All New Who - Page 18 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 am

Spoiler:
}}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm

{{Well its still a Chibbers series episode so inevitably there has to be a -Things That Don't Make Sense - though fortunately for all involved its a short one this time!

Spoiler:

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Ive read everyone's posts & I have to say I still think its shit, with a stonking big S. This is NOT Dr Who no matter how many allowances you make for it. This is not a NEW programme, its not finding its feet, its not something only just thought up by the BBC & trying it out to see if it will catch on, its been around for 50 years ! FIFTY not five or 5 minutes. So where the holy heck is the writing ? the creativity ? Down at Mc Donalds enjoying a quarter pounder ? I got more excited looking in a kids Happy Meal for the toy than this load of bollocks. I cant muster the energy to say how I felt or what I thought, I might later ? But, this dire load of tripe is the lowest Ive seen Dr Who sink. IL enjoy reading this thread but, until Dr Who regains its identity I will not watch this bilge any more.

All New Who - Page 18 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 18 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:07 pm

rantlet  No

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:14 pm

{{{ I wouldn't deny that this episode exists at all because of the obvious broader social/political agenda Chibbers has in mind for his version of Who. It fits right in with the rest of it, the difference I would say here is that at least its been done competently, which is a huge step up over what we have had so far. If they are determined to do this sort of pandering thing then it should be at least done well. If this episode was in any other series, not surrounded by the sort of pc claptrap it has been I think it would fare better. And if it wasn't about the 5th episode in a row where the villains
Spoiler:
Its Doctor Who- I want an evil space villain or a terrifying unnerving monster!!! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 am

That's the root of the problem "villains are people" that's another show, its not Who, in Who villains are aliens, Chibers has tried to fiddle with the format of the show way too much.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:44 pm

{{ I wouldnt say its the root of the problem in Who terms, we have that sort of villain who arent really villains before- in fact we got them 7 episodes ago in Moffats last one!  Mad
Spoiler:
}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

{{Been a bit of fuss about viewing figures lately- the Sun and other tabloids delighting in the drop of about 2-3 million viewers since 13's debut- but actually I have to say this is normal- even happened from the off with Eccleston.

What is a little weird is those pointing out this in defence of the current run seem to be doing so by implying the current figures are in fact exceptionally good by Who standards. Which seemed off to me, so I took a look at the consolidated figures for episodes we have as opposed to overnights, which dont really count these days for as much and especially on a channel with no advertising.

So I took as a comparison Capaldi fifth episode and Jodies fifth, as thats the latest we have with a consolidated figure-

The Caretaker (capaldi)- 6.99 million

Tsungra Conundrum (Jodie)- 7.49

So Jodie is doing fine viewing wise in comparison, and has kept hold of about half a million viewers off the back of the change of Doctor, new time slot and advertising. But given half a million viewers is well within Who's fluctuating weekly numbers its hardly doing as exceptionally well as its proponents are declaring. And bare in mind the Capaldi number does not include those watching on pc or tablets, as they have only begun including those in the official figures as of this series, so the difference between them in actuality is probably negligible if you could include them (assuming them to be about the current rate of half a million watching this way). So Jodie's run. Its doing fine. But that's all. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Looks like I've got some catching-up to do.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Still haven't watched any of S11 Cool

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:22 pm

{{Well its confirmed- no xmas special- there will be a New Years Day special instead- but for the first time in a decade no xmas special on xmas day. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:26 am

I am finding the companions are the worst I have ever seen and they have some stiff competition from Cougar Song, strip-a-gram Amy and needy Clara. This new lot are utter planks. I think Bradley Walsh has never had such bad writing to work with. He should have been a new Wilf.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 am

{{Well I'd obviously disagree about your choice of comparison, River is tons of fun, Amy is probably the most complex companion in the shows 56 year history (and despite your continued attempts to defame and sully the character by insisting she was in some fashion somehow immoral by being a strip-gram, she never was a stripogram, she was a kissogram which has the very big difference they dont take their clothes off or do erotic lap-dances and tend to turn up at offices, peoples work place and the like for birthdays- good old fashioned British fun Figg- surprised you'd find it offensive) and Clara I love with 12, they made a great team and had great chemistry.

Out of the current crop I like Grahame mainly for Bradley's performance, but the character is either comic relief or wise old man with words of wisdom. But he clearly has more to give from his acting, he obviously has the skills and has proved the only genuinely emotional scenes in this series for me, and there is at least a basis of a solid character in there if only they'd build on it.

Ryan depends on how he's written as it changes week to week, I like him when he's like last week, just out for adventure, trusting the Doctor and happy to go along with what comes up. When there focusing on his here today gone tomorrow illness, or his young man anger issues, or his Dad stuff I'm a lot less keen on him.

And Yaz, well I'm not warming to either character or actor sadly- the character is largely still a blank slate after 6 episodes, and we had 2 there were supposed to focus on her, last weeks and the weeks before, and we learnt next to nothing about her again, and the acting seem stiff to me and a bit amateur dramatics level.

So not my favourite crop of all time, no.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I knew you would react to the 'Poke-a-Petty' strip-a gram comment. Very Happy Just did it for old times sake, you know, when Who wasn't boring.

I personally think Ryan and Yaz have no right to be companions when you think in the past the Doctor has refused to travel with much more interesting and charismatic people. Even Ashildr was more of a candidate, the Doctor has refused a lot of people quite arbitrarily yet he she allows nondescript hangers-on. Does she ever actually talk to Ryan Yaz or Bradley one -to- one? or have a relationship with any of them beyond talking at them? Why does she ask them to accompany her exactly? is it because they are the first humans she meets, that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 pm

the Doctor has refused a lot of people quite arbitrarily yet he she allows nondescript hangers-on- Figg

{{There are basically two ways the Doctor gets companions- pure accident, or he picks them for some reason (usually because they display calm under pressure, show compassion unexpectedly or some such) in NUWho 9 met Rose by accident but it was how she responded under pressure that made him pick her out, the same is true of Martha, Donna was in the complete accident category as was Amy and Clara (well that was a set up by Missy , but the Doctor didn't know it), Bill the Doctor picked out because of how she responded to his lectures, and that she attended them at all despite the fact she only worked there and wasn't even a student and he had been tutoring her for best part of a year before she went in the TARDIS for the first time.

With 13 it seems deliberately to be in the accidental category- more so than any other NUWho and more inline with 1st Doctor era when he couldn't control the TARDIS flight and so couldn't return companions to their own time.
So just as 1 essentially kidnapped Ian and Barbara and that's how they got taken along so at the end of episode 1 of 13's run the others get taken along by accident.
But then it starts to get inconsistent. She didn't mean to bring them along, and she forgets Yaz is even there in episode 2 yet shortly afterwards she is all excited to go to tea at Yaz's house and is calling them her 'fam'.

Its hard to see why though. Or what changed between her only having them there by accident and forgetting they are there to them becoming best friends. Its not really supported in the scripts I dont think. (Unlike 1st Doctor and Ian and Barbara where their relationship was understandably not great at the start given he kidnapped them, but they grew in each other confidences and trust over time and over the entire first series.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm

yep agreed I just don't get the sense of relationship or friendship or even antagonistic respect. With Rory there were undercurrents of rivalry but you could see they were solid. Donna was an 'accident' but she quickly established one of the strongest friendhips in NuWho. When you think of the people he could have asked to join him, like Sally Sparrow, yet he/she doesn't even ask Ryan and Yaz its just taken as a given, it doesn't seem real or consistent.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 pm

"Delivery for the Doctor!"
BBC ONE 18:30 SUN 18 NOV

Can you believe we are just over halfway through the series already? In this weekend's episode a mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading the team to go undercover at the galaxy's largest retailer, Kerblam!

Making a guest appearance is Not Going Out star and Doctor Who superfan Lee Mack. See if you can spot him in the trailer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06rf536?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=&ns_campaign=PANUK_SHO_46_DCW_LeeMack&ns_linkname=bbcone_doctorwhoprogs11e7kerblam_dramascififantasy&ns_fee=0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46210019?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=&ns_campaign=PANUK_SHO_46_DCW_LeeMack&ns_linkname=bbcone_doctorwhoprogskipchristmasday_dramascififantasy&ns_fee=0

All New Who - Page 18 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 18 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm

{{First impressions as always- I quite enjoyed it. It was quite old school. Still a few niggles but for the most part that was harmless, entertaining, traditional Who.

Spoiler:

Its not an outstanding episode, its not a ground breaking episode, its very traditional, overall, but it is a solid enough entry in Who's episode list. I cant find too much against it. So 7 out of 10  }}}

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:59 am

{{Things in this episode which I thought were, well a bit weird!}}

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

{{Clip form Kablaam shown on Children in Need- for those who are curious to get an idea of the new feel and Doctor but without watching a full episode! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Yeah, it's off. She should be full of delight at things like the robot courier, but not wonder. The Doctor's seen it all. She's acting like she's meeting celebrities for the first time. Even someone who's not immersed in Who can see how wrong it is.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:47 pm

This is what I think of as a great Doctor Who. Razz Its got all the right ingredients. The current Doctor hasn't had one second like this in the whole 6 episodes. Not once have I thought, yep this is the Doctor. No

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Yes, that's it.  His wide eyes are showing knowing delight, not child-like wonder. It's a subtle difference but it can be felt. Wonder should be reserved for things the Doctor hasn't seen, which isn't bloody much.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm

{{12 when he encounters what he thinks is something genuinely new to him! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum