editors and producers he (Gaiman) has worked with on a direct basis - most of them women - have been giving much attention to bringing onboard female writers, he said.
Gaiman also added: They’ve reached out to a lot of women writers — I know that Steven Moffat has personally been in touch with a lot of female writers and been defeated over and over by scheduling problems, and people saying no. It’s a priority for them too.
He suggested that Moffat has found these set-backs frustrating.'- Gallifrey Base

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Well, I think some of it can be put down to pretty much all of the group of television writers who were Doctor Who fans in their youth, got into writing for television at the same time and ended up working on reimagined Doctor Who were male. Moffat, Gatiss, Russel T Davies etc. And many of these writers have made repeat apperances. The numbers are sitll shockingly low though, but it's interesting to hear that Moffat at least is trying to change things.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:03 pm

I think thats a large part of it. There are a lot more female fans of the show now than there were in the 70's and 80's when most of the current crop were watching it.
Hopefully therefore it will be a show that has inspired future female writers and they will want to work on it.

I found it concerning that Moffat had tried and some had just said no.
I wonder if they feel there will be an added pressure and scrutiny on them if they come in now as a new female writer?

The four previous episodes of NuWHo written by a woman weren't exactly considered classics either, so that doesn't help.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I cant imagine why female writers would say no. it has no logic to it.

Tomorrows episode looks interesting, I hope they guy who did Flatline is writing it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The four previous episodes of NuWHo written by a woman weren't exactly considered classics either, so that doesn't help.

That seems like a silly reason not to hire more female writers. What are the odds that any four random episodes by male writers would be classics?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 pm

No the guy who did flatline also wrote the Mummy episode. Thats his two for this series. Not bad though, two good episode for their Who writing debut.

This week is another new writer to Who thought- Frank Cottrell -Boyce.

According to wiki he is - 'a British screenwriter, novelist and occasional actor, known for his children's fiction and for his collaborations with film director Michael Winterbottom. He has recently achieved fame as the writer for the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony and for sequels to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: The Magical Car, a children's classic by Ian Fleming.
Boyce has won two major British awards for children's books, the 2004 Carnegie Medal for Millions, which originated as a film script, and the 2012 Guardian Prize for The Unforgotten Coat.'

Eldo- I didnt mean because they werent so good they wont get another female writer back. I meant because the only female writer that had didnt do too well there might be more perceived pressure on any new female writer to write an instant classic and 'prove themselves'.
There has to be a reason female writers are turning down the opportunity to work on a BBC flagship drama when male writers seem to jump at it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:51 am

I think female Writers would jump at it too.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 am

You would think so, but apparently not, some have been turning down the offer to write for Who.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 am

That idea escapes me ? I feel that an up & coming woman writer would have her shoes on & be out the door, fired up & ready to go if the chance of writing for Dr Who came along ? There must be something behind the scenes surely thats putting women off ? Id be diddly dang proud of myself if Dr Who was on my CV !

Doctor Who [9] - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [9] - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

I dont think it can be a behind the scenes issue. It has female producers, there are female directors, females at every level of the show in fact, except the writing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Spoiler:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Spoiler:

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 pm

I missed "Who" tonight, Sad I can catch up tomorrow Smile It feels like this run has gone by so quickly ! We are almost near the end !
Watched a re-run of "sherlock" to ease the shock of realizing Id missed "Who", it helped a bit................

Doctor Who [9] - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [9] - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Spoiler:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Spoiler:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:02 am

Spoiler:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next