Pettytyrant101
Bluebottle
halfwise
20 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Star Wars [2] - Page 11 Empty Re: Star Wars [2]

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:21 am

bungobaggins wrote:You know what's really amazing about this movie? The fact that what I saw in the theater is what will be released on blu-ray. Georgie literally can't touch this, can't change a thing. And I don't think JJ is one for doing that sort of thing, so we're probably safe from a "The Force Awakens Special Edition" and the case is probably the same with the upcoming SW releases.

Quoted for truth.

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah the copied stuff probably bugged me a little more, but it didn't detract from me enjoying the movie. I see people online saying that TPM copied ANH as a justification for it this time around. While it's true there are some similarities, I would argue that TPM is MUCH different than ANH and its approach to the "poetry rhyming" was a little less obvious, especially in the ultimate aims of the plot.

The TPM comparison had crossed my mind as well, as well as the similarities between the original Star Wars and Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, but TFA is definitely much more derivative in terms of plotting than either of the other two. They do shuffle a few things around of course; one comparison I read and liked was to call it a SW mixtape. Razz

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:30 am

Good to read your thoughts on it too, malick. Nod I agree with most of what you say...

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:48 am

Thanks for the spoiler usage. For once I'm not clicking.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:59 am

Sure thing. I can't talk about it at all IRL because my whole family wants to go see it (something I'm pleasantly surprised by) but none of them have yet. Hopefully some of us will get to go together on Sunday.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:54 am

malickfan wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:58 am

Eldorion wrote:Sure thing.  I can't talk about it at all IRL because my whole family wants to go see it (something I'm pleasantly surprised by) but none of them have yet.  Hopefully some of us will get to go together on Sunday.

Don't know if my parents are interested in seeing it, but I'm going with my brother today. bounce

Did I mention the number of elderly people I saw in the theater yesterday? I'd say fifty percent were over 45. It was amazing to see an old man slowly walk in and buy a ticket for Star Wars.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:03 am

Eldorion wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:56 am

hmm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:19 am

bungobaggins wrote:

Spoiler:

SPOILER:

Ironic comments by George Lucas:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/19/george-lucas-star-wars-criticism-jj-abrams-disney-jar-jar-binks

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:28 am

whats wrong with lense flare? I like a bit of bling.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:14 am

What some of us have really been waiting for.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:11 am

I was just checking their site for that last night. Laughing Thanks for posting it, bungo! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:44 am

Mike really liked it. While watching the review I felt like there probably won't be a Plinkett review.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:04 pm

One thing that amuses me is the backlash I'm seeing on social media 'The Prequels were boring and didn't feel like Star Wars!' people shouted for years, and now 'The Force Awakens is a remake of ANH with too many coincidences and rubbish acting! bring back Lucas!' Abrams and co went our their way to please fans, and bring Star Wars back to its roots for a new generation (though let's be honest, the plot was heavily inspired by the format of ANH), and yet certain sections of the 'fanbase' never seem more happy than when they are angry and moaning (which admittedly probably true of any fanbase)...I went in with low expectations and came out surprisingly pleased, Star Wars is what it says in the title-action movies set in space, FA did that spectacularly, I'd argue that the OT (with the exception of EMPIRE) were more influential as cultural landmarks than classic films in their own right, and I'm inclined to think certain fans had a hard time separating this when they bought into the hype...TFA was by no means a flawless film, but frankly I didn't give a shit, I had a blast watching it and can't wait to see it again...

Watching a few clips of the prequels on youtube, I'm struck by the notion that they had a more complex story, and expanded the franchise with new vistas, planets and more thematic material than ever before...yet they were so badly made as films, and crucially pretty boring...I'll take a rehashed story and Disney playing it safe any day...(not that I don't want 8 to forge its own path)

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Why did Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6 come before 1, 2, and 3?

Because in charge of scheduling, Yoda was.

Star Wars [2] - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Star Wars [2] - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:36 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Mike really liked it. While watching the review I felt like there probably won't be a Plinkett review.

He was pretty positive on Star Trek '09 all things considered, and that got a Plinkett review, but I'm sure Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst takes up a lot of time (not that I'm complaining) so I dunno if he'll make one for Episode VII.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:39 pm

malickfan wrote:Watching a few clips of the prequels on youtube, I'm struck by the notion that they had a more complex story, and expanded the franchise with new vistas, planets and more thematic material than ever before...yet they were so badly made as films, and crucially pretty boring...I'll take a rehashed story and Disney playing it safe any day...(not that I don't want 8 to forge its own path)

Oh yeah, I think the prequels definitely had a more complex story. It shows a lot more of the worldbuilding too in terms of politics and the broader Galaxy. In the originals, a lot of that stuff was merely hinted at, and then elaborated on in the novelizations and radio plays. But a lot of that stuff in the prequels was really inept so I can't blame people for not liking it, even though I don't think it was the biggest problem with that trilogy.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Something meant to stir our mythological chords should not even mention the words "trade federation". Rolling Eyes

On another note, I should have bought my tickets ahead of time. Walked half an hour, only to find it sold out. Got tix for the next show, guess I shouldn't complain about an extra hour of light exercise.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Yes! I have indeed been looking forward to the Half in the Bag about as much as I have the actual movie.  Very Happy

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Friend of mine has seen it five times already, and I'm already considering seeing it a second time-which is highly unusual for me, the last film I watched twice at the cinema was DOS-and even then, that was largely because I wasn't sure what I liked about it, so whilst the TFA may not be a masterpiece by any means, with numerous issues, plot holes etc, frankly I couldn't give a shit, it's pure, unadulterated FUN, which is all I wanted (and expected) from the first in the sequel trilogy. That's how you rehash things Jackson!

Assuming it's as big a hit as everyone is expecting, I hope Disney don't take that as evidence to continue working to the set formula, we've waited a decade to see the universe again, and I want to see it pushed in as many directions as possible...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:Watching a few clips of the prequels on youtube, I'm struck by the notion that they had a more complex story, and expanded the franchise with new vistas, planets and more thematic material than ever before...yet they were so badly made as films, and crucially pretty boring...I'll take a rehashed story and Disney playing it safe any day...(not that I don't want 8 to forge its own path)

Oh yeah, I think the prequels definitely had a more complex story.  It shows a lot more of the worldbuilding too in terms of politics and the broader Galaxy.  In the originals, a lot of that stuff was merely hinted at, and then elaborated on in the novelizations and radio plays.  But a lot of that stuff in the prequels was really inept so I can't blame people for not liking it, even though I don't think it was the biggest problem with that trilogy.

When I think of the prequels, this is one of the first clips that comes to mind.

I wonder if that was one of the reasons the prequels weren't as popular?, obviously they are pretty ineptly written, but as I understand the Star Wars Expanded Universe hadn't really expanded Razz :carrot: :carrot: at that point (or at least not to the extent it would do in the 2000's) so Star Wars was primarily known as quite a straight forward action adventure romp between Good and Evil, the prequels added alot of depth and scope to the universe (pretty ineptly though) which audiences frankly didn't care to see at that point in time, weirdly enough though that seems to be one of the complaints about TFA-that there isn't much politics or supposed depth, it's a return to the straight forward OT style so maybe the prequels have had more of an impact than you'd imagine...by and large I don't think kids and teenagers (the target audience for Star Wars) make much distinction between the two trilogies (I didn't at the time...)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:43 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/12/18/star-wars-if-it-were-directed-by-ken-burns/?tid=sm_fb

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:45 pm

halfwise wrote:On another note, I should have bought my tickets ahead of time.  Walked half an hour, only to find it sold out.  Got tix for the next show, guess I shouldn't complain about an extra hour of light exercise.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I'm going to see it again today, this time with my dad and family. We pre-ordered tickets yesterday at my suggestion since I figured it's still gonna be packed.

malickfan wrote:Friend of mine has seen it five times already, and I'm already considering seeing it a second time-which is highly unusual for me, the last film I watched twice at the cinema was DOS-and even then, that was largely because I wasn't sure what I liked about it, so whilst the TFA may not be a masterpiece by any means, with numerous issues, plot holes etc, frankly I couldn't give a shit, it's pure, unadulterated FUN, which is all I wanted (and expected) from the first in the sequel trilogy. That's how you rehash things Jackson!

Assuming it's as big a hit as everyone is expecting, I hope Disney don't take that as evidence to continue working to the set formula, we've waited a decade to see the universe again, and I want to see it pushed in as many directions as possible...

Well said. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:55 pm

RE: Star Wars in style of Ken Burns

Great idea.  They need to work on the execution a bit and I think it could go viral.   Not there yet: they missed obvious moments like "droid against droid" (C3PO kicks R2D2). And pull in actors for the talking heads - they don't quite have the mimicry down.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:15 pm

malickfan wrote:Friend of mine has seen it five times already, and I'm already considering seeing it a second time-which is highly unusual for me, the last film I watched twice at the cinema was DOS-and even then, that was largely because I wasn't sure what I liked about it, so whilst the TFA may not be a masterpiece by any means, with numerous issues, plot holes etc, frankly I couldn't give a shit, it's pure, unadulterated FUN, which is all I wanted (and expected) from the first in the sequel trilogy. That's how you rehash things Jackson!

You know, seeing all this excitement from the outside is kind of amusing, because.. hey, it might actually be good.. and fun.. but.. come on.. it's Star Wars.. made by Disney!?

That's not something that sounds designed to get me overly excited about anything, on the whole.

I do wonder how people will feel about it in a couple of years, when that first spate of excitement has died away. All that differently than about the prequels? That everyone was up in arms about the last time (although they've conveniently decided they all hated that now)?

I wonder a bit, at least. Shrugging

Hey, it might actually be great, although I'm hesitant to believe that. Popularity seems to blind people, as does a Star Wars badge. If it's good I'll be pleasantly surprised. Hell, if it's decent I'll be pleasantly surprised, considering the standard of movies over the past couple of years. (And that's counting some of Abrahams.)

Here to help. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next