bungobaggins
Eldorion
Tinuviel
Orwell
halfwise
26 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:47 am

I love it. lol! The more visible smirk in the larger size really completes it. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

parzival wrote:
Eldorion wrote:This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but parzival, I have to say that the Smaug in your avatar looks like he's thinking "do you even lift, bro?"  If his feet were touching he'd look just like that one kangaroo.
Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Bilbo

lol!

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 pm

This kind of speaks for itself-

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:44 pm

He seems to me to be the sort of person that will still say that even if it was LOTRs & NOT the hobbit he was in. With Rings the people lived alongside each other. It was quite a close knit 'gang'. So you could understand the sweet sadness at the very end. Could ANYONE feel sad at the end of the hobbit ? Relief I would have thought but, maybe thats reflecting MY feelings at seeing it go ( yay ! ) Smile

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Yeah he just seem that sort- doesnt get overly sentimental about his work.

But I thought the bit where the interviewer says 'you almost had the least to do in this film" and he replies "Don't rub it in." Was probably a bit of knowing truth under the smiles.
So much for 'The Hobbit'. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Uhuh, I got that to Nod I bet he thinks, "oh well, dont complain, got paid for not doing much ". But his name will be on the credits so ? Its the most laid back Ive seen Martin, ( in the film I mean ) In Sherlock at least he's acting !

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 PdNy1y3

I had NO idea 'roo forearms were so muscled. Shocked Wouldn't want to box with one.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:34 pm

The best part is that kangaroos clearly know how swole they are and will flaunt it.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 2pYGecE
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Normally I'd think of meeting a pack of tough 'roos in a dark alley to be a joke, but I'm not so sure any more.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Ayup...

And another, and another... Sing (Jason may have heard of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band from Glasgow) to the fade out of SAHB's 'Tale of the Giant Stoneater')

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/11285677/From-warm-and-witty-to-carnage-adapting-The-Hobbit.html

'Boom'. 'Boom'. Both Barrels again. Sure is gettin' Fun, Ma !

I've also seen a trailer on TV for an adaptation of Norman Hunters Brilliant kids book 'The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm', (one of my all time fave books from Childhood) and I feel as sick about that as this film. I hate Harry Hill in any shape or form.

EDIT: just watched the video. He reminds me of how Euan Mcgregor feels about being Obi-Wan in the Star-wars reboots. 'Its just a job, and not real...' says it all really. But even Freeman knows its a Turkey.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:26 pm

parzival wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:''These are being treated like Jacksons own prequel to his lotR's film, not a Tolkien adaptation."

that in a nutshell is what its all about.  No

It's too late.  It's been too late for years now.  There was no coming back from the inevitable course these films took, though it's funny how so many people hung on and continue to do so hoping for some kind of book-like payoff.  The Hobbit movies that could have been never happened.  And we don't even get a lazy semblance to the book in the film's closing, apparently.  

So I figure one has two options.  Ignore the final film (which is close to impossible, though would be a mark of strong character), or just go see it and get it over with, friends and popcorn bucket present.  And then get drunk and talk about how awesome the films could have been.  

to be honest I have a horrible suspicion that I will actually enjoy it as a popcorn movie. I imagine Jackson like Russell Crowe in Gladiator shouting 'are you not entertained!' and me shouting back, 'yeah bring on the spectacle gimme moar legolas!' Razz Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Ayup Figgy...

Gladiator is NOT a popcorn Movie, but a highly accurate historical Drama forsooth !

(I prepare for you to unleash Hell on me)

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 pm

yeah I wasn't dissing Gladiator, its a great film and defo NOT popcorn. Very Happy
I was equating Jackson as a Gladiator ready to sacrifice anything to keep the mob happy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I knew that... Wink

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:48 pm

That Telegraph review is brutal, especially the last line, but will likely be closer to my thoughts than most of the early reviews.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:27 pm

has Norc done her review yet? Very Happy what about the other Fyordlandians?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah, about that Telegraph article.....
telegraph.co.uk wrote:Boorman’s [Lord of the Rings] film eventually came to nothing, for various reasons, including United Artists’ horror at the sex scenes the director had inserted into the plot.

What's with this? How many sex scenes can he have inserted into LotR scratch
and with whom ? Shocked

Embarassed

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 UJpDi Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 3 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Shocked sudder to think
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:51 pm

"Yes Precious! Yee-*ungh*-eeessssss!!"

or

"Mr Frodo?"
"Yes Sam (*sigh*, these webs of darkness that assault mine eyes!)"
"Did Master Elrond say that the ring would grow or shrink to fit any finger?"
"Yes Sam I suppose he did, but what about this hideous darkness that surrounds us?"
"Mr. Frodo my love, I have an idea..."
"Oh my! Oh my.. SAM!!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:05 am

Mrs Figg wrote:has Norc done her review yet? Very Happy what about the other Fyordlandians?

Um.. Embarassed

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:09 am

The most famous sex scene Boorman proposed was between Frodo and Galadriel.

Go on and marinate on that for a minute.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:14 am

Them UA execs are either sharper than we think they are, or passed up a truly legendary opportunity.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:33 am

If the Tolkien Estate sued over lottery machines... Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:44 am

From Nicholas Barber's review for the BBC:

There aren’t many film productions which would go to the effort of engraving the toggles on either end of a dwarf’s moustache...The fact is, though, that if you find your attention wandering to moustache jewellery in the middle of a climactic fight to the death, it’s a sign that the film you’re watching isn’t very gripping.

I love how the reviewers seem to be competing with each other for new ways to make PJ go "Ouch!".

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:58 am

That's film critics for you.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next