Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
halfwise
David H
CC12 35
20 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [3] - Page 8 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [3]

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Large scale farming in particular has always been high tech. People don't understand that: they see plants outside and immediately think low tech.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [3] - Page 8 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [3]

Post by David H Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:do you use lunar calendars Dave? all the old folk go by the phases of the moon here when they plant things.

One thing I've learned over the years is that it's never a good idea to discount the wisdom of old folks. Bad things happen! pale

Cranberries can live for hundreds of years, so we don't have to worry about planting times, but I always keep an eye on the phase of the moon, along with weather charts, soil moisture, soil temperature and degree-days. The moon means different things to me at different times of the year. Right now the buds for this year's new growth are just starting to swell so for the next 2 months they're going to be increasingly vulnerable to frost damage. The old-timers will tell you that the hardest killing frosts always come during the period of the the full moon, and my experience seems to bear this out. When we see a stretch of clear cold weather near a full moon we take special precautions.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm trying to puzzle out some tidal reason for this, but not clear. Can't be the ocean tides, perhaps atmospheric tides, which makes sense though I've never heard such a thing even mentioned before. Full moon = larger tides, I would think at the lowest atmospheric tide there'd be a thinner water vapor layer so more cooling...but I would think this would be something meteorologists would be aware of. scratch

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Don't rule out ocean tides so quickly. We're only half a mile from a broad flat beach with large tidal bays to the north and south. All the warm and cold fresh water and salt water mixing and mingling according the tidal clock makes for a complex microclimate.
Also, a killing frost has as much or more to do with relative humidity as with actual temperature, due to chilling from evapotranspiration. And it seems reasonable that relative humidity could be influenced by the motion of water bodies, doesn't it? And these are the most extreme during the full moon.

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm

also sap is liquid. the old guy that prunes my olive trees only does it when the moon is in a certain phase, because he says it can damage the trees to cut when the sap is rising or something like that. It makes sense, as the effect of the moon on tides is big so all bodies of water like forests contain within them must be effected I suppose. plants are sensitive to light and other senses we cant comprehend.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 pm

I was only recently discussing the Moon and historical views on how it affects moods - and mental health generally. A hint of old beliefs can be found in the word lunatick, I believe. I'd love to see a study of the phases of the Moon on mood.

As to farming organically and cost effectively, Dave, I reckon aquaponics is the go. Now I figure cranberry farming is just about aquaculture anyhow, but you need to move to polycultural practices to minimize pesticide use - let Gaia look after your financial wellbeing. Yes, this will probably mean you'll go out of business and - probably - starve (considering the American attitude to starving people being allowed to starve without governmental interference Very Happy ), but think of the Great Moral Victory you would have! You'd become a Green martyr. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am

you are made of a thousand moons and moonlets
you are a glowing tree in the garden of heaven

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 am

That's so true. Kooky - just soooo true... Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 am

Orwell wrote:Yes, this will probably mean you'll go out of business and - probably - starve, but think of the Great Moral Victory you would have! You'd become a Green martyr. Very Happy

Thank you, Orwell! I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that I have your support.

The only issue I'm having now is the shrines. I really don't see the point of becoming a martyr without some nice shrines, do you? Nothing too fancy. I think simple, sincere and humble would suit me best.

I had an artist do some concept drawings, but so far I'm not seeing anything that works for me, so I think I may have to postpone the martyrdom another year. No point in doing this if you're not going to do it right....

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 am

As long as it's a Shrine we can reuse as something else as well - perhaps on Thursdays and Mondays - then I guess a Shrine would be appropriate, Davey, for you know as well as I do memories are transitory, probably the equivilent of annuals, but natural cycles are forever, or at least, like cranberries, perennial. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

One???? No
I'm thinking with modern marketing this could be a global franchise. Nod
What the world needs even more than McDonalds or Starbucks is a good Eco-cult :carrot:

By the way Orwell, have I ever mentioned that I think you'd make an excellent high priest in a cult of Green Agriculture.
This is your golden opportunity to be a part of something REALLY BIG , and I can let you in on the ground floor! Very Happy
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Mmm... certainly worth considering. Let me see.... you get martyred, I step in to look after the franchise -- a Green franchise, of course, and therefore ethical --- and so much money potentially coming in with proper altruistic marketing methods and strategems....

Mmm, let me see: I put the money into a great Green infrastructure, enlist young ladies to serve my ... err... Green requirements.. and drive an eco friendly Mercedes or Porsche - and definitely not one of those cheap secondhand carbon dioxde pumping jalopies Greenies usually drive!

Davey, theoretically, I like your idea -- shame you have to die though .. no, no, I really mean that! - but one must keep ones eye on the Bigger Green Picture, what?

Will it require a lot of effort on my part? I mean, I am by nature lazy in the true Greenie tradition: not intellectually lazy, mind, as I'm happy to protest and argue about environmental theory and Police States, and smoke pipeweed, it's just the actual "showing how to do things better" part, which can get your hands dirty (I've heard) and take you away from ones air-conditioned office job - possibly in the Public Service - or in a Library - and let's not forget Uni students who are wise in all things (they tell me).

And can I have a cadre of Temple Priestesses to run the public rituals? Never fear, I'm happy of course to perform the Holy of Holy (Private) Rituals with them. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 pm

fold me flowers from the pages of an austen paperback

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes, yes, Davey - and we mustn't forget Greenies like Kooky, who obviously believe in reusing resources... though personally, I'd preserve anything by Jane in it's original form for the delight of future readers... Does that or doesn't that make me your, "Let's destroy the library at Alexandra to make room for another windmill," type. scratch Maybe I'm both a Modernist and a Traditionalist, and a possibly a perfect example of life's contradictions. Very Happy

Last edited by Orwell on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 pm

maybe that's really what library science should be about, learning how to cure people through literature

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 pm

I actually don't know if you're being serious or not, my love. Shrugging But you certainly satisfied to poet in me just now. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm

serious ? wine-stained blue lips and cold hands on hips serious

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38 pm

Wow, the poetry keeps flowing.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 pm

not really

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 am

My goodness me, Halfy, you've brought Kooky unstuck! Very Happy Yes, for only two words, but unstuck, yep. cheers

{{{Halfy did it! Shocked Now, where did I put my pills? scratch }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 am

i am alone

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:24 am

Get used to it, babe. One day you'll be a lonely 54 year old man pining for those days when you were a young girl full vim and vigour, dreaming your dreams and thinking you might very well change the world, if only you could free yourself from roller skating and other fun stuff. Indeed, skating gaily about with your whole exciting life ahead of you... and then - rather suddenly - you're a 54 year old man with hair growing where it oughtent and you ask yourself (possibly in the loneliness of your bower), "What 'appened?" Sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 am

You know, I'd been thinking I needed to be the eco-martyr because.....well, frankly I didn't think you could handle it. But after your last post I can see I was wrong. You're a natural martyr! cheers Better than me by far!

So I'll tell you what, let's trade places. You can give your life for The Cause. I'll be your high priest and take care of the priestesses in your name. Very Happy

Then not only will all your problems will be over, but hundreds if not thousands of adoring fans, many of them attractive young ladies, will be holding candle light vigils and singing laments in your honor.

What do you say? Hard to resist isn't it? Nod I want you to know I wouldn't offer a deal like this to just anybody! Very Happy

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't know... Suspect I don't know why, but I have misgivings, if you know what I mean, Davey - and I have a feeling you do know what I mean, somehow or other.... mmm... Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:42 am

The wars off

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [3] - Page 8 Tumblr_mjw5hjA15j1qdlh1io1_250

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next