Bluebottle
Eldorion
Wisey Banks
Orwell
The Wobbit A Parody
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Excerpts from The Wobbit (A Parody) - Page 2 Empty Re: Excerpts from The Wobbit (A Parody)

Post by David H Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 pm

There! I just ordered a used copy for $2.37, which all goes to a nice used book store and not a penny to Lampoon. That should earn my voting rights when it arrives!cheers 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Excerpts from The Wobbit (A Parody) - Page 2 Empty Re: Excerpts from The Wobbit (A Parody)

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

You can leave reviews on Amazon without having purchased the product. At least, I think you can. It just won't say "Amazon verified purchase" next to your review.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 am

That must be something new added to their website, I've tried before and not been able too because I didn't buy it. My apologies, Dave, if I made you buy something you didn't have to. Your review is going to look more legitimate at least Wink

Excerpts from The Wobbit (A Parody) - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:18 am

No worries Ringo. It's another card in my hand. Money well spent in the cause of justice!Very Happy 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:01 am

Hey Paul, I'm glad to hear from you again! Very Happy I hope that work has been treating you well; we've missed seeing you around here but I'm glad that you've been able to keep busy.  It's great that you're continuing to push ahead with your parodies as well!  We've seen a lot of growth with the posting of fanfiction and other stories here over the past year or two, but you were one of the first to post stories on this forum and encourage others to do the same, which I've always been grateful for. Nod

Odo has largely retreated to his refuge of respectability known as Little Forumshire, but you might notice a suspiciously similar character going by the name of Orwell who still posts quite a bit here (including under the pen name "The Archet Bugle"). Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:43 am

Paul, I have a question/suggestion for you. When your FOTR parody goes on sale for kindle, will it be available as a free download for a couple days (I've noticed that this is usually the case when not-huge releases go on sale)? If so, I was wondering if you would be open to having your e-book posted to the free e-book community on reddit.com.

There are two medium-sized subreddits for free e-books.

http://www.reddit.com/r/freeEBOOKS
http://www.reddit.com/r/KindleFreebies/

Fantasy books usually get good reception in these communities, and there are a lot of Lord of the Rings fans on reddit.

Just a suggestion. If it's not a possibility, or you aren't interested, that's totally fine.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:00 am

As I see it, if I'm still looking into taking my 'royalities" action against you Paul and the stolen "Wobbit" is going to make lots of money off your back --- then --- as I calcultate it, there are now two Wobbits that I need to seek 'royalties' from..

Mmm... having that in mind, Paul, you can trust you have my full support in getting your cut. Not quite sure why I was taking legal action against you, but I'm sure it was for respectable reasons. Nod

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:47 pm

the Amazon review thing is a good idea. I regularly review books I have bought, and you can comment even if you havent bought the book from them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:54 pm

The book is in the mail. It should be here in 4-5 days. I plan to give it a fair reading and an honest review, but it's hard for me to believe that authors that would stoop to stealing a similar book's title will have much of anything new to offer. Rolling Eyes 

I'll keep you posted...
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Bungo- I'm glad you like the covers! I loved those old Barbara Remington covers, too!
Ringdrotten- I would be DELIGHTED to have you review The Superfriends Of The Ring. We'll work out the details once it's on Kindle. Did you read the Kindle version last time?
David H.- Thanks for your support! I'm about half through The Harvard Parody, and it seems to have stepped away from The Hobbit in a way I choose not to. I'll post a full review here later. Still, I would be VERY interested in a non-partisan, comparative review of their book and mine. I look forward to yours! I plan to give away the Kindle version this weekend, if that helps. I'm glad that you regard my cause as Just!
Eldo- It always seemed to me that everyone on Forumshire wrote all the time, well before I dropped in. Which is why I value the opinions here. And thanks for the heads-up regarding Orwell.

The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Bingo- I love your Reddit idea! I will post some advance notice on this thread when I plan to do any Kindle giveaways. I try to do one every few months. Could you share it to Reddit? That way I will not seem like such a shameless self-promoter.
Odo!- Great to hear from you! I'm busy squandering my two advances on comic con table fees and saving for my retirement. I can assure you, your check from me is in the mail. As for the kids at The Harvard Lampoon, you'll want to contact them when they're finished with finals. That would be the respectable thing to do. If anyone's interested, I can share the letters I've exchanged with them.'
Mrs. Figg- If you want a reviewer copy of The Wobbit, please let me know!
David H.-Thanks! Which book are you reading first, theirs or mine? Do you have a Kindle?

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:16 pm

The Wobbit A Parody wrote:
Ringdrotten- I would be DELIGHTED to have you review The Superfriends Of The Ring. We'll work out the details once it's on Kindle. Did you read the Kindle version last time?

If it is the Wobbit you have in mind, then yes, I read that on the kindle Smile I've read it twice, actually, and laughed just as much the second time Very Happy It will be some time until I get around to reading Superfriends, however, as I'm currently working my way through the Game of Thrones series, but if you don't mind waiting I'll be glad to accept the gift and give you a proper review once I've read it Smile Out of curiosity, how many pages will it be? Your Hobbit parody was lengthier than expected (which was exclusively a good thing Very Happy ), and FotR is a bigger book than the Hobbit after all. Anyway, looking forward to this! Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm

The Wobbit A Parody wrote:Bingo- I love your Reddit idea! I will post some advance notice on this thread when I plan to do any Kindle giveaways. I try to do one every few months. Could you share it to Reddit? That way I will not seem like such a shameless self-promoter.
I would be glad to post it for you! Very Happy Just let me know when!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:44 am

The Wobbit A Parody wrote:
David H.-Thanks! Which book are you reading first, theirs or mine? Do you have a Kindle?

-Paul
Hi Paul,
I have a Kindle I can borrow, but I don't have a high speed connection (I'm on a very slow telephone dialup connection right now), so I've got to go mooch wifi somewhere to download a copy.   I'd like to read yours first, but it depends on if I'm able to download it before theirs arrives in the mail. Either way, the comparison should be interesting!

Oh, and yes, if you have correspondence with the Harvard Lampoon folks that you think would be appropriate to post, I think that could be very interesting!Nod 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:42 pm

I didn't expect to get this much coverage in a Boston paper. The whole world is watching!
http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2013/12/03/harvard-lampoon-takes-the-hobbit/yZyR7Z0UEdvKDgoeTKun9M/story.html
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 pm

This is definitely becoming a very interesting affair - and I don't know Paul, but may yet help your sales.

(I'm caught up with the idea of renaming my own "Hobwit", "Wrobbit" - notice the play on 'Rob' [thieve] while pinching your idea of 'Wob' - which appears to be the fashion! - But I'm also thinking to give up my spoof because the Hobbit-spoof field is getting a little crowded it seems -- ohh soddit! Mad )

Anyhow - there is nothing like a bit of controversy to get things publicized - and I hope this works in your case, Paul. Why not? You've put the work in and deserve a break I reckon. Very Happy And isn't your book based around things of the Financial World, so why not a Real World 'rights' debacle to boost sales? There is a lovely synergy there somewhere, methinks. Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 pm

"But I'm also thinking to give up my spoof because the Hobbit-spoof field is getting a little crowded it seems" - Orwell

Should people stop making music because there are too many other musicians around? Or film makers stop making films because films have been made before? What a sad world that would be Sad

{{{{ No pressure, of course Nod }}}}

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Well, I would be interested in seeing the correspondence Paul. Nod  If only for the fact I have a certain interest in copyright law. Smile 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Orwell has a good point. Theres no such thing as bad publicity, have you thought of contacting major newspapers? get in there before the next film comes out, like next week for DOS. There will be a buzz about it in the press, but press stories go stale immediately, you have to get in while they are interested, ie, now. Next week the press is going to be full of Hobbit related stories, they may be interested in running a story on your predicament.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Yes, yes, yes... Controversy is required! And free publicity on the back of PJ's publicity! Cynical? Yes, yes, yes... and surely effective! cheers

NB: And fact is, maybe you should be given a fair break. And it'll cost neither Harvard or PJ anything - only feed into their publicity too. No losers, I reckon, Paul!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 pm

I dont think its cynical, its just buisness marketing and whatnot. A chance to get noticed while the reflection of Saurons Eye is on you Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archet Bugle Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm

HARVARD LAMPOON HARPOONED

"The Harvard Lampoon are a pack of bastards that steal other writer's book titles," says Needlehole socialite, Mrs Julia Figg. "I'd stick a red hot iron up their collective arse - whatever the number of Edward II's are involved! - and not feel one jot of guilt afterward - the bastards!"

Journalist: "So you are in total support of Paul Erickson, Mrs Figg?"

"Of course I am, you idiot, isn't it obvious? Paul is one of us --- though I suppose that rather handsome Orwell is right to suggest he might visit Forumshire a little more often, but that's just Orwell fo you! --- nonetheless, Forumshirans always stand up for their own against Evil Regimes like Harvard Lampoon - always!"

Jounalist: "Some, of course, have accused you Forumshirans of being a rather naive and narcissistic folk!"

"Who said we were naive? I fucking didn't!"

Journalist: "Just what I heard..."

"That's bullshit... You just made that up, didn't you!"  "

Jouralist: "Well, it's kinda true."

"Yes - and its kinda not true, too.  So button it."

Journalist: "Yes, Miss."  

Where Paul Erickson can go with his Worthy and Respectable Claim, not even we wise heads at The Bugle can say. But we wish him all the best.

Of course, the NotP is curiously silent on this story. We suspect a too close an association of the NotP owners with both PJ and Harvard Lamppon. Not that we at The Bugle mention this to be at all controversial.

Lesbo Proudfoot
Editor-in-Chief
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
Forumshire's Most Respectable Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:39 pm

that is spookily like my actual review on Amazon Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Oh, you know how these papers are, Figg. They pick up a quote somewhere and pretend they've got an exclusive ... allegedly.

Not that I would say anything like that about a well respected paper like the Bugle. Certainly not. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Ringdrotten wrote: but if you don't mind waiting I'll be glad to accept the gift and give you a proper review once I've read it :)Out of curiosity, how many pages will it be? Your Hobbit parody was lengthier than expected (which was exclusively a good thing Very Happy), and FotR is a bigger book than the Hobbit after all. Anyway, looking forward to this! Very Happy
If you're in no hurry that's fine. You can do a free download, which I will post here. I hope you like it!

"Superfriends" is only slightly longer than "The Wobbit." There was a lot of landscape description that I cut.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next