chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Yep, and those silly Chinese would never catch on to a bright idea, either...

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I often wonder what the world will be like in 1000 years, or 10,000, I stand on a spot on the mountain and try to imagine what would be still there and what will have gone, if i would recognize anywhere, and maybe its only the mountain itself I would recognize, all the trees and buildings and maybe even the roads would have gone, depends what kind of transport we have then.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm

I have a hard enough trying to figure out what I'm going to do after I wake up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I stand on a spot on the mountain and try to imagine what would be still there and what will have gone- Mrs Figg

Its a weird thing. Right no where I live they are building new housing, on what was a part of the golf course, which in turn was the edge of town with nothing but trees beyond it.
Naturally lots of people around here are complaining about the view being spoiled, and them building on what was pleasant to look at golf course land.

But where I live, and all the people doing the complaining, when my Gran was a child was itself fields- the entire quarter of town I live in did not exist until the 1960's.

I cant imagine where I am being nothing but fields and scrub hillside- but it was not that long ago.

And now its expanding again, and in a generations time the people who live and grow up in the new housing will not be able to imagine when it was once a golf course.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Same as where I live. It all used to be green beautiful countryside. Now its all grey ugly buildings. The worlds population is growing & people will settle where its conducive for them. You wont see a block of flats in the Sahara or a bungalow in the Artic. ( you might see a Tesco tho ?) so the lovely land we all romance about from our youth is the best option to build on. It has all the right ingredients. Way into the future will we have to build higher & higher up or, do we build down ? Like an underground car park will we have underground housing ??

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 pm

I used to read this book frequently as a kid, not entirely sure whether we still have lying around somewhere, but it's defintely full of some pretty trippy/weird/random facts mysteries etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mysteries-Unexplained-Readers-Digest/dp/0276380037/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405718360&sr=1-1&keywords=mysteries+of+the+unexplained

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Not read that one, but read a lot similar as a kid, used to love those sort of books.
Also used to devour books of 'true' ghost stories. One about ghosts appearing in mirrors freaked me out about mirrors for years, and is why my hair now has a 'natural' look to it as I still dont hold with mirrors and reflections!  Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:27 pm

I cannot sleep with my back to a door  pale to fooking creepy. My own fault tho, watched to many horror films as a kid

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Not read that one, but read a lot similar as a kid, used to love those sort of books.
Also used to devour books of 'true' ghost stories. One about ghosts appearing in mirrors freaked me out about mirrors for years, and is why my hair now has a 'natural' look to it as I still dont hold with mirrors and reflections!  Mad 

A relative of mine is obsessed with Ghosts, must have at least 30-40 books just of supposed haunting s just on the Isle of Wight alone! And yet they insisted on taking me there every year on Holdiay, for Engalnd's premiere overpriced tourist trap it's got quite alot of creepiness to it...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I spent a night with friends in an old hotel that had been closed after being partly burnt- it used to be used every year by some religious sect (probably harmless) but over the years gossip and mischief and made it haunted and cursed- was pretty bloody freaky and spooky in the dark with just torch and candlelight, but never saw a ghost.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:05 pm

A relative of mine worked in a (former) mental hospital in the 80's and claimed to hear screaming and see the ghost of a patient walking in the grounds (she wasn't alone), about seven years ago a few of my friends broke into the grounds and claimed to see a bunch of 'orbs' floating around, they were high apparently, but all seemed very freaked out the next day at school.

The weirdest thing I've seen is somewhat more humdrum, about ten years ago I was stood in my front drive talking with a friend when something big ran past at very high speed, all I remember was it was very big and so fast we never got more the a blurry glimpse, I've often thought it was a deer of some sort, but we live in effectively a massive suburb, at least 30 minutes away from any likely location for such animals. I know I saw something, but I don't think it was a deer, and If it was I don't think I'd even remember the little I do.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm

was it Sirius Black?  pale 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:was it Sirius Black?  pale 

Well it was a weird enough occurence in itself, so finding out a fictional character was alive, running past my house in broad daylight wouldn't have been that much weirder, hell if it were Sirius Black my 11 year old self would stop him for a autograph Nod 

I was a kid with an overactive imagination anyway, so it could simply have been a hairy fat drunk out for an afternoon run, (I know from experience my local attracted that sort of crowd a few years back), but I don't think so, I saw something, I just wish I recalled more than remembering I saw it.

Shrugging 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:57 pm

azriel wrote:I cannot sleep with my back to a door  pale to fooking creepy. My own fault tho, watched to many horror films as a kid

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 32 Tumblr_n671askcdv1twigfco1_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Chris you rotter ! That freaked me out  pale I am so gonna shat myself tonight  pale

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:31 am

malickfan wrote:
The weirdest thing I've seen is somewhat more humdrum,  about ten years ago I was stood in my front drive talking with a friend when something big ran past at very high speed, all I remember was it  was very big and so fast we never got more the a blurry glimpse, I've often thought it was a deer of some sort, but we live in  effectively a massive suburb, at least 30 minutes away from any likely location for such animals. I know I saw something, but I don't think it was a deer, and If it was I don't think I'd even remember the little I do.

Actually, the deer population is larger now than when Columbus landed because of suburbs. Garbage and gardens of all sorts make happy places for deer, so long as you have some wooded vacant lots around, or parks. They are boundary creatures; just need enough woods to hide, nothing more.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 am

Very true- years ago some friends and I were having a small late night drink of buckie when out the window we heard the clip clop of hooves on the road outside. Curious as to who would be riding by on a horse at 3am we went to have a look and saw it was a family of deer in the heart of town walking casually down the road.
Turned out that in amongst all the concrete there was one plot of land in the middle of town behind some houses that had, for various reasons been derelict for decades. Not a big space, big enough to put a house with a modest garden on. But it was wild and overgrown and untended, and as it turned out full of deer. Still is.

When they lie down in the long grass though they just disappear through the day.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm

My cousin said she saw an antlered stag run down the road once, but theres no countryside near to her house, she lives in a large town, and there are no indigenous deer that live in her part of the country, maybe it was the Buckie talking.  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm

When we were kids a whole gang of us sat around in our local churchyard waiting for midnight. There was a rumour that at midnight the lights in the church would come on & the organ would play yet no one was there. We were all about 11 or 12yrs old. Anyhoo, got close to midnight & fooking heck the bloody lights did come on, so we legged it leaving behind one chunky kid who wasnt so light on his feet, poor sod. we didnt hang around to hear any organs, & chunky kid was away from school after that. we all thought he'd been "got". week later he rolls into school, on crutches, broken leg. As we ran off, he followed but slipped into an open grave & broke his leg ! well, the grave was covered with soft soil & moved & you could clearly see an open, empty coffin all splintered & fractured but, no bodkin inside.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Shocked 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:28 pm

azriel wrote:When we were kids a whole gang of us sat around in our local churchyard waiting for midnight. There was a rumour that at midnight the lights in the church would come on & the organ would play yet no one was there. We were all about 11 or 12yrs old. Anyhoo, got close to midnight & fooking heck the bloody lights did come on, so we legged it leaving behind one chunky kid who wasnt so light on his feet, poor sod. we didnt hang around to hear any organs,  & chunky kid was away from school after that. we all thought he'd been "got". week later he rolls into school, on crutches, broken leg. As we ran off, he followed but slipped into an open grave & broke his leg ! well, the grave was covered with soft soil & moved & you could clearly see an open, empty coffin all splintered & fractured but, no bodkin inside.

pale 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:25 am

Funny story. Nice one  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 am

was a bit like "the Goonies"  Very Happy 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:55 pm

You may recall this guy from the news- a UK citizen and aspergers sufferer, Gary McKinnon hacked US security systems in the hunt for UFO's.
The US caught him and tried, and very nearly succeed, in having him extradited where he would have faced 60+ years in prison, but public outcry swayed events.

But the question remains what did he find? Well according to Gary what he found were folders of pictures- with two versions of each- pictures with UFO's in them, and then the doctored images for the public with them removed.
But perhaps the most interesting thing he claims to have discovered was a list of names of 'non-terrestrial' staff which included their rank.

Here is Cameron and Obama being asked about the extradition at a press conference-

And an interview with Gary himself talking about what he claims he found-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:27 am

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/antarcticas-blood-red-waterfall-180949507/?no-ist

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next