Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

+16
Tinuviel
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
leelee
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
chris63
Mrs Figg
Ringdrotten
Amarië
RA
Sinister71
malickfan
20 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book... - Page 5 Empty Re: Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Mrs Figg I could give you twenty pages on the depth and symbolism of Prometheus too, still wouldn't make me think it was a great film.
Same goes for Blade Runner for me.

"but don't really touch the human condition the way Spartacus did."- Halfwise

I'd agree with that.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book... - Page 5 Empty Re: Let's look on the bright side...the further they move away from the book...

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:20 pm

The difference is that only you think Bladerunner wasnt revolutionary and innovative, most people know Prometheus was rubbish.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Interesting way to shovel two pages into an edit, Figgy. Razz 

Blade Runner could become revolutionary partly because it was put on hold because of the writer's strike, so the set people just kept developing and created the modern sense of a gritty set.

As far as addressing the Human Condition goes, cinematically it was ahead of it's time. Sure, you could read the same stuff in science fiction going back to the 30's, but in cinema the philosophical points had always been addressed in a clean and obvious way (Metropolis, Forbidden Planet), not woven into the back fabric of a film. It was very much using Tolkien's method of not shoving allegory in your face, but hiding messages in the structure.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Blade Runner is a classic.

Promtheus is a Shrugging 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I donk thnk there was green screen? when Blade Runner was made, so it makes me realize just how far ahead of its time the special effects were. For a film like Avatar green screen is more than fair enough, but for TH it kills the atmosphere, theres nothing like a real set, no amount of computer wizardry can completely take its place. I loved the artistry of the sets in the film Legend, a computer couldnt do that.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 pm

True, that's why I prefer hand drawn animation to CGI-Pixar is great, but it's so focussed on making a convincing world that it's obvious they are trying-I got to the cinema for escapism but I want realism at the same time.

AUJ and Prometheus failed at this-it was obvious they were making an illusion but it wasn't fun spotting it.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:11 pm

There an art sadly becoming lost of in camera effects- I recently rewatched Forbidden Planet and its still got some stunning visuals and its more than 50 years old-

Miniatures, matte paintings, fored persepctives, all sorts of tricks at play.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Miniatures, matte paintings, fored persepctives, all sorts of tricks at play.
LOTR used all of those and more practical effects. Which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Forbidden Planet has a wonderful atmosphere, magical and faerie, bit like The Tempest, from which it was inspired by.
Talking of faerie I watched a lovely old film called The Singing Ringing Tree the other day. I had to put away my cynicism because it was a bit corny and it would be easy to laugh at, but I remembered it from being a child, and the longer I watched the more my childhood innocence came back, I forgot to be cynical and just enjoyed it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Which is one of the reasons I like it so much. -Eldo

And one of the reasons it feels much more believable than TH.
But its still not enough to save it from that script. Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 pm

I agree that effects don't trump scripts, but I don't feel the need to re-start the script debate again at just this minute. Moon
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 am

What debate?- their writing sucks, the script sucked- end of debate Shrugging 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:There an art sadly becoming lost of in camera effects- I recently rewatched Forbidden Planet and its still got some stunning visuals and its more than 50 years old-

Miniatures, matte paintings, fored persepctives, all sorts of tricks at play.

I forgot how good the effects were. I also forgot the wooden script and acting. Mad  I think the concept and visuals were so stunning that people were willing to forgive the other faults.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm

The concept is good, a mix of classic ST (before there was such a thing) and Shakespeares the Tempest.
I find it hard to imagine a modern scifi blockbuster with a central premise being a monster conjured up by the Id.

Yeah the scripts a bit wooden, and so is some of the acting, and to a modern viewer there are  the odd dubious moment concerning the young daughter and members of the space ship crew. Especially as parts of the film and dialogue strongly imply she is only just supposed to have 'become a women'- the sexual interest shown in her is a bit, off, by modern standards (but then the same could be said of the Tempest where I think she is 14)

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:11 pm

I like the way they made Prospero/Caliban one person.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Its full of good ideas, just need a bit more polish on some of the script which undermines the visual splendour by being a bit b-movie like.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

I think the problem with using the best/newest technology is that it always seems to date all that much faster.

So while all the latest technology of the Hobbit will probably looked incredibly dated in not too long the more laborious and low tech model work and so on of the Lord of the Rings will probably stand up a whole lot better to scrutiny.

That's the dimension Peter Jackson is overlooking with all this new technology, the hfr and abundance of green screen and cgi.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm

I agree- Doctor Who is a good case in point- the worst effects the show ever had were in the 1980's when they used a lot of 'cutting edge' BBC micro graphics that these days a mobile phone would be able to do in the background whilst it does ten more important tasks- and it looks like it now- where as some of the model work, and some of the mattes and miniatures in the earlier series look much better.
Tech always dates a film.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: to a modern viewer there are  the odd dubious moment concerning the young daughter and members of the space ship crew. Especially as parts of the film and dialogue strongly imply she is only just supposed to have 'become a women'- the sexual interest shown in her is a bit, off, by modern standards (but then the same could be said of the Tempest where I think she is 14)

Oh the modern interest is still there, we just have a new modern little man inside our heads bitch-slapping our cranium and shouting "stop thinking about it you perv!"

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I think the problem with using the best/newest technology is that it always seems to date all that much faster.

So while all the latest technology of the Hobbit will probably looked incredibly dated in not too long the more laborious and low tech model work and so on of the Lord of the Rings will probably stand up a whole lot better to scrutiny.

That's the dimension Peter Jackson is overlooking with all this new technology, the hfr and abundance of green screen and cgi.  
I think this is spot-on.  PJ has made some reasonable points about the limitation of model work, but he has (at least in interviews) brushed over the shortcomings of CGI effects.  Plus, while CGI offers more freedom, the last thing some directors need is the ability to put literally anything they want on screen.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:11 pm

He was a dwaef? Put him in an Elvish costume and he would look perfect.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 pm

I think Bree is dead. I cant access the website. Shocked not that I wanted to post there, because I had decided to not go back and post while 'You Know Who' was about. Either that or he has banned me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 pm

I've just had a look Figgs and yes It seems the Bree forum is down again some guff about DB error cannot select (I don't think it's my browser).Sad Shrugging 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:16 am

I can't seem to access it either, though I haven't posted anything there since the last flame war. It's a shame what the place has become; it's how I first discovered this little community like two years ago before finally posting anything.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 am

Guys, Bree has been down due to technical problems a number of times before, including just a couple of months ago. In all likelihood it will be back online within a week.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next