Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 am

I get driven crazy by people who say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I couldn't care less".

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 am

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm

what about that was 'donkeys years ago' as in, a long time ago. Donkeys dont live that long.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:36 pm

And when people say 'dont be out after dark', well, why not ? after dark comes light doesnt it ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Oh, come now people. It's just a silly goofy action movie. If you removed Tolkiens name from it people would be going; "Meh. It's kind of funny, but nothing special."

Certainly not anything worth dying over. Neither literally or metaphorically.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 am

Mrs Figg wrote:and?......

And it wasn't as bad as AUJ, but it was still a load of rubbish.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:10 pm

That's one I didn't expect - better than AUJ! I thought AUJ had its moments at least, DOS was 100% horrible. Interesting Very Happy

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 pm

AUJ made me feel embarrassed to be in the theatre at some points.... DOS didn't.

Also, DOS seemed to have more made up stuff which I found easier to distance from the book whereas AUJ seemed to be based more on the book content, just with stupid little changes.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 am

DOS was less of a botched adaptation and more of a bad stand-alone film, so it wasn't as embarrassing. What's embarrassing are the ways people react to moments in the film. Laughing and ooing and ahhing Evil or Very Mad The fan reactions and overindulgence in made up "appendices" info also is too much to handle sometimes. They're pulling stuff out of thin air, just like their master PJ has done.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:02 am

Well... since I was hiding behind my little screen on the plane, nobody else knew I was watching DOS so was a little different to being at the cinema. I felt good that I hadnt paid to go see it... I wont be going to see TBOTFA either!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 am

<deleted>

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Ayup FS...

As so will I. But OH ! how shall the terrible void after this be filled ??? After all, there's only so much bitching a body can do. Even here. what I'm waiting for of course is the full fat triple Blu-Ray Hobbit EE box set to come out before I commit to spending actual money , other than Cinema admissions, on it. And before even then, I may find something on a car boot sale...

And finally, there's the 24 Hrs plus or whatever the running times come to, for both TH AND LOTR EEs to watch them in sequence... Then I probably wont look at them for at least a year !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I'd have to say I agree with Lance.

Though I'm keeping two thoughts in the head at once here. If you're looking at the two movies as adaptations, there's a few moments that stays quite close to the spirit of Tolkien in AUJ. Along with moments that leans heavily towards Jacksons spirit and sense of humour. In DOS there's very little that even hints at the spirit of the original story, in my opinion.

As adaptations then I, and I understand people who come to the films through their love of the source material could, would prefer AUJ. Or at least see it as the better fo the two.

As standalone films however AUJ is such a mismatched collection of parts pulling in different directions, just for the same reason as stated above, that it really struggles to stay a coherent movie. DOS on the other hand is more consistent, in leaning almost completely in the Jackson direction. A better movie, but a worse adaptation.

DOS to me seems just another silly goofy action movie. And if you removed the Tolkien connection people would probably go "Meh, nothing special," but it wouldn't inspire the hate it seemingly does because of that connection.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Maybe "Guardians of the Galaxy ish, but not as good." would sum DOS up pretty well? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

DOS to me seems just another silly goofy action movie. And if you removed the Tolkien connection people would probably go "Meh, nothing special," but it wouldn't inspire the hate it seemingly does because of that connection.

I don't disagree, Blue.

But hypothetically if you did remove the Tolkien connection from DoS, the resulting "DoS-goofy-action-film" would probably only draw one or two percent of the box office profits of "DoS-Tolkien-linked-film", if it was lucky.  More likely it would have run  for a just few weeks in the cinemas and then gone straight to DVD and Netflix with no talk of a sequel.  

That's a big difference financially!

If you think about the collective audience as one person, they've significantly overpaid for what they received. I'd guess the collective anger (if you could measure such things) is probably proportional to the collective inflated profits. Mad

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 UJpDi In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 pm

I caught 5 minutes of DOS the other day on tv, my gaze skimmed over it rather like it was wearing an Elven cloak, it didnt arrest my attention, couldnt focus on it, but then I was extremely bored.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:26 pm

Bluebottle wrote:As standalone films however AUJ is such a mismatched collection of parts pulling in different directions, just for the same reason as stated above, that it really struggles to stay a coherent movie. DOS on the other hand is more consistent, in leaning almost completely in the Jackson direction. A better movie, but a worse adaptation.

Yeah, I completely agree. If I wasn't a Tolkien fan I'd probably feel similarly about this as I did with any other mediocre (give or take) blockbuster movie.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 am

I'd really only be interested in the dragon if it was a stand alone film. And I'd have to watch an entire two hours before I even got to see it

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 20 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:As standalone films however AUJ is such a mismatched collection of parts pulling in different directions, just for the same reason as stated above, that it really struggles to stay a coherent movie. DOS on the other hand is more consistent, in leaning almost completely in the Jackson direction. A better movie, but a worse adaptation.

Yeah, I completely agree.  If I wasn't a Tolkien fan I'd probably feel similarly about this as I did with any other mediocre (give or take) blockbuster movie.

As far as big blockbusters go, I really liked Pacific Rim. I don't know how I would feel about DOS since it's very difficult to remove Tolkien from that equation.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I caught 5 minutes of DOS the other day on tv, my gaze skimmed over it rather like it was wearing an Elven cloak, it didnt arrest my attention, couldnt focus on it, but then I was extremely bored.

I can't remember connecting at all to most of DOS it just passed over me, making no real impression positive or negative, I was surprised I didn't even care enough to get annoyed, I felt more of a connection to Expendables 2... I haven't watched it since, and I'm not really looking forward to watching it again, but I kinda feel like I have to, it took me three viewings of AUJ to form a relatively indifferent opinion.

DOS is already showing on TV?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

yeah on Sky cinema.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:22 pm

lol!  yeah that black guyliner was kinda cool ala Gary Numan
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

Yeah, I completely agree.  If I wasn't a Tolkien fan I'd probably feel similarly about this as I did with any other mediocre (give or take) blockbuster movie.

As far as big blockbusters go, I really liked Pacific Rim. I don't know how I would feel about DOS since it's very difficult to remove Tolkien from that equation.

Yeah, true. It's an interesting mental exercise though. And I think it's good to keep be aware of exactly what one is discussing, if you start mixing arguments from thses different discussions it quickly becomes pretty muddled. It also allows you to look at things from another angle, as it's hard to do little else but condemn these movies as adaptations. And it helps in understanding people who really enjoy these movies.

As movies they're "meh," and I can see how people can enjoy them. Well, DOS is. I have issues with AUJ just as a movie, as well.

That's not to say that I don't think the criticism of the movies as adaptations aren't valid. I do understand that people can feel cheated, as David suggested, or that they can be seen as reflecting badly on the subject matter or.. oh, there's probably too many to list. They just shouldn't play a role in discussion of the movies as simply movies, which, to my mind, I see them doing a little too often.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next