Amarië
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 34 Empty Re: Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 pm

I was actually optimistic about the prospect of the show improving on Feast/Dance, but my optimism is quickly withering while watching this season.

It's still an enjoyable ride though. I really do wonder how much I'd like the show if I hadn't read the books. Would I still notice all the weirdness? I'd like to think I would, but I have no way of knowing. It probably wouldn't grate as much though.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I do think a fair bit about whether my complaints are down to me having read and having the relationship with the books I do. And I think it's clear that a fair bit of my criticism comes down to changes from the original story. Not necessarily changes in themselves, rather changes that somehow detract from the story or in my opinion makes it worse in comparison. Those changes probably wouldn't feel as jarring if one hadn't read the books. But there are also changes made where they previously have followed Georges version from the books, and a change is not only a change from the books but also a change from what they've previously have stated in the show. And then you have stuff that is internal only to the show, where they make changes from their previous original additions. It's odd how often their own writing doesn't make sense in context of itself. Which I think one would react to in any case.

I think it's possible to make a criticism on either ground, but I'll readily agree that seperating your grievances thematicly like that isn't always easy. I'm very aware I make criticism on both grounds. And while I do think I can seperate my grievances, I do realize that as a book reader I will always react to changes, regardless of their merit, and that they will effect my enjoyment in a way that they would not if I hadn't read the books.

That's not to say that a seperate criticism of the show wouldn't be fruitful, as the show certainly have enough internal prolbems to critisize. Whether that is inconsistency in continuity and characerisation, or how they to an increasing degree seem to keep the major plot points from the book while changing the circumstances around them in ways that makes the plot plotpoints themselves come across as illogicak or the sloppy handling of the wider show Universe. Honestly, it still boggles my mind to read the amount of fawning reviews that are still being written. Some even claiming they are "Improving on the books." I'm sure there are ways that the books could be improved for the medium television, but is this it?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

This quote by George says a lot, I think.

It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:53 pm

This is hilarious. (kinda.)

http://captainofalltheships.tumblr.com/post/117561063377/chrys-watches-got-s5-ep03

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 pm

I love that guy's recaps. Laughing I hadn't see this one yet though, thanks for posting it!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:44 am

lol! Stan the Man
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am

Oh dang! So that's what happens at the end of the episode! My recording of it cut off right at the end so I missed what happened to Tyrion and his peeing off ledges.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:46 pm

I am still recovering from the Dany-Ho wardrobe malfunction. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:38 pm

https://i.imgur.com/umpuRV1.gifv

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:39 pm

What wardrobe malfunction? She wasn't even in last week's episode.

Oh, the prostitute!
Of course.

I found the weakness towards flattery in the woman who Tyrion talks up to be rather silly. This is someone who has had tears tattooed onto her face to remind her forever of what she is, and to have Tyrion's pick-up-type-lines work on her seems entirely superfluous to what a whore is in this world. I suppose you could argue that his charm overcame her impression of him as being penniless, but it reminded me of Podrick's swanky ways.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Nononononononononononononononoon.. Sad .. no no no no no no no noNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.*sob* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo! Crying or Very sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 am

A customer at worked spoiled a character death in this episode for me today. Mad I don't think he meant anything by it though, and he was entertainingly crabbit about the changes from the book this season. Very Happy Gonna watch the episode this evening.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 am

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 am

I am seriously getting thrown for a loop with how significantly this season is diverging from the books. For all the fretting from readers, the first four seasons stuck closer to the book than expected at almost every major juncture. Here the changes are coming fast and furious and I really don't know what to expect going forward. I know that's how most people have been watching the show from the beginning, but I also have that nagging purist voice inside my head going "this could've been better if they'd stuck closer to the book". Some of my disillusionment may be because we're only getting one episode at a time; I wasn't all that fond of S1 when it first aired and I was watched it live, but I liked it a lot more when I marathoned it a couple years later. It's possible that some of the things I'm unsure about will play out in a satisfying manner over the rest of the season. I know a few things from offseason spoilers/set photos but there's a lot more that I don't know.

I was sad when Barristan died, although the shock element wasn't there since I'd been spoiled on it. I'll miss Grey Worm more, although Barristan did have some really good scenes with Dany, including one earlier in this episode. Although it's becoming predictable how whenever characters start talking about old history or dead relatives for no apparent reason, there's going to be a big revelation coming up. So a lot of this episode felt like rather clumsy set-up for an R+L=J reveal. It probably wouldn't feel clumsy if they hadn't followed this pattern before. I know they can't mention backstory as much or as frequently as the books do, but it sorta feels like they don't decide very far in advance what and when to include and then they start scrambling to throw in foreshadowing and bring the audience up to speed on the necessary backstory.

I agree with Mrs Figg about Emilia Clarke and have felt that way about her for a long while. The kindest thing I can say about her performance is that Dany isn't supposed to be all that mature or experienced and Clarke's shortcomings sometimes end up conveying that well. But yeah, generally speaking, it's a fairly one note performance. :/

I didn't really mean for this post to be so negative. Laughing I had been really looking forward to the High Sparrow but I'm not sure I'm feeling where they're taking that subplot; reserving judgement for later though. I really didn't give a shit about Dorne in AFFC/ADWD but reading tumblr GOT purists has made me think I should give it another chance. In any event, the show's portrayal of Dorne is certainly much shallower and that's rarely a good thing. Speaking of subplots, the Ironborn haven't been mentioned in like ... seven episodes now, and the wildlings who were being held in prison camps at the wall haven't been mentioned in three. Shrugging

I liked the scene between Shireen and Stannis. Melisandre saying "you know nothing, Jon Snow" made me go "oh snap!" and I'm curious to see where they're taking her. Tyrion ... I'm glad his journey isn't going to take as long, although once I came to terms with the fact that he wasn't going to meet Dany in ADWD I was able to appreciate that part of the story a lot more on its own merits. Not sure how I feel about fAegon apparently being cut. The notion of introducing such a major gamechanger in the fifth novel bugged me at the time, but there was some good stuff in that storyline and the Arianne preview chapter of TWOW left me wanting more of

Spoiler:

Can't wait for more Arya and Sexy Jesus next week!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Stan the Man is human after all! whoda thunk it. Very Happy yep that scene was probably my favourite, and I did have a minor goosebump when Melisandre said 'you know nothing Jon Snow'. Razz
still sad over Baristan but looking forward to Ser Friendzone getting his job back. hopefully. after he has to take more sarcasm from Tyrion and the small question of fighting for his life in a bear pit. No true love never runs smooth in Westeros.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 pm

http://captainofalltheships.tumblr.com/post/118167121447/chrys-watches-got-s05-ep04

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Was just reading that. Love those recaps. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Still only seen the first episode of the new season and haven't had anything spoiled. Fingers crossed.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 06, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm impressed you've succeeded at staying spoiler free. Nod Do you intend to catch up or are you waiting to marathon the season once it's over?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Originally I was hoping to catch up, but with the way things are going I'll probably marathon them after it's over.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 pm

I kinda want to marathon S5 once it ends to see if that would make me more forgiving of it, but I doubt I'll feel up to rewatching it right after the finale. I might next year to prepare for S6, though. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Eldorion wrote: I really didn't give a shit about Dorne in AFFC/ADWD but reading tumblr GOT purists has made me think I should give it another chance.

You definitely should. Nod I just went through those chapters. They are a bit disjointed, and having Hotah as your point of view for some of them doesn't add much, but there's so much great stuff there. Arianne and Dorans relationship, Dorans plan 17 years in the making, and I think it gives a really interesting look in at a different approach to ruling. I like to see Dorans opinions on how to rule in context of Tywins. As they have two very different apporaches. Look at the difference of how Tywin dealt with the Casterleys and ho Doran dealt with the Yronwoods. And a little favourite detail of mine is seeing who in the different storylines realizes the futility of crowning Myrcella. Doran does, Illyrio does, Tyrion does with a little prodding from Illyrio. A lot of other people seem to think it a good idea.

Ah, well, you're definitely talking to a convert here. But I really enjoy that storyline.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Some dude was not happy with GoT:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/game-thrones-season-5-review-sons-harpy-was-worst-episode-shows-history-439463

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 09, 2015 8:16 pm

I've yet to see this last episode. And now I have a sinking feeling that yet another character I cared about has died. Sad

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next