Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I agree about Diana Rigg. Cool
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 22 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [2]

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:34 pm

All this talk of Diana Rigg reminded me of this.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 22 Post-46590-Natalie-Dormer-Margaery-Tyrell-WgUh

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 am

Talking Winds of winter. I have no idea where this is from, but it does look quite good.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 22 C2d7e4727ba5760fd372a3251153c167

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am

And the consequences of GRRM not finishing the books before HBO wraps it up:

http://mashable.com/2015/01/30/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin/

Razz

Though I think the HBO team are better screen writers than he is, so since they have the major plot points already, I'm comfortable with that.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:04 am

That's the most smoking picture of Dianna Rigg I've ever seen. It's fun to imagine that lush yet sprightly, dreamy young women peering out through the formidable eyes of Lady Tyrell.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Um.. yeah.. there's definitely something about that picture..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:57 am

halfwise wrote:That's the most smoking picture of Dianna Rigg I've ever seen.  It's fun to imagine that lush yet sprightly, dreamy young women peering out through the formidable eyes of Lady Tyrell.

There are some way more bangin' ones out there on Google, man...
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:50 am

That's a striking choice of phrase. Shocked Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:12 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bangin
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Oh, I knew that. I was just making a (bad) joke. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Well, I've just been Googling her, and though I've found some that show some nice legs and so on, nothing that has quite that look. It's the overall expression and fall of the hair that does it. The black and white may help with the dreaminess, though I wouldn't complain about seeing that picture in color.

If you have some competition for that pic, please post so I can be properly educated. Wink

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:25 pm

... lol! lol!

I can't believe I missed that. Good one, Blue! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Talking Winds of winter. I have no idea where this is from, but it does look quite good.

Wait.. that's not the Horn of Joramun is it? scratch If so, that might give some hints of what's to come. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that cover is fan-made. We're still a long way off from them revealing the cover art.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Ah. It said here it was official,

http://www.pinkisthenewblog.com/2014-03-27/first-look-this-is-what-the-cover-of-george-r-r-martins-new-book-the-winds-of-winter-looks-like

claiming it was officially released here, which doesn't mention it,

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/26/winds-of-winter-sample-chapter

So, I guess that was wrong. Still, looks pretty cool though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Ah.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/q1ukk/my_attempt_at_making_the_winds_of_winter_book/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Still, wouldn't have minded it being the cover.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Looks like someone just misinterpreted the image being used on that EW article (without attribution, because not even print publications care about copyright on the Internet).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Hehe, very true.

I guess half the reason I thought it was real, other than having it read it was, was that it's so good. Someone suggested he/she send it to George.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 22 ONf0L

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Yeah, it definitely fits well with the established covers.

Although those covers annoy me. Not because they're bad -- I like 'em plenty -- but because back when I bought the first four books (the only ones out at the time) they had a totally different cover system, so my copy of ADWD looks really out of place next to the others. Mad

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 22 27Xwjg2
(This version of ADWD is a mock-up; it was never printed or AFAIK even official.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Ah, yes. That is really annoying.

I was buying my way through the Patrick O'Brian series, which consisted of these beautiful paperbacks, and halfway through they started printing them as the 40th anniversary series, using the same covers, but the spine of the book now blue and.. yeah, really annoying.

That aDwDs cover looks pretty good too.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:10 pm

yeah I hate higgldypiggldy books as well
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Just went through this part. It's fun to see how Ned keeps affecting the story, even long after his untimely demise.

Lord Godric began to eat his trencher, tearing it apart in his big hands. The stew had softened the stale bread. “I have no love for northmen,” he announced. “The maesters say the Rape of the Three Sisters was two thousand years ago, but Sisterton has not forgotten. We were a free people before that, with our kings ruling over us. Afterward, we had to bend our knees to the Eyrie to get the northmen out. The wolf and the falcon fought over us for a thousand years, till between the two of them they had gnawed all the fat and flesh off the bones of these poor islands. As for your King Stannis, when he was Robert’s master of ships he sent a fleet into my port without my leave and made me hang a dozen fine friends. Men like you. He went so far as to threaten to hang me if it should happen that some ship went aground because the Night Lamp had gone black. I had to eat his arrogance.” He ate some of the trencher. “Now he comes north humbled, with his tail between his legs. Why should I give him any aid? Answer me that.”

Because he is your rightful king, Davos thought. Because he is a strong man and a just one, the only man who can restore the realm and defend it against the peril that gathers in the north. Because he has a magic sword that glows with the light of the sun. The words caught in his throat. None of them would sway the Lord of Sweetsister. None of them would get him a foot closer to White Harbor. What answer does he want? Must I promise him gold we do not have? A highborn husband for his daughter’s daughter? Lands, honors, titles? Lord Alester Florent had tried to play that game, and the king had burned him for it.

“The Hand has lost his tongue, it seems. He has no taste for sister’s stew, or truth.” Lord Godric wiped his mouth.

“The lion is dead,” said Davos, slowly. “There’s your truth, my lord. Tywin Lannister is dead.”

“What if he is?”

“Who rules now in King’s Landing? Not Tommen, he is just a child. Is it Ser Kevan?”

Candlelight gleamed in Lord Godric’s black eyes. “If it were, you’d be in chains. It’s the queen who rules.”

Davos understood. He nurses doubts. He does not want to find himself upon the losing side. “Stannis held Storm’s End against the Tyrells and the Redwynes. He took Dragonstone from the last Targaryens. He smashed the Iron Fleet off Fair Isle. This child king will not prevail against him.”

“This child king commands the wealth of Casterly Rock and the power of Highgarden. He has the Boltons and the Freys.” Lord Godric rubbed his chin. “Still … in this world only winter is certain. Ned Stark told my father that, here in this very hall.”

“Ned Stark was here?”

“At the dawn of Robert’s Rebellion. The Mad King had sent to the Eyrie for Stark’s head, but Jon Arryn sent him back defiance. Gulltown stayed loyal to the throne, though. To get home and call his banners, Stark had to cross the mountains to the Fingers and find a fisherman to carry him across the Bite. A storm caught them on the way. The fisherman drowned, but his daughter got Stark to the Sisters before the boat went down. They say he left her with a bag of silver and a bastard in her belly. Jon Snow, she named him, after Arryn.

“Be that as it may. My father sat where I sit now when Lord Eddard came to Sisterton. Our maester urged us to send Stark’s head to Aerys, to prove our loyalty. It would have meant a rich reward. The Mad King was open-handed with them as pleased him. By then we knew that Jon Arryn had taken Gulltown, though. Robert was the first man to gain the wall, and slew Marq Grafton with his own hand. ‘This Baratheon is fearless,’ I said. ‘He fights the way a king should fight.’ Our maester chuckled at me and told us that Prince Rhaegar was certain to defeat this rebel. That was when Stark said, ‘In this world only winter is certain. We may lose our heads, it’s true … but what if we prevail?’ My father sent him on his way with his head still on his shoulders. ‘If you lose,’ he told Lord Eddard, ‘you were never here.’ ”

“No more than I was,” said Davos Seaworth.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:56 pm

So, I thought I'd collect a couple of quotes on the Horn of Joramun, as we were talking about it. Smile Can't seem to find where it says it will bring down the Wall though. scratch But it seems the characters in the story asssumes it would. Shrugging

And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth.
- Said by Jon Snow about 10 times

The whole Horn of Joramun thing is pretty interesting to look into. And I guess we have a couple of contenders for the actual horn. We have the horn that Mance found and Mel burned.

Mance was not wearing armor, but his own sword was sheathed on his left hip. And there were other weapons in the tent, daggers and dirks, a bow and a quiver of arrows, a bronze-headed spear lying beside that big black...horn.
Jon sucked in his breath.
A warhorn, a bloody great warhorn.
“Yes,” Mance said. “The Horn of Winter, that Joramun once blew to wake giants from the earth.”
The horn was huge, eight feet along the curve and so wide at the mouth that he could have put his arm inside up to the elbow. If this came from an aurochs, it was the biggest that ever lived. At first he thought the bands around it were bronze, but when he moved closer he realized they were gold. Old gold, more brown than yellow, and graven with runes.

Mance and his Leutenants told the wildlings at large that the search for it was unfruitful.

“Not for fear!” She kicked savagely at the ice beneath her with a heel, chopping out a chunk. “I’m crying because we never found the Horn of Winter. We opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the Horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!”

Mance told Jon it was real,

“Ygritte said you never found the horn.”
“Did you think only crows could lie? I liked you well enough, for a bastard... but I never trusted you. A man needs to earn my trust.”
Jon faced him. “If you’ve had the Horn of Joramun all along, why haven’t you used it? Why bother building turtles and sending Therns to kill us in our beds? If this horn is all the songs say, why not just sound it and be done?”
It was Dalla who answered him, Dalla great with child, lying on her pile of furs beside the brazier. “We free folk know things you kneelers have forgotten. Sometimes the short road is not the safest, Jon Snow. The Homed Lord once said that sorcery is a sword without a hilt. There is no safe way to grasp it.”

though Tormund claimed it was false after Stannis arrival and the capture of Mance ,

She burned that fine big horn, aye. A bloody sin, I call it. A thousand years old, that was. We found it in a giant’s grave, and no man o’ us had ever seen a horn so big. That must have been why Mance got the notion to tell you it were Joramun’s. He wanted you crows to think he had it in his power to blow your bloody Wall down about your knees. But we never found the true horn, not for all our digging. If we had, every kneeler in your Seven Kingdoms would have chunk’s o’ ice to cool his wine all summer.

So, is it the real thing or not? It seems not is the most likely. Though it's hard to know.

And then there is the horn Jon found at the fist with the obsidion weapons. But that was wrapped in a nightwatch cloak, and Joramun was a King beyond the Wall. So why would a man of the night watch have it? I think that unlikely as well.

And the third option I guess is that it's still out there. From Jons thoughts.

Had Mance Rayder lied to him, or was Tormund lying now? If Mance’s horn was just a feint, where is the true horn?

That's where it gets a bit scary for the realms of men. The fear being the Others would get hold of it and use it to bring down the wall. The Others are quite obscure and undefined in the books. We know little about them, we know little about their goals. In the show though, and I guess you could call this a show spoiler, they introduced the Night King. Which gives us a clear antogonist. The Night King was a Commander of the Nights watch who married an Other and turned against the realms of men. And interestingly Joramund used the horn to raise giants from the earth when he and a King in the north combined forces to defeat no other than the Night King. It might be poignant then for the Night King to get hold of the horn and use it to bring down the wall.

It has to be said though that whether the Night King has his basis in Georges writing or if it's a character the show runners introduced themselves to give the series a clear antagonist is unclear. I think they stated when the Night King first appeared that they based the scene more on conjecture from what was already written and released than any inside information from George. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It will either way be interesting to see  what role the horn ends up playing.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 44 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 33 ... 44  Next