azriel
Amarië
Mrs Figg
12 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 34 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 pm

{{ A rather timely vid to pop up highlighting some of that witty banter Moffat Who is famous for (when Who was still fun and didn't take itself too seriously!)
One thing I predicted correctly about Clara way back when, that like Sarah Jane Smith who started with one Doctor (3rd) but is most associated with her second (4th), so too Clara began with 11 but is best remembered as 12's companion. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:32 pm

{{ Of course Moffat wasn't the first, there's been witty banter in Who since the very beginning but probably none better than during the 4th Doctor's run and from the pen of the late great Douglas Adams. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm

{{ More series 12 news, and more crazy rumours!

First seems Chibber's is definitely not sticking to last series no returning monsters as some classic foes join the
Spoiler:
in returning.

Spoiler:

So not personally entirely sold yet, but not by far the worse thing to come out of Chibbers era so far either.

And in crazy rumour news...

Spoiler:
}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Ahh... Rumours are more entertaining than Chibbers series have been so far. Razz

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Glad to hear that Capaldi is preaching the good word of Moffat's enormous and powerful brain.

Moffateism will be state religion when Scotland has gained independence. He is probably making sure he is still allowed back. Cool Twisted Evil

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 am

I am now wondering if Dutch!Moffat was infact there to check reported Moffat-haters and see how they would react when triggered by a Moffaty appearance. Shocked Good thing I didn't feel an ounce of murdering rage. Next step would have been mentioning Amy or Clara, though I guess there is enough written evidence in here...

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm

{{ Actually I'm not sure of Moffats views on independnce. I suspect he is more likely Unionist than pro-independence, or at least was pre-Brexit disaster.
People who work for the BBC tend to be unionists as they benefit form the full backing of a UK wide BBC.

Going on his Who he does mention independence one or two times, the first time I can recall is in Amy's second episode on board starship UK- which is minus Scotland as they refused to go with the rest of the UK and demanded their own ship. To which Amy responds- 'good for them'. But I think that more reflects Amy's views than Moffat's as writer.

Probably a more telling example is the scene with 12 and the tramp where he realises he has 'gone scottish' and has the rant about his eyebrows, suggesting they want to cede from his face and set up their own independent state. That scene also ends on the line, 'I don't know, but I'll probably blame the English.'
That may just be Moffat humour, he does also reference in anglicised form crabbit in the same speech with the Doctor, upon realising he has 'gone Scottish' declaring 'I can complain about things now, I can really complain about things.'
Making it hard to tell with Moffat when he is making a serious comment on independence and when he is just having fun with Scottish tropes as a Scot (hard to resist I know I do it all the time!  Very Happy  ) And as one wag in the comments of the below vid noted- realises he is Scottish then immediately mugs someone for there coat- sounds about right! Very Happy }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm

{{More from the Moffat/Gatiss interview on the 3rd Doctor bluray.

I mentioned already how Moffat says in it that Who has to be for everyone, that it cant pander to one group or idea.
Here's more on that subject- }}

'The Doctor has to be all those things. If you happen to be a High old Tory, well so is the Doctor. If you happen to be a revolutionary, well so is the Doctor. If you happen to be a bit of a macho man, well so is the Doctor. If you happen to like wearing cravats and have a very limp wrist, well so does the Doctor. I mean he is all those things at once. What is wrong with that? That's absorbing all the best values of everything and making them into one person. The Doctor, because Doctor Who is a mass appeal show, it has to appeal to everyone. You can't just be the left wing show, or the right wing show. You can't. You've got to appeal to everything.
So the Doctor is simultaneously a complete pacifist, absolutely against war, who works for a military organisation. The Doctor is a habitual revolutionary whose very clear that he's in charge. He can style himself a man of the people all he wants in his sort of hippy, Jon Pertwee way, but he is really expecting someone to get him tea. He's always starting a fight. He, frankly, he's a peace loving man who wanders the universe looking for trouble. And I think that gives the character a broad appeal.'

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:50 am

Amarië wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:Glad to hear that Capaldi is preaching the good word of Moffat's enormous and powerful brain.

Moffateism will be state religion when Scotland has gained independence. He is probably making sure he is still allowed back. Cool Twisted Evil

Laughing No doubt!

(I have in the past Petty.)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:37 pm

The silliness continues as Moffatyman returns joined by Martin Freeman-esque-man and sit there talking at the lunchtable and I must be good and not be a crazy person so I can't take a picture.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Ask for their autographs.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 pm

{{ Bugger it just bare faced cheek it and ask for their photo. Twisted Evil Buckie or two will sort any nerves out, or possibly make you challenge the Moffat alike to a fight- one or the other! drunken

This is good, short, poignant, sweet and to the point. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:24 pm

{{ RIP Terence Dicks who passed away today aged 84.

'British author Terrance Dicks, best known for his long association with Doctor Who, has died at the age of 84.
Dicks worked as script editor on more than 150 episodes of the classic sci-fi show. He also wrote numerous episodes.
Yet he is arguably better known for the many Doctor Who novelisations he wrote for the Target Books imprint.
Author Jenny Colgan said he had "helped more children (especially boys) develop a lifelong love of reading than almost anyone else who's ever lived".

You count me among those boys, when Who wasn't actually on tv to watch between series I'd often be found nose buried in a Target novelisation (often also the only way for many years I had to know the 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd Doctor era stories- most of which I had read long before I first saw them.
So on a personal note thank you Terence Dicks for all the Who which lit up my imaginations, helped develop and spark a love of reading (and in doing subtly influenced all may own later written attempts at prose) and made me appreciate that the universe is a great big place, and that its wondrous, and sometimes scary too Sofa pale in a good way. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:45 pm

{{ Easily the best series of the 7th Doctor. Ghostlight and Curse of Fenric being two personal favourite stories and well worth a watch for your classic Who fix if you've never seen them before }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:11 pm

{{ A great little interview with Terence Dicks with words which I feel are of particular relevance to the show now more so than when he made them about 7th era Who. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:09 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

{{ So the BBC have been trying to prove how great last series of Who was with Jodie that they have been sticking it up for awards left right and centre- its been up for baftas, Hugo's, an Emmy attempt, NTA, some other more minor sci-fi awards and now a TV Choice.

And guess what, it hasn't won a thing.

But that's not what annoys me. It doesn't deserve to win anything, hell it doesn't deserve tobe nominated at all- and that is what annoys me. The reason why they keep puttting this miserbale dead series of Who up for awards annoys me.

We have a comparison- series 9 or 10, but 9 in particualr at is has for example the anti-war speech from Capaldi, or his entire tour de force that is his one man episode in Heaven Sent, also featuring some of the best direction, editing and writing in Who's history.

Guess how many awards the BBC put Capaldi and his era of Who up for?

Yup a couple of Hugos over his run and some other minor sci-fi that unles you are a Who fan who follows the news about it you'd never have known from the BBC- no BAFTA', no NTA's, no TV Choice no Emmy attempt, nothing major.

But first female, super diverse cast, socially aware stories with strong progresive messaging? Every award going they promote it and stick it up for.

Next its up for a Wesh BAFTA!

Just stop BBC! It's embarrassing now for every one concerned. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Awfully suspicious indeed. It's hard to believe that anyone actually enjoyed anything last season more than Heaven Sent. Personal taste aside, it must be a matter of critics wanting to praise something that flows with their ideas of what progress in television looks like.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:18 pm

But it's not the critics, it's the showrunners. As Petty said they never won anything they submitted to.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 pm

{{ Yeah - though actually it did win one award at the BAFTA's I refused to include because the category- Most Memomarble tv moment - or some such rot has never existed before and only came about after pressure from the BBC to create it.
Why? So they could stick the one super worthy progressive scene in where Rosa takes her seat on the bus.
Making up your own category doesnt count! Mad

But yeah its been the BBC promoting it and putting it in for a ton of awards that its failed to repeatedly win any of, the critics havent been giving it any- the only time they nominated Capaldi at all was for his first series when they seemed to be doing it out of habit as they had put every previous Doctor up every year (with Tennant winning twice I think) but after that they nominated no one, not Capladi, not Coleman for acting awards, and bizarrely they put Gomez up for a supporting actor one for series 8 in which she barely appears.
Series 9 and 10 got nothing, not a single award nomination for its leads, writers, directors, editors, although the fx team did get a few nods.
We have to wait till Chibnal and Jodies appearence and suddenly the BBC are putting it and them all up for every award going for what is widly regarded as the worst series of Nu-Who and a contender for worst series of all time. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:06 am

I guess I don't understand how the system works over there in state-sponsored TV-land. How is it that the BBC just gets to choose which stuff to put up for awards? Shouldn't that be chosen by a jury of TV-critics or something?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 am

{{ I think its much the same everywhere- Emmy's work the same for example, for which the BBC noiminated Jodie's Who (Rosa again).
The production company submit epiodes to be considered for entry in competition- 'for your consideration' as my old leaked pirated vhs oscar copy of RotK used to say on the bottom of the screen every fifteen mins or so! Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:49 am

"But first female, super diverse cast, socially aware stories with strong progresive messaging."

In itself that isn't a bad thing, if it was a completely different tv show. The problem is it was patently obvious what they were doing an it took us out of the story as they were ramming it down our necks. That and there was hardly any Sci-Fi and the stories were boring.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 pm

{{ Its a bad thing if thats all it's got. You cant just be a list of check boxes to put a diversity or wothiness tick in- it has to mean something, it has to add up to something, it has to still be Who. And it's tragically, painfully not been. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum