Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 36 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 36 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by azriel Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Watched "Legend" this afternoon. I liked it, I thought Tom Hardy did such a good job playing each of the Krays twins that I forgot it was him alone doing it. The film didnt tell me anything I didnt already know & I think it was trying to be seen from the outside in, which didnt really work as it was weak, I also think the producer wanted us to "feel" for them for once ? that they werent the cruel villians we all thought they were ? The mother of the boys wasnt mentioned hardly at all where as in previous films we lead to believe that Ron especially was dedicated to his mum. Nothing was mentioned about Charlie, the eldest brother either ? At just over 2hours it felt a long film at times & I dont think it went too deep into the whys & wherefores but, I have to say Hardy played the nutcase Ronnie very scarily. Without Tom Hardy I would have found this film boring in truth, but then, Its not a new story to me. Im sure anyone who doesnt know of the Krays will be mesmerized Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:38 pm

I was curious about that when I first heard of it. I'll watch Tom Hardy in just about anything. I love you
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Watched Kingsman: The Secret Service and Ex-Machina yesterday, both very good Smile

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Woo hoo yeah baby !!!, Tom is my "crush of the moment " Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Cheers, azriel. Very Happy Have you seen him in Bronson yet? That's still probably my favorite Hardy performance.

malickfan wrote:Watched Kingsman: The Secret Service and Ex-Machina yesterday, both very good Smile

I didn't watch a lot of movies last year but I adored both of those. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Kingsman is fantastic. Thumbs Up its rare that I thoroughly enjoy a film, but I certainly did enjoy this.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Eldorion wrote: That's still probably my favorite Hardy performance.

What about Stark Trek Nemesis? *sarcasm*

I didn't think much of Bronson personally...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Kingsman is fantastic. Thumbs Up its rare that I thoroughly enjoy a film, but I certainly did enjoy this.

Nod

Felt like a cobintion of Kick Ass and 60s Bond movie, the church scene was affraid

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:48 pm

He was amazing as Bronson !! He really is a dam good actor in my eyes ! Each character Ive seen him play is different. Look at the difference between Bronson & as Bob in "The Drop" ! or as Ivan Locke in the film "Locke" Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 pm

The church scene in Kingsman was my favorite part too.

Bronson was definitely not what I was expecting but I enjoyed it. Not as much as Drive (from the same director), though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:06 pm

If I ever meet Petty its going to be.. Manners... Maketh... Man. Handbag
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:11 pm

But I have loads of manners, bad ones granted but they still count!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 pm

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Watching Spaaaaaaaaaaace Cooooooooooooooooop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:12 pm

How was it? Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:20 pm

Was as expected, a B-movie filled with shlock. Some of the performances from the actors that they hired were actually pretty good considering the production cost/script material. The performances from Mike, Jay, and Rich were a little stilted, though. Patton Oswalt's cameo ran a little too long IMO.

There were a lot of practical effects and miniatures, but also some pretty good CGI considering the limits of their production. Mike mentions in the commentary that their Canadian friend Colin, who appears in a couple episodes of BotW, did the CGI for their title sequence and the CGI in some scenes.

The script was pretty basic, which, when you're aiming for a B-movie feel, is alright, but I guess I would expect just a little more from RLM. There were a lot of gut-busting moments, especially between Mike and Rich.

I don't want to sound like I'm being too hard on the movie. I did enjoy it, and it fit the bill for what it was.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:13 am

Sounds pretty good all in all, thanks for posting your thoughts on it. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:04 am

The Revenant was really gorgeous. Although, I don't think it's sunk in enough yet for me to make any real value judgment on the narrative.

There's apparently this famous Norwegian actor in it, (Kristoffer Joner) who spent about 6 months working on it, but only appears for about 30 seconds. I can't say I spotted him, but still.. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:38 am

Watched Spotlight yesterday. If you are up for something serious and don't mind feeling depressed afterwards, go see it. Acting was good.... I forgot Michael Keaton could act!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:56 pm

even after Birdman?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Someone said that to me today... I haven't seen birdman.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 am

He acts, quite excellently, in that film.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Watched "Victor Frankenstein". It was quite good if not a bit cheesy in places Smile James mcAvoy hammed it up a tad towards the end & it wasnt 100% as the book because you are seeing it from Igors perspective. Daniel Radcliffe plays Igor & at the beginning you see him as a taunted & ridiculed circus clown, mainly due to his hunch back. He actually acted ! & I felt sorry for him ( Im losing my mind Smile ) The film flies alone at a cracking speed & tho you never see any body dismemberment & grave robbing etc you do see that Igor isnt a retarded, blubbering cripple but, a man with a brain & intelligence. The hump on his back is answered for, he has a girlfriend & we see him try to bring Frankenstein to his senses. It wasnt earth shattering but, it wasnt crap either. I quite liked it Smile The tone & atmosphere was well done & of course there was the obligatory "Its alive!!!" manic half laugh half demonic leer, which all Frankie films must have Smile I think what I also liked was that there really wasnt much CGI used. A breath of fresh air as CGI can go too far & bore the arse off me. This version was more about life & a lot less about the technicalities of raising bodkins to stomp the Earth Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 am

I can really appreciate that absence of CGI Azriel; that sort of thing really stands out to me.

For example, I just got back from The Witch, and it contained no CGI at all as far as I could tell. 

And wow, it was really really good. I mean it was amazing! The strangest thing about it was how much it reminded me of my own childhood growing up. Not, of course, the horror aspects or the witches. But so much of the family dynamic, the farm-life with its various animals and small house, and the strong religious beliefs shown in the film were things that I had also grown up with. 

The acting was exceptional, the dialogue (and authentically 17th century-sounding delivery of said dialogue) was as interesting as it was cool-sounding, and the subject of the horror found in the film (witches in New England) was done just right. 

That's what I really loved about this film: the horror was only a backdrop to the real story being told of how the family was struggling to stay together in this harsh and horrible frontier environment. There is one scene (SPOILER IF YOU INTEND TO GO SEE IT!!)
Spoiler:

It's a dark, dreary, and nihilistic film about the struggle of goodness and love and family in the face of wickedness, death, and temptation that perfectly captures what the frontier in 17th century New England must have felt like while still making the ideas and viewpoints of that time relevant and very meaningful to a modern audience. 

It is a horror film though. Do not see this movie if you have a soft spot for babies being alive as opposed to murdered.

(Funnily enough, a certain character from Game of Thrones who had a nursing 10 year-old (or so) played a woman in this who gave suckle not once but twice.)

(And actually, her husband was played by one of the Ironborn who helped burn those boys back in season 2 or whenever. He was really good in this, and has a wonderfully deep and gravelly voice.)

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next