Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Hey Halfy what about your Oxford story? Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Tolkien in General - Page 15 Empty Re: Tolkien in General

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Cant wait to hear them Halfwise. I also moved from the center of Oxford and lived in a tiny hamlet called Combe near Woodstock. It was pretty special, I still dream of it sometimes and if I went back to England I would go back there in a second. unfortunately its very expensive to buy houses there. I studied art history there and as I am a huge fan of the pre-raphaelites, it was heavenly.

My story ended up on the crabbit thread because that's where you were last harassing me about it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Has anyone been outside the Bodleian Library, broad st end recently? They're doing some refurbishment and outside there is an A-Z of Oxford things. For T is Tolkien along side his illustration of a Conversation with Smaug. It took me by surprise, because it's Kafria's avatar!

I grabbed a quick picture before my irritated/embarrassed sister pulled me away, but I thought it was pretty neat nevertheless.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:06 pm

So where's the picture then? Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:14 pm

]Tolkien in General - Page 15 Imag1210

Last edited by Ally on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Very Happy Nice one. Maybe Kafria is running for Mayor there too? scratch

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Running?

Oh no... doing no running... nothing that includes standing on my poor aching feet.

After a week back at school in my 'Yes a couple of inches makes all the difference when dealing with you youngsters even if you still tower over me! Yes, it is enough to justify wearing them, even if I can't stand up after two hours' shoes I feel like a cartoon with red angry throbbing feet.

Might have to dig out my old piccy though, love it!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 am

That's neat that "T is for Tolkien". Has that been there long?

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Orwell wrote:Maybe. I can say now, one third in, that I'm impressed. It certainly fleshes out this early part of Tolkien's life. Must say, I'm not looking forward to his friends dying in the war, but it'll begin soon. Being a fleshed out history, I guess I'll be told about their sad deaths with some detail, which I'm not really looking forward to. They become more real and likeable the more I read about them. He lost another young friend who I hadn't even heard of, Vincent Trought, to illness even before the War. All very sad.

When I read The Letters I felt so sick at heart for John Ronald that I could scarce get through some of it. To leave his father behind and never see his beloved face again, to see his mother suffer because of her choices and to find out while he and Hilary were away from home mummy died a horrible death all alone; to have to say goodbye to Edith for all the years it took to finish school and then to lose the friends who had become family was too terrible.
There was a statement he made however that rather floored me, I thought it was almost narcissistic and cold, but perhaps it was only from shock and grief. He said to one of the boys left that it seemed to him that it was divine or something like that that they had died and he and a few others had lived, that it was destined for them to be famous and do great things and not the others. Something like that. Those words disturbed me for years. No
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:52 pm

That sounds to me leelee like survivors guilt. It was a particular problem after WW1 because that war was so terrible in loss of lives.
Tolkiens references for making sense of events and the universe was religous, so he sought his answers there. Why did he survive when his friends did not? What made him different? The only reason which makes sense from a religous persepective is God has a plan for him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes, I know you are right, I guess it just shocked me, it seemed so out of character.
Oh goodmorning Prince of Buck(ie)land. it is ten to six in the morning here. I get up between one thirty in the a.m now for work to about four thirty. I like the quiet and the feeling anything magical can happen.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Good morning gentle leelee, its early afternoon here- or second buckie breakfast, closely followed by liquid lunch.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:50 pm

There's sort of an update with Skyrim Merp. The petition is nearing 15,000 signers, so that's good. The team reports to expect news from TORn very soon. They're going to cover the story, I think. Many had sent letters to Ian McKellen and he responded.

"I sympathise with your problems although I know from other examples that WB are very protective of their rights. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do other than suggest that you write to Sir Peter Jackson, c/o 3Foot7 Productions, Stone Street Studios, Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand.

Best Wishes Ian McKellen."

Hopefully if Jackson can be reached he'll help the team out. If he does help and Merp is completed, well my opinion of him would have changed dramatically.

It's funny the position the team has been placed in - they have so many supporters who want to help so badly they may end up hurting Merp. For example the team wants to send a few well thought out letters themselves. Now every supporter wants to bombard Jackson with letters pleading for help. That might annoy him. I don't think I have it in me to personally beg Jackson so I'll let the Merp team do that.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

"hi peter jackson, im ur no.1 fan.lol.
it wld be gr8 if your support MERP because they need to play a good Middle Earth game real bad
if u refuse u r a heartless bastard and I'll make sure you disappear from the face of earth like Lindsey Lohans twin"-

extract from a letter I just sent

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

ally, you're the best.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Only an extract? Shocked

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 am

She's PJ's number one fan a bit like the way the woman in Misery is that authors no1 fan.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Norc wrote:ally, you're the pest.

Can't but agree. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Good morning gentle leelee, its early afternoon here- or second buckie breakfast, closely followed by liquid lunch.

I got buckied the other night... sick for the next twenty four hours -- and I mean sick at both ends! --- Buckie is not what it's cracked up to be, Petty... I knew that, of course, but buckie-drinkers have such short memories.... I'll never drink again --- though I might have just the one... .... ....

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 am

Orwell wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Good morning gentle leelee, its early afternoon here- or second buckie breakfast, closely followed by liquid lunch.

I got buckied the other night... sick for the next twenty four hours -- and I mean sick at both ends! --- Buckie is not what it's cracked up to be, Petty... I knew that, of course, but buckie-drinkers have such short memories.... I'll never drink again --- though I might have just the one... .... ....

I am sorry to hear you were ill. I don't drink so cannot imagine how terrible you felt. terrible , just terrible. pale No
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tyrant Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:46 am

From a lifetime (unfortuntely) of observing my brother I would hazard Orwell the mistake you made was allowing yourself to become sober. Petty avoids the effects of a hangover by never becoming sober enough to get one.

Although he is going to have the mother of all hangovers when he finally wakes up.
Especially as I have discovered that if, every time he makes a noise as if he might be awakening, I hit him over the head with the table again he goes right back to sleep.
Wish I'd thought of this years ago. Twisted Evil

Clue-finder

Location : Pure Publications communal housing scheme, Scotsdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:32 pm

You may be right, Pretty, but as I'm sober now - and recovered - I think I'll steal clear of the buckie for awhile...

Btw - We haven't seen Petty around for awhile. Very Happy Can't last, of course! Evil or Very Mad I mean no disrespect, but you just don't fill his void, Pretty. No, not at all. There's no way you can fill it. You haven't a kilt for a start. That's definitely a skirt! Laughing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 am

Which translated means Orwell has a huge crush on you and wishes you would stay forever. Laughing
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tyrant Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 am

Well of course Orwell has a huge crush on me. Why wouldn't he? I mean, look at me!

Doesn't mean I dont have a set of handcuffs with his name of on it however. Just as well I am expanding the Lockholes to take up the entire Lower Hill. Tolkien in General - Page 15 1918643206

Clue-finder

Location : Pure Publications communal housing scheme, Scotsdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 am

All my posts are posted during intoxication
Apart from this one where I am just really ill
Ifarc ~if any one really cares

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 37 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 37  Next