I will be waiting for the dvd.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

All New Who - Page 10 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 pm

how far did she fall?- Halfy

{{Hard to be precise- last we saw of her she was within the atmosphere, Id say lower than ISS orbit.

Skip to 4.40 to see for yourself. And it took her half hour to get from there to the ground.}}

{{How come Figg- not like you not find somewhere to watch a new ep- I was keen to hear your thoughts!  Sofa }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:49 pm

She fell from orbit and landed on a train... and was fine because...? scratch

Residual regeneration energy?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 pm

If she was falling with full air resistance the whole way and laying flat then somewhere between half an hour and an hour is about right, but of course she'd be in thinner atmosphere moving faster, so let's call that an upper limit.

If falling with no air resistance, she'd take about 5 minutes as a lower limit.

So call it around 20 minutes. Did she say the line 10 minutes after waking up? Did she wake up immediately?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:10 pm

{{ I am assuming it was that Forest-- when River regenerated from Mels into the River we know, and got shot up by a bunch of Nazi's she shrugged it off in a shower of regen energy, but Moffat at least gave us a one line explanation for it - "Tip for you all. Never shoot a girl while she's regenerating."
But in this case there is neither an explanation offered-  which given they have been touting this as essentially a stand alone jumping on point requiring no prior Who knowledge seems a mistake if we are meant to assume it was residual regen energy based on past knowledge. And secondly there is no visual display or signs of regeneration energy doing anything, as there was with River.
Makes you wonder what really killed the 4th Doctor when falling from great heights is apparently not something that troubles the Doctor in the slightest!

Halfy- she doesn't wake up- she falls out her TARDIS as in that scene- and falls to earth, smashing through the roof of a train, landing perfectly fine in the carriage on her feet and dives right into action. }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh - now I have to redo the calculation. But I'm afraid the mass-to-area is all screwed up for the Tardis.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 pm

mass-to-area is all screwed up for the Tardis.- Halfy

{{If its any help according to 12 if the TARDIS were to ever land on earth with its true weight it would crack the planet! (This maybe isnt surprising when you consider its engines alone run on an actual full size star perpetually held in the moment of collapsing into a black hole, as explained by 11) }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

well then, take it as the apparent mass of a police call box, which I suppose with a human inside would float in water, so lighter density than a human body. In that case half an hour isn't sounding so bad.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

I watched a small clip, her delivery is quite false.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

From what little I saw of previously leaked stuff i didn't feel she sold it either.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

{{if you dont mind some spoilery bits of dialogue this vid makes for interesting comparative viewing- 13 fits in just fine with the rest in terms of what she is saying and doing, but for me there is still a question over if she has the gravitas too for the role, the screen presence that being the Doctor requires.
Here you can see how she does against her previous incarnations.

I think I will have to wait till she gets a big Doctor speech against the villain to judge if she can pull that off. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Might be counting from when the regen started, rather than when she started falling. I didn't really think it was meant to be taken quite so litteral though. She fell through a roof, seems logic isn't the main priority.

I am far more worried about the writing than Jodie not being able to do the job.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 pm

{{The two are so intricately linked- writing and performance.
Take Jodies big 'I am the Doctor' moment- its got some momentum to it because she has spent all episode trying and failing to remember who she is. But neither the set up, the music, or the editing really make it a big enough moment.
 Here's Tennant's 'I am the Doctor' moment (in three parts cause cant find it in one complete vid)-

Stakes are high, companions lifes are at risk, there's an explanation for the ability to use surplus regen energy, and we get a hint of 10's darker side (and a nice Arthur Dent reference).

And heres Smith's turn-

Again the editing, music, and the writing all support the moment.

Capaldis moment came later in the series as series 8 was narratively structured completely differently, so here's his big Doctor moment in his debut episode- and his claiming of the title and what it means to him from a later episode-

But again is supported by the situation, the stakes, the companion and the rest of the people being in danger, and the music and editing.

Sadly cant find a clip of Jodies 'I am the Doctor' moment- but the stakes arent high the companions arent in any danger (gran puts herself in danger), its just some rogue alien on a hunt, and neither the editing or the soundtrack do much to build it up to the crescendo it should be in my view. This is your defining moment for your new Doctor, you dont underplay it! And you need to use everything to help your actor out, sound, direction, editing and writing.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 am

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 am

Heh, well, I watched the episode after all.

I see what you mean about the outro theme Petty, I really did not much care for it! Get rid of all that bloody percussion and it would be just okay at least.

Reading spoilers prepared me to like the episode more than I otherwise would have--next week I'll have to avoid them--so I didn't mind most of the things other people did. That being said, there are definitely some problems...

Spoiler:

So, yeah, let's say... 6/10. Not the smartest approach with the unfortunate event that binds a couple of the companions together, there were some unfortunate choices made, but the alien was okay and I found myself enjoying listening to Whitaker as the Doctor in a few different scenes.

Edit: I was in a pretty good mood just now, and then Petty reminded me about River Song surviving the Nazi's bullets. GAAAAH, I hated that episode. Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm

@Petty, I don't have wifi so I have to find something like those vid places you gave me a link to ages ago, but it eats my dongle credit for the rest of the month, so I have to find a place with wifi or buy dvd.

I just don't believe her acting at the moment. when she says "does it suit me?" its just false, it doesn't ring true. I just don't get the Eccy, Tennant, feeling of reality, or Smith's charm. Maybe it gets better.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Right so, I felt so unimpressed that I took the dog out as it aired, that's how interested I felt. But, after reading posts IL try to watch the repeat on Friday...2 dam 30am !!! IL see if I can ? Im still not sold on the idea of a woman Doctor. My mind says its a PC correct experiment that Beeb hopes pays off, letting them off the hook in this Woman Power season we are living in, but, until I see Dr Who I cant sayits a Woman Power Domination thingy & thank gawd Aunty Beeb has realised that women are a valuable asset at last.

All New Who - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:@Petty, I don't have wifi so I have to find something like those vid places you gave me a link to ages ago, but it eats my dongle credit for the rest of the month, so I have to find a place with wifi or buy dvd.

Took me a while to work this out: you're on dial-up like Dave is?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:30 pm

halfwise wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:@Petty, I don't have wifi so I have to find something like those vid places you gave me a link to ages ago, but it eats my dongle credit for the rest of the month, so I have to find a place with wifi or buy dvd.

Took me a while to work this out: you're on dial-up like Dave is?

no I have a key thing called a dongle which sticks out the side, I pay for yearly whatsits, and it renews itself every month, but I only have so much juice per month and watching streaming or videos eats up the juice. Very Happy I cant use wifi because I live up a mountain with no radio waves or whatevs it is. I would have to pay for an extra antenna on the roof I think its called EOLO.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Well that's cleared everything right up

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Well that's cleared everything right up

Moon clear that up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 am

If you have wifi at home, it usually means you have a router "broadcasting" from within your residence. You have to have one close by since wifi routers have ranges measured in the dozens or low hundreds of feet. That's the wireless part, allowing you to use the Internet on devices that aren't plugged into anything. The router will be connected to your actual Internet connection, which will involve at least some wires. It's unrelated to whether you're within range of a radio broadcasting tower, though.

I'm not seeing anything about EOLO in English after a few minutes of Googling but if it involves antennae on roofs it sounds like a satellite alternative for areas that don't have fiber optic connections and therefore otherwise rely on phone lines to connect to the Internet (either dial up or DSL; I assume this is what the dongle is for), which tends to be much slower.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 am

I would think it the dongle would be a cell phone connection. So can get plenty fast data, but as Figgs said she don't want to pay for it. Likely more expensive per GB if not on a monthly plan.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:58 am

Yeah, I had a similar "dongle" myself for a few years. Wireless Broadband, it was called. The service was over-priced and shitty, but perhaps that was because of too many users on the network.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:31 am

I had a dongle once, years ago &, never again. You paid quite a bit of money a month for ex amount of data etc. If you went over that allowance it accrued a high price the next month & before you knew it it was costing more than subscribing to say, SKY. I get good coverage & reception where I am but, as Im internet only the bills each month are quite high for the month & that months payment soon comes round. I also get phone calls so the trick is, don't use the phone unless absolutely necessary. You can get a deal where you get free weekend & evening calls but, it starts at 6 or 7pm, when shops, Doctors etc are not there & its a subscription of about £5 a month ? so not free afterall.

All New Who - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum