Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Whew...for a moment there I was worried there you were gonna subject us to a 10 minute mashup of the love scenes from Attack of the Clones. Brrr...

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Hobbit 2: Electric Boogaloo opens to $31 mil on Friday. $6 mil lower than AUJ's $37 mil.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=vs-lotr.htm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I saw it described on another board it as "Hobbit 2: Wood Elves on Patrol" Very Happy

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdom4madness Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:57 pm

halfwise wrote:
wisdom4madness wrote:
Also just wanted to share the replica ring I found with all the movies. 1 ring

Do you actually have that ring?  Or are you trying to get us to enter the give-away?  Suspect 

I entered the giveaway. And was just sharing it.

wisdom4madness

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 Empty Dont forget the birds.

Post by wisdom4madness Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
Tinuviel wrote:Another thing that bugged me was how much Smaug knew about current events, particularly Sauron. How did he know Bilbo was wearing the Ring? And how did he get him to take it off? It's something you're just supposed to accept, but it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Yeah interesting since Smaug hadn't been seen since destroying Erebor and Dale all those years ago. Another downfall IMO to Jackson shortening the years between Smaug taking the mountain and the dwarfs quest.  I thought Smaug himself was well executed but I didn't get why they felt the need to have Bilbo put on the ring only to take it off and talk directly to Smaug. I prefer Tolkien's version where Bilbo stays hidden from the dragon. And the whole dwarfs fighting back stuff was crap.

In the end of the first one. The birds were communicating with Smaug by tapping rocks on the mountain. It happened again just before Bilbo found the key hole. I thought it was obvious what they were doing.

wisdom4madness

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:22 pm

wisdom4madness wrote:In the end of the first one. The birds were communicating with Smaug by tapping rocks on the mountain. It happened again just before Bilbo found the key hole. I thought it was obvious what they were doing.

Were the brids tapping in morse code or something? I didn't pick up on that at all, though perhaps it's because I assumed the bird was based on the thrush of the book, who is a good guy.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:On Star Wars prequel trilogy vs TH trilogy - the SW prequel trilogy kicks TH so hard in the ass, and the SW prequels had Jar Jar Binks.

To each his own, but I can't agree with that at all. Shrugging I would much rather rewatch AUJ or DOS than any of the Star Wars prequels (except maybe Revenge of the Sith).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Norc wrote:Love hurts. No but srsly, cumverbatxh has ALOT of good movies too, and more coming up. E.g that alan turing movie.

Well I haven't seen any of his early movies, so I can't comment on them, but he's only been a big name for a year or two. Shrugging I do hope that his future movies are good and successful, though. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:06 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Those bastards! Mad

Gustavo Fring Bilbo Baggins: I will kill your infant daughter spider!

What really drove home the comparison for me is that after Bilbo raged out and stabbed the spider to death, he picked up the Ring and shoved it in its face and hissed "Mine!" It seriously felt like something Walter White would say.

And Laughing @ the mashup video

Eldorion wrote:Are you sure? A Stalinist dictatorship town swarming with guards and spies is suddenly deserted for the sake of an action scene? To think having the guards there would have made the action scene bigger? Isn't that what Jackson wants?

The dwarves giving up when they're at the secret door? All the dumb-Gandalf stuff? It all sounds pretty Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to me.

I mean ... there's a lot of dumb shit here. There's no getting around that (and I said as much in my initial very brief reaction post Razz). But I don't think it's as bad as TPM or AOTC. The emotional beats are there, even if they're weak and too few, and Thorin is actually IMO noticeably better this film. At least until the very end during the fight with Smaug. Although this is me trying to be as charitable as possible in my assessment of DOS; I may grow harsher over the course of the next year. Razz

Eldorion wrote:I'm going to hate this movie, aren't I. No

I enjoyed your review Eldo, and at this point I'm pretty much spoiled for the entire movie, so I'll know what's going to happen. I have no expectations for this movie. Actually I think I have negative expectations for this movie.

You wouldn't want to have bad taste, would you? Wink

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Smile I was pretty thoroughly spoiled myself, although there were a number of minor things I hadn't known to expect, which I did appreciate. The utter lack of expectation contributed to my very slight feelings of positivity at the end.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Radaghast wrote:Thanks for that review/description. Really kills any curiosity I might have had. I also think a small part of me might have died after reading it, which is not a reflection on your writing but on PoS DoS.

Anyway, I know all I need to about this movie. Thanks to all who've posted reviews.

No problem; I'm glad people are reading it. Smile I do think you should watch the movie at some point just to see for yourself, but totally wait until its on TV or something if you don't want to pay.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Anyone else also find it ridiculous that all the dwarves gave up and left when they couldn't get inside the mountain door? As if you would spend months and months preparing, travelling and risking death multiple times only to give up and go home the instant something doesn't work first time... Felt like such an obvious and cheap effort to make things more dramatic when it really wasn't required.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:Love hurts. No but srsly, cumverbatxh has ALOT of good movies too, and more coming up. E.g that alan turing movie.

Well I haven't seen any of his early movies, so I can't comment on them, but he's only been a big name for a year or two. Shrugging I do hope that his future movies are good and successful, though. Thumbs Up

I do think it's a bit of a shame Cumberbatch is being turned into a bad guy actor by Hollywood. Though I have always had the impression that you americans see the english as slightly sinister as a rule. Laughing I do feel he has the talent to do a whole lot more though.

Actually, I was floating the idea to a friend of mine not to long ago that he might have made a good Bilbo.

Now if there was an "the most obviously baiting post" at the awards I'm sure that one would win hands down.  Nod  Still, I see it got the desired response. Laughing

Last edited by Bluebottle on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm

That happened way too much throughout the entire movie. They couldn't trust the story they had, so they raised the stakes at every moment. Instead of relying on the actors, they relied on the script, which as absolute shit.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Now if there was an "the most obviously baiting post" at the awards I'm sure that one would win hands down.  Nod  Still, I see it got the desired response. Laughing

I was deliberately being a snarky asshole but I wasn't trying to bait anyone. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Really?

Well your subconcious certainly did a good job of it then. Nod 

I'll withdraw my comment though, I don't want to get dragged down in libel actions. Laughing 

I was mainly refering to the original Cumberbatch comment in your review, which I enjoyed reading by the way.  Smile 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Radaghast wrote:Thanks for that review/description. Really kills any curiosity I might have had. I also think a small part of me might have died after reading it, which is not a reflection on your writing but on PoS DoS.

Anyway, I know all I need to about this movie. Thanks to all who've posted reviews.

No problem; I'm glad people are reading it. :)I do think you should watch the movie at some point just to see for yourself, but totally wait until its on TV or something if you don't want to pay.
If it ever gets the RiffTrax treatment, I'll borrow a copy from the library. They've still to take on AUJ, though, so it may be a while Very Happy
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I was mainly refering to the original Cumberbatch comment in your review, which I enjoyed reading by the way.  Smile 

I really wasn't trying to criticize Cumberbatch, I was just saying that his recent choice of roles have been pretty forgettable. That's not his fault, since he was one of the best things about both STID and DOS, but I don't think either of those movies are going to be remembered for very long except as footnotes to their predecessors.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Radaghast wrote:If it ever gets the RiffTrax treatment, I'll borrow a copy from the library. They've still to take on AUJ, though, so it may be a while Very Happy

That would be fun to watch. Very Happy I've seen clips of their LOTR trax and they're great. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:49 pm

It's funny but I have yet to see those Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:I really wasn't trying to criticize Cumberbatch, I was just saying that his recent choice of roles have been pretty forgettable.  That's not his fault, since he was one of the best things about both STID and DOS, but I don't think either of those movies are going to be remembered for very long except as footnotes to their predecessors.

Never said you did.  Wink 

It just came across to me as searching for a reaction, which it got. If that was just in my reading, nevermind.  Shrugging 

I do partly agree with you on both points. Yes, Cumberbatch should take great care if the roles he chooses now. They will end up defining his future career.

And yes, the total irreverence to Tolkien, the quality of their original writing and the overconfidence in the latest technology will mean these movies will age very quickly. I've seen quite a bit of early green screen from the 70s, and in a couple of years all of Jacksons state of the art technology will look as silly as that does now. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Sitting in the theater. Movie starts in 8 minutes. Wish me luck.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Eldorion wrote:
To each his own, but I can't agree with that at all.

Agree to disagree it is Nod

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Sitting in the theater. Movie starts in 8 minutes. Wish me luck.

I can't wait to hear what you think of it, bungo! Very Happy

Ringdrotten wrote:Agree to disagree it is Nod

Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Good luck, bungo. Hope you don't feel it's a total waste of time and/or money.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Well I just got back from my Free viewing of DOS. The theater had all of 12 people in it...all I can say right now is  slap laugh   :facepalm: 
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next