Sinister71
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Norc
29 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 37 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:12 pm

many are both. Often you'll find more pure Tolkien discussion over at Bree simply because they don't have the repertoire we've developed. (and where was cheese discussed, btw? scratch )

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 37 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Glad to see Bree is back! cheers I had my fingers crossed that it was just an error that could be resolved quickly.

malickfan wrote:Hmm. The discussions about Cheese, Doctor Who, and the nice font used here are defintely factors in me staying.

Can I be a breelander and  Forumshirer?
Absolutely; there's a whole bunch of people who visit both forums regularly. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

malickfan wrote:On the subject of Harry Potter is anyone else aware of the Ninth film apparently currently in production?-Seriously! apparently some guy is working on a feature length behind the scenes documentary about the series exploring until stories from the crew, and abandoned or alternate scripts and scenes from the films:
I had not heard about that, it sounds really interesting though. Smile Is he taking the material from the various home video bonus features released over the years? I'm sure with the Wizard's Collection out now there's a ton of stuff that could be edited into a feature-length documentary. I'd totally buy the super 31 disc box set but it's still over $300 so ... nah, son. Razz

If you add all the released deleted scenes and the ones cited above it's pretty obvious Warner Bros has more than enough footage for extended versions of the films (I know for a fact Order of the Phoneix's rough cut was a whole hour longer)
Order of the Phoenix was one of my least favorite movies in the series, largely because it was rushed (GOF suffered from rushing too but I liked it more). I never understood why they made the longest book in the series into the shortest film (second shorted if you count DH2, but that's only based on half a book). I would love to see the rough cut of OOTP one day. Actually, any extended edition would be nice. They did release very slightly extended cuts of the first two films on the Ultimate Editions (even less material than the AUJ-EE though Laughing) but I haven't seen those. They didn't release different cuts for any of the subsequent Ultimate Editions, unfortunately.

I also posted this over at the barrowdowns forum-contains more links to HP deleted scenes (they may be duplicate links I haven't checked) AND...UNRELEASED deleted scenes for the LOTR Trilogy!
I had heard of most of those LOTR scenes, but I hadn't seen such long clips of some of them. Thanks for the link! Very Happy Although I would point out that the scenes of orcs in the Shire were never intended to be part of a Scouring of the Shire sequence, as that chapter was never even scripted, but just to show what would happen to the Shire if Sauron won.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:54 pm

malickfan wrote:And sorry Figg's but I'll take Yates dark style and cinematography over Columbus's copy and paste bland direction, the first two films look a bit dated if you ask me, and wern't so much films as copy and pasting the book in the least dramtic and cost effective way they could, the terrilbe acting from the kids and the cheap shot on video look of the thing didn't help.

Love John William's score though, and they are fun flicks, but in my eyes the worse films of the series.
yes dark being the operative word! DH2 was so murky and black I could hardly see anything, it was like wading through treacle, and in 3d it was even worse!  I think the first 2 got the magical atmosphere perfectly, but its just personal taste I guess. Very Happy

((((I still hate Yates Mad )))))
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

There is a thread for 'Harry Potter and the Stories You've Read Bits of Before In Your Childhood In Better Written Books But Can't Quite Place.' you know! Evil or Very Mad 

{{{Where's Odo when I actually need him to complain about the state of threads around here}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

ooooh look! its the Thread Police Rolling Eyes 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:yes dark being the operative word! DH2 was so murky and black I could hardly see anything, it was like wading through treacle, and in 3d it was even worse!  I think the first 2 got the magical atmosphere perfectly, but its just personal taste I guess. Very Happy
HBP was the worst with lighting, for me. The first time I saw it in a theatre I could barely tell what was going on in some scenes because all the shadows and blacks and greys blurred together. I sometimes think the first two films look a little too bright and clean and artificial, but at least I can see what's going on in them. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:  ooooh look! its the Thread Police Rolling Eyes 
The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 37 839_Tamar_Scared_GIF

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Hey show some respect, I am a mod you know!! Twisted Evil 
'See, I have a badge, it has my name on it in case I forget, which happens' drunken 

Moon 

Sorry, wrong badge.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:38 pm

You complain about Harry Potter even in the HP thread though. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Well of course I do, I'm a crabbit bastard. Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 pm

What's Harry Potter? scratch 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 37 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
CC12 35 wrote:my fave hp film is the 1 where Harry gets in trouble
That happened in the films?  lol! 

what lol ? harry gets in trouble all the time in that films

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

well it does seem Bree is back up. I still am however working on a new site that leans more towards Tolkien and less towards Jackson's work. That said I plan on it supporting the films only for the sake of discussion, but the site over all, when its done will be a more Tolkien friendly place. I'm taking it slow and actually trying to make some connections in the Tolkien community, and get this thing off the ground right. I'm not setting out to make it the exact opposite of TORn but if that happens than so be it.

I agree with Malick that Yates is pretty good but the last 2 films were very dark. BUT I think that was a conscious decision starting out the series more bright and not necessarily cheerful, but lighter tone. Then ending the final film very dark and overcast. Almost as if the color grading of the films reflects the tone of the material. As Harry got older and Voldemorte got stronger the world of HP became a much darker place. I do feel they could have brightened up some of the scenes. And at least made them look a bit more real worldly, rather than so dark making some scenes hard to see.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 am

I might try watching AUJ when it comes on the telly.

Recently got a new TV and it makes everything look like the 48FPS made AUJ look at the cinema. Not sure if I am getting used to it now.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Lancebloke wrote:I might try watching AUJ when it comes on the telly.

Recently got a new TV and it makes everything look like the 48FPS made AUJ look at the cinema. Not sure if I am getting used to it now.
Honestly Lance I drove 2 hours to see the 48FPS just to see what all the supposed buzz PJ was spouting about was like and personally I hated it. It took me almost half the film to overlook it. and then I wasn't as impressed with the quality of it as I was LOTR. That might have been from the IMO poor storytelling that Jackson was doing and the over use of CGI though.

I to recently got a new TV I love it, you can do internet and everything on the new ones. Wink 
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:27 pm

First off, let me say that it has just recently occurred to me that The Hobbit: DOS is essentially saying the hobbit "dos" being the Spanish word for "two."
Also, there's a very anti-film article on the hobbit movie website. I was surprised!
http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 37 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Wow, that was pretty out of character for them (although still not very well written). Shocked

Speaking of out of character moments for the new Bree admins, I actually got a response to the Facebook message I sent them about the site being down. Took them about four days, but they actually responded. I think my going out of my way to be polite probably helped. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Recently got a new TV and it makes everything look like the 48FPS made AUJ look at the cinema. Not sure if I am getting used to it now.
You might have a TV that adds interpolated frames (digitally blending the original frames of the video) to create an artificial 48 fps effect. This is generally agreed to look like ass and is especially disliked by advocates of shooting movies in 48 fps. If you check the owner's guide to your TV you might be able to find a way to turn off this feature and make the image look normal.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:Wow, that was pretty out of character for them (although still not very well written). Shocked

Speaking of out of character moments for the new Bree admins, I actually got a response to the Facebook message I sent them about the site being down.  Took them about four days, but they actually responded.  I think my going out of my way to be polite probably helped. Smile
Must be nice I have sent several messages to them being polite in the first dozen and never got any response. Maybe my reputation precedes me and they just don't like me, who knows? Just curious though what they had to say Eldo if you care to share, sinister.hobbit@gmail.com if you want.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Sent you a PM. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:34 pm

cool thanks Eldo

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:33 pm

I know my telly has quite a high refresh rate itself which will make a difference. And yes, I assumed the same as you there Eldo, I just havent got round to doing anything about it.

I am beginning to get used to it though. I may have a look through the display options at some point to see what it is trying to do. Up scaling isnt all bad you know... just sometimes gets the made up bits wrong!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next