Mrs Figg
Orwell
Eldorion
Lorient Avandi
Pettytyrant101
24 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Religous debates and questions - Page 30 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:25 pm

I crave chocolate ice cream. Had this problem since childhood. If I couldn't get it legally I shouldn't be punished for stealing it from little boys....

Shocking rationalization for covering up psychological trauma to youngsters.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Religous debates and questions - Page 30 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions

Post by CC12 35 Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

weasel words as usual from the catholic church, ensures abusive priests are not held accountable for their behaviour

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Wait a minute.....you said something and I understood it! Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 pm

what?! this shuld be screencapped.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:09 pm

weird
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:11 pm

1 time Sofia and rigby and I went all the way to the top of lone tree with rikki and beermanvince and we were so scared the whole way there

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:28 pm

At the moment Im watching a programne on channel more4 called "sex in a cold climate". Its about how young Irish women were cruelly treated by none other than the hypocritical catholic church in the 1940/50s, Its sad to see these women crying over losing their babies, & how they were treated like the scum of the earth ! When you see how cute the babies were,often way under a yr old, given away to couples to adopt, & as I have 4 kids, it touches you ! & it wasnt just losing the babies either, its all the other shit that was inflicted on the women ! Not being Irish or a catholic, I wonder how much is as true today as it was 60 yrs ago ?

Religous debates and questions - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Religous debates and questions - Page 30 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 pm

I think its not so much religion itself as the way it has been used to control female fertility that makes me angry, all religions and traditions and social norms are used to do this, but its all based on questions of heredity and money. Hundreds of years ago men wanted to be sure their heirs were genetically theirs and not Fred's or Tom's or Harry's, they started thinking up ways of keeping women in line, first they tried burning us at the stake, and then they used more subtle methods like calling us hoors if we acted like men, and religion, law, politics , education and social constructs did the rest. its nothing to do with religion its all about control over birthright and property.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 am

I'm not so sure about that Mrs Figg.
If you go back far enough in many cultures you find women in dominant roles- High Priestess, female Goddess being far more important than their male consorts, tribes and even empires being run by a woman.

That switch around, from earlier female led societies and later male dominant ones than began emerging from about 1000bc onwards has always fascinated me, and never as far as I am aware been adequetly explained.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 am

Catherine The great ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:43 am

Yes but later examples are more of women ruling a male society- go a lot further back you find female societies, with strong female symbolism in everyday life.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am

ok, but im tempted to find out sometime ? I know your probably right but Im like a dog with a bone sometimes ! Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 am

Ill try to find some interesting links on the subject.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am

in all major ancient civilisations men > women

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Ill try to find some interesting links on the subject.

halfwise wrote:I hope so, I've heard about the great switcheroo but was never sure if it was mainly feminist propaganda or not.

I should say new age/feminist propaganda, as most references to the "earth mother" seem to be new age.

Edit: That was an edit? I thought I was quoting. Whatever.

Last edited by halfwise on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Petty I am talking about from the Middle Ages not pre-history, you cant dispute my points because they are fact. Women were basically sold off by fathers and male members of the family to increase the wealth power and land of the family. fact. maybe in very ancient female goddess times before Christianity there were female led societies but for at least the last thousand years in the UK its been male dominated.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

It does kinda feel that way,Mrs Figg. Maggie Thatcher was a rock of stone but the male counter parts would have just loved to see her fall,no matter what the sucker-uppers say. We DO have a Queen, but what power does she actually wield ? Kings were more a frightning force in the old days, Queens might have been cunning,devious,back stabbing,poisoning & maniplative but I didnt find them frightning in a powerful, "Im gonna hack your head off" kinda way. QE 1st was tough but still had men dictating to her, QV was strong enough to carry on after Prince Albert popped off, Im trying to think who else ? apart from the obvious one..Boudicia ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Petty was referring to 1000 BC, not BP. 3000 years ago.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Indeed I dont dispute at all Mrs Figg that male led societies have dominated- at that predates Christianity- which itself comes out of a mix of already exisiting patriarchal male led religions like Judiasm- its what came before them that is interesting in terms of female led society.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Against my better judgement I'm going to weigh in on this. I come from a family with a long history of women as head of the household, as teachers and medical professionals, going to college etc. going back at least to the 1840's.

One of the things that made my mother furious about the dogma of 1970's feminism was how it painted women of the past as continual victims. She's much more approving of the modern trend of honoring the history of accomplishments of women in history.

It seems clear to me that throughout history the institution of marriage has been used for power by both sexes. You can argue about their historical accuracy if you like, but Shakespeare's plays are filled with examples of strong-willed powerful women. So are the Icelandic sagas of 500 years earlier. That's what makes them ring true.

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

I have to agree with you David, Ive never liked the idea of women as victims, (unless its domestic violence !) Women are stronger than you would believe, & thats certainly true of so called aristocracy. Even on a lesser social standing,women have worked their way to where they wanna be, what women lack with brute strength we make up for mentally ! & MAYBE with more determination ? Shakespeare's "Taming of the shrew" is a great portrayal of women, Frigg,Odins wife was stated to be a match for Odin if she wanted, & could out wit him if she was determined, ok, I know she was a mythical figure, but, mythical figures are often an embelishment of human traits. Ive also noticed that with Norse Saga's that the women are given roles of either beauty/plentyful/fertility. But, then you get the other extreme where women were handed the duty of revenge/spite/diguise/death. Both equally powerful positions.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 pm

but. But! Shiny things

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Laughing Shiny things on shoes is the killer combination.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm

CC12 35 wrote:but. But! Shiny things

That was cute. Laughing

And if I can figure out why women like shoes so much the doors to the universe will lay helplessly open before me, ready for plunder. (especially silly shoes)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 pm

CC12 35 wrote:but. But! Shiny things

Once again I'm fascinated by the deft, precise use of willfully nonstandard punctuation. Reminiscent of e.e. cummings. I am NOT poking fun, I'm seriously impressed.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next