Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 am

Laughing 

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:35 am

"You can unearth thousands of priceless artifacts while plowing the fields or digging ditches and post holes. Do you get any credit?" - David

I get the feeling we've been on this subject before, but in Norway there are plenty of farmers who find stuff and never say anything about it as the government practically seizes their property and they get nothing in return.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 pm

The way it is over here, if you find something of significance you're supposed to report it. If you're constructing something and everything goes ideally, your project may only be delayed a few days or weeks while an archaeological SWAT team does an assessment.

But if there is any evidence of Native American graves being disturbed, all bets are off. There has been a recent act of Congress called the Native American Graves and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) and some far-reaching federal court decisions that trump almost any right of ownership. Best thing to do for everybody is just put you shovel down and walk away.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 UJpDi In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:09 am

Ayup Jason...

Nice and Eloquent points as usual. I'm having the same kind of argument with someone on TORN, who sees no wrong from Peter Jackson... He's another of the disconcertingly larger and more vocal amount of 'Fans' who now seem to want to force the film rights issue for the SIlmarillion. Safe I know whilst Christopher Tolkien is alive, but whither when he's dead ? will the Tolkien Estate trade the money from a Silmarillion film to pay death duties just as Tolkien did to settle HIS Tax bill ? I sure hope not.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:35 am

It's highly unlikely that Christopher's successors at the Estate will sell the rights, and that's assuming that his will allows them to do so.  The Estate is also pretty stable financially; they are able to donate generously to charity; that's actually one of their main functions.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:09 am

Well there you go then. All quiet on the Western Front.
It is only the local fools who are claiming they see marching armies on the horizon.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 am

Eldorion wrote:It's highly unlikely that Christopher's successors at the Estate will sell the rights, and that's assuming that his will allows them to do so.  The Estate is also pretty stable financially; they are able to donate generously to charity; that's actually one of their main functions.

Ayu Eldo...

And I know and appreciate that, but there are those elsewhere who are suggesting 'spin-offs' titled something like 'Tales of Numenor' or 'Tales of the Northmen' which may be skewed to be close (but no cigar !) to the Silmarillion... But it's all still pressure, isn't it ?

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Well some of that stuff could arguably be made because the Appendices discuss Numenor and the Northmen, but the vast majority of our knowledge of those groups comes from Unfinished Tales, so the Estate might try to challenge such an adaptation even though they've turned a blind eye to PJ's slight borrowing from UT thus far. Any potential spin-off project would have to tread a very fine line with regards to source material they have access to.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Im feeling that after this fiasco that is The Hobbit the Tolkien Est will double up their security & make sure any Will is water tight. I should also imagine any Will, if made, will be read thrice over by competant officials to make sure it IS water tight & that no grubby little New Zealander or any other grubby grasping greedy git can make profit out of the Tolkien name. Plus, legalities are bloody expensive, writs & notices are expensive. So can bad publicity be also.Amazing how all these years later, after Tolkien has sailed off for Valinor, we are still worried by & talking of.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Ayup Eldo...

But its such a tenuous link to exploit innit ? All I see in my head is something akin to 'Mortal Kombat'... The series !

Azzy, as to any will, I'm glad that there are still folks that care about the profs Legacy.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Thanks Forest- I put it here- http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=767925;page=2;sb=post_time;so=DESC;mh=25;guest=118797898

Unfortunately the following exchange between Bombadil and myself has been pulled and is no longer there- although I do notice that someone else has responded since last I looked at that thread.

Excellent work there Mr. Petty, as usual you hit the nail soundly upon the head. Your points are well stated and I don't see how any reasonable true lover of the book could argue them. Of course there is the standard response of " I think the movies are great and Jackson did a great job"
I wish there was a emoticon of someone poking their own eyes out I would use it at this juncture.

Keep up the good work.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 pm

You will all be pleased to know DOS was a film on the plane to the U.S when we flew here so I have finally put myself through it.

All I will say for now is that I am glad I didnt have much else to do at the time.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm

and?......
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:05 pm

And I thought plane travel was uncomfortable enough as is. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Good God, I would not be caught dead watching that film in public.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Funny turn of phrase scratch We British say that also. If you were dead you wouldnt be ABLE to watch it Wink

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 am

"If you were dead you wouldnt be ABLE to watch it"

Oh, how I wish. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Now, Bungo, I hope you mean you wish the HOBBIT was dead ( & buried ) cos if not ?......IL have to come right over and spank your arse with................a really soft feather pillow till you DO end up laughing ! AND iL have to sing ALL the Disney songs I know, no matter how out of tune ! OK ?!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Someone once said the stupidest wish in the english language was "I wish I was dead," said in moments when someone is doing something horrible to you. As it obviously should be "I wish you were dead" to whoever is doing it.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Mmmmm agreed, We never really think what we are saying half the time.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Or the modern use of "to die for". Mad
There are a few principles I'd be willing to give my life for (though not eagerly), but things like chocolate cake and good wine just don't make that list. Rolling Eyes

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 UJpDi In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Yep, thats another silly one, & used so glibbly. "Cant wait for."....... is another. well you 'll just have to wait wont you, what other alternative is there ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Have your cake and eat it too.... what else are you supposed to do with cake when you have it? I thought eating it would be the minimum requirement....?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 am

The Fjordian version of "Have your cake and eat it too" is a little better, I think: "To get (something) in both bag and backpack".

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 19 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 am

Lancebloke wrote:Have your cake and eat it too.... what else are you supposed to do with cake when you have it? I thought eating it would be the minimum requirement....?

I never got that one either, but someone I read/heard once that the original version was "eat your cake and still have it", which makes a lot more sense.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next