Lorient Avandi
Orwell
Eldorion
Ally
Pettytyrant101
25 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

FREEDOM!!!! - Page 14 Empty Re: FREEDOM!!!!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:38 pm

the whole business about being buried in an expensive coffin is a crock. - Halfwise

Sometimes that is quite true- there was a crematorioum in Scotland a few years ago where it was discovered once the coffin disappeared behind the curtain the body was taken out, some bit of old wood added and burnt with the body- the coffin was given a polish and went back on sale. I doubt very much they are the first lot to think of this.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Damn clever and I think they are doing society and the planet a favor. The only thing is they should charge one fee for 'rental', and the full fee for 'purchase', then do the same thing for both with the excuse that any arrogant twit that purchases a full expensive coffin for cremation deserves to be hoodwinked.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Bit of an uproar at the moment over a London based newspaer, The Economist, publishing an article on Scottish Independence in which they predict nothing but doom, gloom and catastrophe- but its the front cover really got the SNP annoyed.

FREEDOM!!!! - Page 14 Article-2129426-129653CF000005DC-945_308x374

However, whilst their article does predict doom and gloom entirely it has to concede at the start that Scotland is in fact all right for finances. Rather undermining the whole thing before it gets going.

'Scotland’s accounts of revenue and expenditure, based on Treasury data, show that it is not a ward of the state, grossly subsidised from Westminster. In fact it performs better than all regions outside the south-east of England, and has done particularly well in the past decade (see chart). In 2010-11 Scotland’s GDP was £145 billion ($225 billion) including a geographical share of North Sea oil and gas, around 10% of Britain’s, with 8.4% of the population.
Historically Scotland has received bigger grants per head from central government than Wales, for example—in part a tacit acknowledgment that it contributes handsomely to oil revenues, which in 2010-11 amounted to £8.8 billion.'- The Economist.

And notable for most of the past decade it has been under an SNP administration.

Incidentally I live near 'Done In' on that map- I'd like to see them come up here and say that to our faces-we'd could show them what 'done in' really looks like. Twisted Evil

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:55 am

I've been on the Internet long enough that I'm not surprised to see you making violent threats against a goddamn magazine, Petty, but the fact that Salmond is also making threats (though not violent ones) is just pathetic. Yes, the cover is rather immature and yes, the article sounds pretty inaccurate and biased, though I haven't read it myself. Nonetheless, I'm getting an unpleasant Mohammed cartoon-esque vibe from the response to this. I'm disappointed by any government leader who can't respond to criticism in a mature way, even if the criticism itself is immature.

Just to be clear: I had no problem with Salmond's response, which by and large balanced indignation with reason pretty well, except for the part where he said The Economist would "rue the day" it printed the cover.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisey Banks Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 am

"If I should dive into a cake, or a scone of Finnish make,
I'll want some compote mild, of strawberry jam - I'll compose a smile -
If there's enough feed to please all the worms swimmin' in my tummy-grease...
But cabbages or corn that crunch in my teeth - this is a hunch -
Will surely cause me pain, when I contorting cry: "It's comin' out again!'"

Dee Mayes, the Beavers.

Wisey Banks

Chief Forumshire Channeller

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 am

Whose threatening a magazine Eldo? I'm not- I'm threatening the journalists! Twisted Evil And dont know what the internet has to do with it, we've been threatening the English for over a thousand years without it!
Its a media stushie (theres a good Scots word- means a big rumpus over nothing)- outside of the political classes noone really cares- the English have been dong and saying these sort sorts of things about Scotland longer than memory, water of a ducks back- but you have to understand the English like slagging us off and we like using it as an excuse to make threateing noises about them- its sort of an anacient dance easily mistaken for something serious by those who dont know its steps.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 pm

This seems to fit in this thread better than any other. Craig Ferguson, the best late night host ever, will be filming some shows back in his home country of Scotland.

http://news.yahoo.com/ferguson-taking-show-home-scotland-185956572.html

Why he's always been confined to the latest hours is beyond me, he's clearly funnier than Leno, Letterman, Conan.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I just realized I inspired a channeling by Wisey Banks. Great honor, that. Wish it was my poem what done it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Well that could be interesting. According to that report:

'He also returns to his hometown of Cumbernauld, with stops at his childhood home and high school.'

But only a week or so a go the papers here were running with headlines like this:
'Chat show host dubbed a 'traitor' after levelling two-minute on-air attack at Cumbernauld'

And stories like this:

The former Cumbernauld High pupil spent two minutes telling millions of viewers that Scotland’s main problem was Cumbernauld while interviewing UK journalist and writer Jon Ronson, who named Hull ahead of Cumbernauld as the country’s worst town.
Mr Ferguson said: “There’s only one problem with Scotland – Cumbernauld.
“Everything’s broken, all the windows are broken, all the doors are off their hinges.
“Listen, don’t get me wrong. I love Scotland. I think it’s the other greatest country in the world. But I have to say, there’s only one problem with Scotland – Cumbernauld.”

This rather annoyed the inhabitants and of course the local Council'
Councillor Gerry McElroy said: “He has no justification for forming an opinion like that.
“He’s a bit of a traitor going on national US TV and talking this town down.
“I don’t see any reason to be derogatory about Cumbernauld. Everything that’s been said is absolute nonsense and just not justified. When was he last in Cumbernauld?
“There is nothing in this interview that describes Cumbernauld as it is now. It is ridiculous to paint such a picture.”

Given his age he is remembering Cumbernauld in the 70's- nothing worked in Britain in the 70's anywhere!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:37 am

In the 70's you took your life in your hands walking Central Park after dark. Now they employ the police to chase the dog walkers out after 1 AM.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Ahh the 70' s in the UK- when even the dead went unburied! (And New York was only good for making films like the Warriors and The Wanderers).
Strangely enough seems to have been David Cameron's favourite decade- at least I assume that is we he seems hell bent on recreating it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

'The DNA of people living in Scotland has "extraordinary" and "unexpected" diversity, according to a new study.
The Scotland's DNA project, led by Edinburgh University's Dr Jim Wilson, has tested almost 1,000 Scots in the last four months to determine the genetic roots of people in the country.
The project discovered four new male lineages, which account for one in 10 Scottish men.
The project found that Scotland has almost 100 different groups of male ancestry from across Europe and further afield.
More than 150 different types of female DNA from Europe, Asia and Africa were discovered.
Scotland's DNA also found that more than 1% of all Scotsmen are direct descendants of the Berber and Tuareg tribesmen of the Sahara, a lineage which is around 5600 years old.
Royal Stewart DNA was confirmed in 15% of male participants with the Stewart surname. They are directly descended from the royal line of kings.'

Thats why Scots are unique Norc- we're most of the rest of the world rolled into one people- the ultimate melting pot! Proof positive of the pointless nature of racism.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh and for some reason we keep coming up with shit like this:

'Researchers at Glasgow University have developed a revolutionary new process to print drugs using 3D printing technology.
The development could lead to people having a "personal pharmacy" dispensing medicines at home.
The team say their work, which has been published in the journal Nature Chemistry, may one day be able to diagnose illnesses before they happen.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17744314

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 am

This from Wiki on an unusual genetic marker.

Geneticists have found that seven men with a rare Yorkshire surname carry a genetic signature previously found only in people of African origin. All the men had haplogroup A1, a Y chromosome genetic marker which is west African specific. Haplogroup A1 is rare and has only ever been found 25 times, again only in people of African origin. Haplogroup A1 is a subclade of Haplogroup A which geneticists believe originated in Eastern or Southern Africa. The individuals had no knowledge of any African heritage in their family. The researchers wondered if the presence of this haplogroup in Yorkshire could stem from the recruitment of Africans for the construction of Hadrian's Wall by the Romans or result from intermarriage with an African slave, some of whom rose quite high in society. According to Bryan Sykes, some English people's genetics suggest that they are "descended from north African, Middle Eastern and Roman clans", and that "although the Romans ruled from AD 43 until 410, they left a tiny genetic footprint."

Geneticists have shown that former American president Thomas Jefferson, who might have been of Welsh descent, along with two other British men out of 85 British men with the surname Jefferson, carry the rare Y chromosome marker T which is typically found in East Africa and the Middle East. Haplogroup T is rare in Europe but phylogenetic network analysis of its Y-STR (short tandem repeat) haplotype shows that it is most closely related to an Egyptian T haplotype. The presence of scattered and diverse European haplotypes within the network is nonetheless consistent with Jefferson's patrilineage belonging to an ancient and rare indigenous European type

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 am

Perhaps I could get faxed some drugs to make me happy while not harming my health, or effect my behaviour in a deleterious fashion, directly or indirectly, in regard to my own wellbeing or the health and safety of others, both mental and physical. Now that would be good, wouldn't it? Why are you such a Non-believer, Petty. I thought you'd like there to be more Progess in drug Supply... Very Happy

{{{hee hee - that'll set that cynical Scotshobbit frothing at the mouth... hee hee... Twisted Evil }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:48 am

Mrs Figg, people have been rooting people, all over the place, every Conqueror and his Horde, ever since Adam rooted Eve... Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 am

Oh blimey, we ALL have African genes in our blood, for chrissake. Don't these folks know anything about prehistoric migrations?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:55 am

Its all good as far as I am concerned, more evidence there is that makes any attempt to rationalise or gloss over racism is good enough for me. More we can mock bigots fror not knowing we are all closely related and the same species the better as far as I am concerned. Nod

And Orwell, I meant shit in a good way- I think its an ingenoius invention and your suggestion is only one of the many uses it could offer. And once they've worked out how to replace the printer mechanics with some sort of energy field they'll have invented the Replicator! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:04 am

halfwise wrote:Oh blimey, we ALL have African genes in our blood, for chrissake. Don't these folks know anything about prehistoric migrations?

At least they seem to be proud of it! That's progress, if you ask me. Smile

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I reckon Racism is only for the stupidest people in any Race. Racists are the Universal Measure of Basic Stupidity, black, white or brindle.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:12 am

Orwell wrote:I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I reckon Racism is only for the stupidest people in any Race. Racists are the Universal Measure of Basic Stupidity, black, white or brindle.

Pride on ones race is often the last resort of people who have nothing else to be proud of.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:31 am

David H wrote:
Orwell wrote:I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I reckon Racism is only for the stupidest people in any Race. Racists are the Universal Measure of Basic Stupidity, black, white or brindle.

Pride on ones race is often the last resort of people who have nothing else to be proud of.

Though these statements may be true now I don't think they were a century ago.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

I suspect it's always been true. In any classed society, the people on the bottom social rung need somebody to look down on. Race is usually the next step of prejudice when all the social prejudice has been exhausted.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 pm

David H wrote:I suspect it's always been true. In any classed society, the people on the bottom social rung need somebody to look down on. Race is usually the next step of prejudice when all the social prejudice has been exhausted.

Where and when has ever "all the social prejudice" been exhausted? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm

I concur with the question Orwell just posed

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next