Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 4 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by David H Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:30 am

I know. It's the curse of literacy. Sometimes I envy you (apparently).
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Orwell Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 am

Literacy! scratch Who's that then?  Are you sure you don't mean Liberace? Shrugging

{{{Bloody Americans - can't even spell the Queen's English! (apparently)}}}.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:47 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 am

Great find, Chris! Very Happy I hadn't seen anything like that before. Interesting stuff, and confirmation of what we'd speculated about Beorn chasing the Company. Still have to wait and see why he's chasing them into his house though.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 am

There won't be a food fight in Beorn's house? Thank goodness.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 am

At least Beorn still has a house and isn't a crazy person who lives on the bones of his enemies or something.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:34 am

Firstly, Denny's again? bleh

Secondly, "Bay-orn?" Pourquoi? I am familiar with the pronunciation being "Bee-orn." (The man is known for his bees, I mean, you know. Nudge, nudge.)

Thirdly, how many bloody times will I have to see and hear trailer-version "Shmawugh" say "Step into the light" and blast Bilbo with flames at the same time? Clearly the film version will not perform this series of actions, or at least probably will not. I mean, why would Smaug ask Bilbo to come forth (into the light) from concealment (the shadows) if he already knew where he was (as in, knew where to fire-blast him)? Of course this is ignoring the fact that we know Bilbo is not incinerated by Smaug at any time in The Hobbit.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am

WB is really pulling out all the stops with the marketing campaign here.  They're probably worried since AUJ did not quite live up to expectations at the box office.  Unfortunately, while the most recent trailer was great, this clip is ... not.  IMO. Video at the link, transcript below.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11/11/82132-see-the-desolation-of-smaug-clip-shown-at-the-mtv-european-music-awards/

Legolas: You were tracking the Company of 13 dwarves. Why?
Tauriel: Answer the question, filth.
Orc (in an Orcish dialect): I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!
Legolas: I would not antagonise her.
Tauriel: You like killing things, orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you.
Thranduil (in Sindarin): Enough! Tauriel, leave! Go now.

*Tauriel leaves*

Thranduil: I do not care about one dead dwarf. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free.
Legolas: You had orders to kill him. Why? what is Thorin Oakenshield to you?
Orc: The dwarf runt will never be king again.
Legolas: There is no King under the Mountain, nor will there ever be.
Thranduil: None would dare enter Erebor whilst the dragon lives.
Orc: You know nothing, your world will burn.
Legolas: What are you talking about? Speak!
Orc: Your time has come again. My master serves The One. Do you understand now, elfling? Death is upon you. The flames of war are upon you.
I know that complaining about how bad the Coven's writing is when they try to add their own words is in vogue, but they weren't always this bad, were they?  It can't just be nostalgia.  I really need to watch LOTR again though; it's been a couple of years for me.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 am

Wow, that was really bad. Evil or Very Mad 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:45 am

they weren't always this bad, were they?- Eldo

Yes! What the bloody hell do you think I've been complaining about for the last however many years its been. Mad They suck, they cant write even vaguely in Tolkien's style, its Tolkien as written by someone who has never read or heard any Tolkien and who is only capable of speaking in clichés and sub-par rpg fantasy dialogue.
I've played xbox games that are better written than this piss. And there are no well written xbox games Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 am

They do love a bit of 'She-Elf' action don't they.

Still... an entirely fanfic piece of film there trying to put more links in to the LotRs.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
I've played xbox games that are better written than this piss. And there are no well written xbox games Mad 
Ey! Mad Red Dead Redemption had some really good writing, I thought, especially the "I Know You" stranger mission. Loved that one Smile As to that peace piss of dialogue Eldo quoted, I couldn't agree more - it is shit with another type of shit smeared all over it Sad

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Red Dead Redemption had some really good writing- Ringdrotten

It had believable characters I'd give it that- and actually yes it was well written, in that it deliberately used every western writing cliché in the book, whilst keeping an authentic sound and feel to characters and dialogue.

The Coven stuff is clichéd not by intent but through its major property of being total shit. And it sounds about as far away from genuine Tolkien as its possible to get.
Seriously I read something like that exchange above and I look at the content, the character representation, the usage of words, the structuring of the sentences- and I have to wonder if they have actually ever read any Tolkien at all, really, ever.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm

It's an unreal experience reading the giddy comments that follow something that bad. TORN idiots. Even the sets and the orc makeup look horrible: more like a stage play than a hundred million dollar film. The poor actors were trying so hard to turn it into something, but just couldn't.

And now we find we don't even get the dwarves appearing two by two at Beorn's house. Another iconic scene on the garbage dump.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm afraid to watch the clip. I just woke up, and I don't really feel like cringing at the moment.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Official TORn spoiler space
heh, lel.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Firstly, Denny's again? bleh
The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 4 1359021372941

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm

After reading the transcript I think I won't watch it. In fact reading the transcript motivates me to not see the movie if all the dialogue is going to be that bad. I understand they have to make a lot of it up because they want three movies and a lot of money, but good grief, at least put forth your best effort.

Do you think that dialogue was a last minute re-write? Wink 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Eldorion wrote:I know that complaining about how bad the Coven's writing is when they try to add their own words is in vogue, but they weren't always this bad, were they?  It can't just be nostalgia.  I really need to watch LOTR again though; it's been a couple of years for me.
It's nostalgia. When I re-watched LOTR a few years ago I shocked at how corny most of the dialogue was.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:31 pm

halfwise wrote:It's an unreal experience reading the giddy comments that follow something that bad.  TORN idiots.  Even the sets and the orc makeup look horrible: more like a stage play than a hundred million dollar film.  The poor actors were trying so hard to turn it into something, but just couldn't.
Found this on the torn forum concerning the dialogue in that scene,

This is better than quite a lot of what Tolkien wrote in the Hobbit.
I quit, I'm done. That comment is just. What is this, I don't even.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Theres no comparison with LOTR. Absolutely none.

This Hobbit stuff screams out its so bad and cliched, the quality is not anywhere as good as LOTR which I have always found to be very good, I have never understood the complaints against it. There is no dialogue in LOTR that is as in your face rubbish like Tauriel speaks.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Its not just Tauriel Figgy.... its all of them.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

ok its all of them, but I wish people would leave LOTR out of this sorry mess. No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Well from my point of view people are just late to the crabbit party- I have been complaining about the Covens inablity to write or even understand Tolkien's style since LotR's- with its lack of book dialogue, modernised dialogue in its place, anachronistic words and sentence structuring and a general lack of appreciation and disrespect for the language.
Yeah TH is even worse because they have made even more up as a percentage of the whole than they did with LotR's- but the standard is about the same- its just now there is more of their own stuff in larger sustained chunks its even more glaring.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't have as much of a problem with LotR dialogue as you do Petty, but there is some shit in there.

Also, after watching RotK last week, I noticed one bit of acting that I really dislike. The bit where Elrond is at Dunharrow (Petty - shut up) and is having some kind of seizure while talking about the 'army that is more deadly that any that walks the earth.'

I think the line was to long for him to be that intense.... looks like something has gone wrong in his brain.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next