Kafria
Ringdrotten
26 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Harry Potter - Page 28 Empty Re: Harry Potter

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:49 pm

malickfan wrote:That is a really nice looking set. Smile

Yeah, I like it a lot. Nod The covers of the individual books are also pretty great.

Harry Potter - Page 28 APtSf2Q
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Eldorion wrote: The wording in that announcement ("see how they can find out more" or whatever) makes it sound more like a glorified ad than anything else, though.

Which if true is a disappointment, I didn't bother joining Pottermore (like most people) because someone posted most of the new info online anyway.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Beautiful box set all the same, I would've liked to have one of those in by book shelf for the looks alone Very Happy

I found that article as well, malick, really liked the illustration of Hogwarts. I'm probably buying the whole set when/if it is released. My copies are also in rather poor shape these days, so I wouldn't mind a new set. Will keep an eye on this, thanks for sharing Smile

Harry Potter - Page 28 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:That is a really nice looking set. Smile

Yeah, I like it a lot. Nod The covers of the individual books are also pretty great.

Harry Potter - Page 28 APtSf2Q

Whilst those covers are indeed great, they do seem to be more or less based on dramatic shots in the movies/the bits everyone remembers, not knocking the artist as it is obviously working as a selling point, but I hope in the new illustrated edition they illustrate things we haven't seen before.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 pm

I often wonder if someone gave me a magic ticket to either Middle Earth or the Hogwarts Express which would I choose.

Still dont know, cos I loved HP a lot Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Pretty sure HP-verse has a lot lower rate of cholera.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:Pretty sure HP-verse has a lot lower rate of cholera.

Judging by some of the trains you see in the UK, that might not be an entirely accurate statement.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Middle-Earth is not known for its diseases!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Yep, disease, excretion and sex are all curiously absent.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Lots of fan artwork to look through

http://hpcompanion.com/artists/

I'm not entirely convinced any of the styles displayed here will be similar to the upcoming illustrated editions, but it is interesting to note most of the fan art (that I've seen at least) illustrates key scenes from the book, instead of providing a backdrop or illustrating 'off camera' events and general 'life at hogwarts', given alot of the series impact depends on a readers imagaination I wonder which approach they'll take?

The Lee/Nasmith Tolkien editions were generally quite literal when it came to illustrating, as Potter is such a fantastical book, I'd quite like to see some new things illustrated that we may not expect to be...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:47 am

Harry Potter - Page 28 14%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 am

Rude!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen the HP Companion before (possibly from a link posted here in the past?), but I've been browsing through it a bit for the past couple days and I really like the comments and observations at the end of each chapter analysis. The essays are also really good. There are several points on which I'm pretty sure this guy has put more thought into the HP world than JK Rowling actually did (when it comes to trying to iron out inconsistencies), but it's really thought-provoking. I had long since given up trying to make sense of HP as a coherent secondary world due to the various implausibilities built into the setting, but this guy has done such an admirable effort that I need to re-examine some things for myself. Although he has reinforced my opinion that JKR should stop talking so much about the setting in interviews and let fans construct theories based on the actual text.

Some of the stuff that I've liked most so far.

Why Hermione can't have been the only student to have received a time-turner, and whether she might have ever met any of the others who did.
Whether Lucius Malfoy really intended to give Tom Riddle's diary to Ginny, and also how Dobby was able to help Harry without anyone noticing.
Why Hermione probably didn't have the best Christmas her first year. Sad

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 pm

I've kind of had the impression of looking to closely at the world of the Harry Potter books might not necesarily be a good idea because of the implausibilities you pointed out. If you know it's imperfect, thinking to hard about it perhaps not being the best thing to do. That someone has gone to the lenght of looking into it like this is interesting though. Gives you some new perspectives. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Regarding the time-turner. The article kind of got me thinking. Might not Dumbledore have organized to have Hermione lent a time-turner have been a one off thing. As Dumbledore might have forseen the trouble to come later in the year, clervoyance being a thing in the Harry Potter universe, or simply thought having a time turner in close proximity to Harry might have been a good idea? So, while other students handled colliding subjects with reorganising their study plan and so on, they as a one time thing gave Hermione a time-turner. That might also tell us why only her being given one makes little sense in regards to the wider story. As the fact that she had some colliding subjects always sounded a bit of a flimsy excuse to be the only one to be given one. If it was only an excuse, perhaps that's the reason it doesn't make sense. Just a thought.  Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Harry Potter - Page 28 Tumblr_n9r6bv4Cb91skla5oo1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Laughing

Though I'm not sure it works like that. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Thought this might be of interest:

https://chasingtheturtle.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/harry-potter-covers-from-around-the-world-which-one-is-your-favorite/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri May 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Always loved this quote.

❝ Gary Oldman (Sirius Black) actually came around the next morning, because we lived near each other at the time, and he said, ‘Have you seen the new book? We’ve got a lot of work to do, mate.’ He was quite happy, and I didn’t know how to break it to him. So I said, ‘Have you actually read it yet, Gaz?’ ‘No, just clicked through it.’ A few days later I’m in makeup and he comes in, and sits down, and goes ‘Have you heard the news?’ ‘What’s that, Gaz?’ ‘It’s terrible fucking news.’ ‘What is it?’ ‘You know how everyone is talking about who dies in book five? It’s fucking me! This woman puts the poor bastard in prison for 12 years, brings him back for a few scenes, and then she kills him!’ ❞
— David Thewlis (Remus Lupin)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Ugh, those "UK Adult" covers are hideously mundane. The whole idea of "adult covers" is quite ridiculous to me. As if the type of adult that would read Harry Potter needs a "grown-up" version with a boring and bleak cover on it. Stupid marketeers.

That is a good quote. I like how excited-sounding Oldman was for the upcoming filming. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 pm

‘You know how everyone is talking about who dies in book five? It’s fucking me! This woman puts the poor bastard in prison for 12 years, brings him back for a few scenes, and then she kills him!’

There's just so much disbelief and badly hidden outrage in that quote, I can't help but love him a little. Razz

Because.. that's how we all felt.. right?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue May 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

Because.. that's how we all felt.. right?

Yeah Sad (Though I remember being kinda weirded out by the whole Veil thing)

Oldman was perfect casting, though in the book he's only 35ish when he dies...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Oldman was pretty great, yeah. Nod

The veil was like an execution thing, right? They had a court, so the veil was a place for public executions? scratch Perhaps I was just infering..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Oldman was pretty great, yeah. Nod

The veil was like an execution thing, right? They had a court, so the veil was a place for public executions? scratch Perhaps I was just infering..

Wasn't the courtroom in a different department? The veil seems to be a portal between 'the world of the living and dead':

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Veil

Rowling can be both heavy handed and extremely vague with her symbolism (there's also a room of 'pure love' in the department of mysteries)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next