Kafria
Eldorion
odo banks
28 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Hobbit Forum Refugees Empty Hobbit Forum Refugees

Post by odo banks Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 am

Is there a possibility this could renamed as Hobbit Forum Refugees (forum), Eldo?
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Hobbit Forum Refugees Empty Re: Hobbit Forum Refugees

Post by odo banks Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am

Now, what is everyone doing to find the other Refugees? I'll look for Wisey, Mirabella and Biffo --- but what of Tin and Noom and Chris and Hail, and everyone else --- all sadly missed! Sad
odo banks
odo banks

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:14 pm

About the forum title, it could, though I kind of like this one. What does everyone else think? Smile

odo banks wrote:Now, what is everyone doing to find the other Refugees? I'll look for Wisey, Mirabella and Biffo --- but what of Tin and Noom and Chris and Hail, and everyone else --- all sadly missed! Sad

I haven't seen any of them. Crying or Very sad I think everyone I've seen since the end of the old forum has found their way here already, but I'm keeping an eye out at PT for any others who come in.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Wondering if we could start a more obvious say hi thread on PT or ask Taz to add a bit to the info that links to the forum page from THM to get people to register and say hi so we can point them in the right direction via PM

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 pm

I was considering something similar, Kafria. It'd be nice to get the word out about the forum at least a bit, particularly to other THM people who happen upon PT. Perhaps one or more of us could ask Taz if he would let us post a link. We could offer to have a link back to them, too. I wouldn't mind if some of the PT people found us either, so long as they recognized that we have very different rules and standards of behavior. Very Happy

I don't want to do anything without the community coming to some sort of agreement first though, so please weigh in. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:14 pm

well I definately think it's worth a try, I just hope he dosen't get upset that we want our own home too! i suppose if we continue to pop in and post for a while on PT it'll seem a bit less like jumping ship entirely. They seem nice enough - it's just all the rules due to the family friendly status thats the problem.

I tried to look through the member list to see if I could find chris- no sign and Tin - there are 6! I think keeping an eye out is going to be the main thing. Just worried that they won't stay to look round and miss the fact that some of us have registered.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:23 pm

If we make a post on PT with a link to this forum, we should explain why we made our own forum after the merger (the rules being our biggest concern). Just so they know it wasn't anything personal or something (in lack of better words). I wouldn't mind it, it wouldn't hurt to have some of them come over here as well (if they can respect our rules, that is! Mad ) Wink

Hobbit Forum Refugees Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm looking for Chris too! I've googled Chris63, found a few sites that look like it's him, but he either hasn't been on for 11 months, left no email, or both. I do feel a bit guilty towards Taz though. Though I'm sure he didn't buy the website for out highly active forum! Very Happy I'd say if we hang around at PT for a while, it's actually a nice little place, I'm sure he'll let us! He seems a nice guy. Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisey Banks Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm

We weren't asked
and not notified,
We were abducted,
Our Freedom denied,

But we must now kowtow
to some degree
Yes, we need guerillas
(in heart still Refugees)

I have no kindness,
for that Planet,
It has the brutality of
err... gannets!

We'll use them to serve
OUR need,
And be polite -
if only to deceive.

Fear!
Fire!
Foes!
We all know
how it goes.

Tolkien: "The Ether of Respectability."

Wise Odo
Wisey Banks
Wisey Banks
Chief Forumshire Channeller

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 am

To be fair to the people on PT, all of the ones I've talked to have been very nice and friendly, and they didn't have any more warning than we did. I think it's been harder on us since ours was the forum that was totally uprooted, but it's got to be awkward for them seeing thousands of posts and many members move in. Nonetheless, they've all been very welcoming, particularly on the chat.

Speaking of the chat, their chatroom ("The Prancing Pony") allows for multiple people to have a discussion in the same window. I was thinking that if we want to ask Taz about the link situation, it would be best to do it either via e-mail or in the chatroom. The chatroom has the advantage of allowing multiple people to ask, instead of just one person. Would anyone else be up for that? Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 am

I appreciate what you're saying, Eldo, but I'm still mad as a hornet with the way things happened! If folk come over here to visit or even join us, I'll welcome them with open arms, but this is now my home, nowhere else! I don't bear a grudge against any other injured parties, I hope that's clear. Now I know what it feels like to be a downtrodden Minority. Sad Mind, I've always stood up for Minorities. After all, standing up for Minorities is eminently Respectable.
odo banks
odo banks

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 am

I agree, Odo. Chatting with the people at PT is fun, and if they want to come visit us in turn that'd be great, but as far as I'm concerned this is the true successor to THM. While I'll probably lurk and occasionally post at PT, this is the community that has kept me coming back for over a year and a half. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 am

I'm with Odo and Wisey on this one. I don't really care what the PT guys think of us. I'm sure they're very Jolly and all that, and I don't really hold it against them personally. But the way this situation has been handled was very shoddy. No notification or anything.

There I was seeing email notifications in my inbox ready to respond to, and what do I get? "Gnarly Dude! You 404'd it...click on this." I clicked and there it was...the Forum had been sold to PT... Mad ...without so much as a "how do you do."

3,200 + posts, all now in the hands of people who were certain to strip all the personality out of the threads and drop others altogether. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad And I can't really blame the PT folks, they have their rules. But they should have taken a gander at our forum and given us the option of keeping it intact in its own domain, with a warning to their own members that visiting our forum would be an Anarchic Wild West experience for Adult Fans.

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 am

And not only that, then they have the cheek to tell us how brilliant their "Lore-Masters" are. Like we're Village Idiots or something. Razz

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I see where you're coming from, and I agree with pretty much everything you say, though I would say "Taz" rather than "they". I've been chatting with a few of their members and moderators over the past few days and they had no more idea what was going on than we did. Razz And to be fair, they do have some great minds (I know a few of them from a different forum), even if some of the initial messages mentioning this were condescending. Besides, if we're going to mention our forum over there with the possibility of PT folks coming by, I think we should try to be nice and not overgeneralize about them. They have, after all, been very nice to us despite the disruption to their own forum. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I know, I'm just not done venting yet. Like I said, I don't really hold it against the Members or Mods at PT. I'm more mad at Ady than the PT folks, for not at least giving us a heads up. Mad

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Hobbit Forum Refugees Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

I'm disappointed Ady didn't tell us about this too, or how much the forum/site was being sold for. Would gladly have chipped in if the price was reasonable, so we could've kept all the threads. Still, in my experience forum communities seldom survive transitions like this one, so I guess it proved that the THM guys & gals are a solid gang Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 am

Ringdrotten wrote:I'm disappointed Ady didn't tell us about this too, or how much the forum/site was being sold for. Would gladly have chipped in if the price was reasonable, so we could've kept all the threads. Still, in my experience forum communities seldom survive transitions like this one, so I guess it proved that the THM guys & gals are a solid gang Smile

All thanks to having a brilliant young Cyber-Whiz-Kid Very Happy , and a strong community commitment to keep things going. You're right. Most Communities don't usually survive forum changes like this.

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

Gandalf's Beard wrote:

All thanks to having a brilliant young Cyber-Whiz-Kid Very Happy
Indeed. Cheers, Eldo cheers

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 am

Aaaw, thanks guys. Embarassed Very Happy I do my best, at least. But I could have made a new forum and it wouldn't have meant anything if not for the effort and care you all have put into keeping our community alive! Thank you all. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 am

Eldorion wrote:Aaaw, thanks guys. Embarassed Very Happy I do my best, at least. But I could have made a new forum and it wouldn't have meant anything if not for the effort and care you all have put into keeping our community alive! Thank you all. Cool

It just goes to prove that Anarchist Collectives can make a go of it when they have the means to fight Corporate takeovers.

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 am

Rolling Eyes Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 am

Yes, a group of people who are willing to pitch in can do a power of good. I know my contribution has been nothing less than pivotal (according to the Archet Bugle's account, I mean Embarassed ) but I certainly applaud all your efforts, my friends, I guess with special reference to you Eldo, whose new Forum (with my encouragement) has been a resounding success. We even have a new forumer, young Porgy Bunk, who has come all the way from Bree Hill to meet me and hear the full account of my heroics ---- err... our heroics! (Lovely girl. She likes beer).
odo banks
odo banks

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:36 am

DON'T WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've found my way here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank Goodness!!!!!!! the tolkien world place was quite daunting!!!
It's sad though that no one else was found! Thank Eru for Eldo!!!!

Hobbit Forum Refugees Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 am

I'm glad you made your way here, Tin! Very Happy Petty and I were both excited when we saw you on PT and I was waiting to see if and when you'd start posting here. I hope it feels like home, I tried to make it that way. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next