Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

+16
Tinuviel
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
leelee
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
chris63
Mrs Figg
Ringdrotten
Amarië
RA
Sinister71
malickfan
20 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book... - Page 6 Empty Re: Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

Post by RA Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:22 am

I was referring to how hostile Bree has become.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book... - Page 6 Empty Re: Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:38 am

My mistake. I agree about the tone of the forum, though, yeah.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:49 am

I have heard you mention it before which makes me so interested,, you all seem to have a love -hate relationship with that place.
Why on earth would they be hostile, it is unfathomable to me.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:04 am

leelee wrote:Why on earth would they be hostile, it is unfathomable to me.
There are some people who are very passionate about what they believe. That can make for some very interesting conversations.

But sometimes because they know they're right, they assume everybody else must be wrong. And then they say so. That doesn't make for very interesting conversations.

That's why I drifted over here. More respect for differences. It's just more interesting.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:27 pm

I think the creativity and wider ranging topics here tends to mellow people towards the differences. Petty is still Petty in Bree, but his combativeness there tends to turn people off more than here, where the multifaceted nature of people are revealed. And there's many who are equally as combative there, with nothing to sweeten it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Petty is still Petty in Bree, but his combativeness there tends to turn people off more than here- Halfy

Hey I refuse to take any blame for Bree- I always toned the crabbit down over there, well a bit, oh all right, not at all, but Im still not taking the blame Evil or Very Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 pm

but we wouldn't have you any other way, here.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 pm

I'd ban Mister Tyrant if I could, but as Eldo is soooo bloody tolerant and won't listen to my constant entreaties for his banishment, Petty remains! Mad

{{{Thank Eru for Little Forumshire I say}}}.

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 am

From my understanding from the powers that be over at Bree the programmer is working on some things (I'm not sure what) But I know they have been telling me for months about restructuring the site and making it a bit more user friendly. To the best Of my knowledge it should be back up in less than a week. Hopefully those who posted over there will come back once the new owners get the kinks worked out and post once in a while.

I can't speak for Stu over there and am not sure he will remain a mod over there once they finish changing things around. But as far as myself I have been trying to be more optimistic and open minded letting my own views take a backseat to my mod duties. Which has been a struggle with all the spam and such. But I still keep it cleaned up once a week or so in the odd chance someone will swing by to check it out.

I will say I think Stu was out of line several times and made personal attacks on guests and members. Which IMO was totally uncool. Something Figgs and I both said to him a few times. Until Bree is completely dead I will be keeping it cleaned up and posting new info on it. Not to mention posting here just so Petty doesn't hog all the crabbit.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 am

Sinister71 wrote: Until Bree is completely dead I will be keeping it cleaned up and posting new info on it. Not to mention posting here just so Petty doesn't hog all the crabbit.
Thanks for that Sin. On both counts! Thumbs Up 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 am

yes thanks Sin Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Not to mention posting here just so Petty doesn't hog all the crabbit.- Sin

Thats the thing about crabbit, theres always more stuff to provoke it. Mad  More than enough to go around.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Yeah Thanks Sin.Wave cheers Thumbs Up 

I find the easiest way to provoke crabbit is to read your posts Petty, it saves me the bother of subjecting myself to Jackson' arse killing/brain befuddling rewrites.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Laughing its a classic
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:19 pm

That scene is actually the only thing by Monty Python I have seen, though I plan on rectifying that soon.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:19 pm

All of Life of Brian (the movie that scene comes from) is gold. Very Happy Holy Grail is also really funny.  I've only seen bits and pieces of their other work.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm

You've never seen the Dead Parrot Sketch Shocked 

I thought everyone in the universe had seen it! Easy to sort for you though Malick-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 pm

malickfan wrote:That scene is actually the only thing by Monty Python I have seen, though I plan on rectifying that soon.

Shocked 

Shocked 

*Shocked *

you really got to rectify that Nod I remember the first time I watched Life of Brian I laughed so hard I got cramp in my tummy. No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 pm

I always think of this when I think about how Life of Brian was recieved on release.

It's a parody of a famous television debate between John Cleese Michael Palin and two christians who felt the whole film was a terible indicment on the life of Christ.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Weirdly enough Life of Brian is one of the more accurate portrayals of everyday life back then, and the various factions that existed than most proper Biblical films are.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You've never seen the Dead Parrot Sketch Shocked 

I thought everyone in the universe had seen it! Easy to sort for you though Malick-

My thoughts in approximate order:

Very Happy Smile Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Laughing Question confused cheers scratch lol! Nod Shrugging Thumbs Up

Luckily my friend with the mahoosive Doctor Who collection is also a big Monty Python fan...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Come to think of it I think Fjordlandia was one of two places in the world to ban it.

Shows you how forward we were 30 years ago.

You're probably right there, Petty. Partcularily as far as in the formation of early religion with all we know about about the First Council of Nicaea and so on.

I think this is one of my my favourite parts of the movie. (Spike Milligan appearing at the end.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 pm

I always love how Milligan just fills the screen by, well just being thee. He just has, it.

I love the representation of the politics- gets me every time-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:13 pm

That does seem to have hit a deep founded part of the human psyche just about on the spot. Laughing 

What I love about Spikes apperance is that he apparently just happened to be in Tunis on holiday with his family. So the Pythons had wanted him to apear a good bit more, but after those about 12 seconds he felt the need to continue on with his holidays and just buggered off. So one should enjoy it.. In all it's glorious shortness.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next