Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Forest Shepherd
halfwise
chris63
13 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 12 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:04 pm

All I can say is this, if I look at it as just another fantasy film I might like it, but if I look at it as Tolkien I am gonna blow pizza chunks. Its NOT Tolkien, its just another fantasy film. probably more like Legend of the Seeker, which is set in New Zealand, they had New Zealand accents, had Maori and multi-racial characters, had 'strong' female characters, and had more cheese than Petty's barrel. But I really enjoyed Legend of the Seeker it was great fun, so if I look at it as a more sophisticated version of that I might be able to watch it without flame wars.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 12 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:13 pm

Next we see our dark-skinned elf (erm, black elf, not a Drow) in the woods, catching an arrow and shooting it back. I cannot tell if the arrows are orcish-looking. But his quiver-full certainly reminds me of Legolas'. He's using a... what do you call it. It's a reversed grip on the string. Probably trying to make him look fancier for the audience. It stinks of that Danish twit, Lars Anderson, and his arrow-catching antics from several years ago.

You're right, that is a reverse grip.  In fact the bow is slanted the opposite way than it would normally be as well.  Good catch, both to Forest and the elf.

I've figured out one thing that's bothering me is the filmography.  I don't know anything about the technical aspects, but I'd say they are using a Narnia lens rather than whatever it was PJ used.  Just has that fresh/unreal feeling to it.  It's a look used to make people feel they are in a fantasy land rather than a real one.  Bad choice for an author who's whole M.O. was to make you feel his world was like your own before throwing in a troll.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:01 pm

I imagine that's the digital colouring of post-production that you're reacting to. A technique that was still relatively new when Jackson and Co. we're working on the first trilogy. Before that point it had been been achieved with chemical treatment of the film itself.
I'll have to look at the trailer again, and then at some of the Narnia ones to see if I can spot what you're talking about.

This is rather an aside, but do you remember how flippin' good the CGI was in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? Creatures in particular. Absolutely blew everything else at the time out of the water, and still looks better than a lot of modern work.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:31 pm

Narnia seems to have a saturated palette with a golden glow so the air looks almost plastic. They also seemed to have used some of the tricks used in Legend, with floating motes and bits of flowers in the air. LOTRs looks quite harsh in contrast, more blues in the atmosphere in Rohan in particular, and that odd but attractive bleached out look they got in some shots, in Minas Tirith.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:25 am

I didn't realize that Legend gave us the version of the Devil, basically, that gets re-used in movies like Tenacious D.

Which version did you see Figgs?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:19 pm

I saw the directors cut. I believe its better than the original release.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:03 am

Brazilian advert for The Power of the Ring.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:06 pm

They did right by showing less of the original trailer so fans have get less to get riled up about.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 09, 2022 6:19 pm

This guy is useless, he spends 90% of the time fucking waffling on and only give us "it feels like Middle Earth", well thanks for that you waffling hipster. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 pm

{{ yeah its not exactly informative- about the only news is that they had a 20 min screening- hopefully that means more information will find its way out soon enough and maybe give us a better idea of what changes are afoot! }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Dude needs to seriously fix his hair.  You'd think somebody who actually uttered the words "if you like my face..." would at least check a mirror before recording.

Though I think it was a mistake to rush right up to his hotel room and record minutes after the event, given that lamentable lack of preparation (probably to scoop the story) I think he did okay. There must be an embargo on what they are allowed to talk about, otherwise he at least would have mentioned what storyline he saw.  Nontheless we learned a couple things:

- The trailer did not give a proper impression of what the show feels like
- The show runners actually do know Tolkien lore (perhaps this makes it more unforgivable if we feel they mess it up)

So I feel better, but until we get a proper explanation of things such as "meteor man" I still consider it under water.

Last edited by halfwise on Mon May 09, 2022 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 pm

So of course TORN was invited, and I went over there and found this:

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/05/09/113105-the-vibes-of-power-amazon-shares-exciting-rings-of-power-insight/

Which is much like what Petty just posted, but in writing not video.  But TORN gave some explanation:

This may seem like a bunch of words that don’t actually say much, but that’s how Prime Video is playing the marketing of this show. In exchange for a trip and a look, they asked us to post vibes and no details.

Seems they got a tour of oxford, visited a pub or two, then came back to London for the screening.  And Amazon paid for the whole trip for everyone in exchange for "vibes but no details".  So we may not be getting details for a bit.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 pm

The chair of the Tolkien society was happy with it. https://www.tolkiensociety.org/blog/2022/05/i-met-the-team-behind-the-rings-of-power-they-love-tolkien/

Found the link on TORN, where our own Eldy offered her refined opinion on the topic under discussion.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 10, 2022 1:21 am

The Tolkien Society have been involved in strange goings on of late though.

There is a vocal and outraged set of voices on Youtube who have been bemoaning the upcoming show for quite some time now, and I must say that I am tired of it. I enjoy lambasting poor adaptations, but this poisoning of the well before hand is stupid.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue May 31, 2022 4:41 pm

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 31, 2022 5:51 pm

Pontificates much.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 31, 2022 10:10 pm

Fake news? It's set to release on September 2nd still, far as I can tell.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:06 am

Think there talking about the 2nd series being delayed.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:02 pm

yep the second series. They are probably waiting to see if the first one bombs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 am

https://twitter.com/FellowshipFans/status/1532029928811769858?t=GCxJTQy0rD7eJSKBnunVEg&s=19

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:02 am

Eru help us all. That post should perhaps come with a trigger warning!
Though I shouldn't be surprised. I really shouldn't.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 am

No that was horrible
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:32 pm

That's a striking hot looking shot, but that don't make it right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:26 pm

it was Lenny Henry that did it for me. Rolling Eyes good grief.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next