Forest Shepherd
Ringdrotten
bungobaggins
9 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dark Tower Series

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Pleasantly surprised, Forest! Very Happy I thought books 2-5 were slow, but they pick up speed eventually, and then the wait is worth it. I liked the ending the stand too, bungo, I just thought the sacrifice was pointless.

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:50 pm

I like your God theory, though - the whole God and Abagail thing was a pretty important part, so why not Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:47 am

Mine eyes detect spoilers amid the wreck!
Best steer clear, for body and soul...

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Ringo, get your hands on a copy of In The Court Of The Crimson King if you haven't already. The entire album is fantastic.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Court-Crimson-King/dp/B00065MDRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438115248&sr=8-1&keywords=the+court+of+the+crimson+king

This one?

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, you can purchase it digitally through iTunes if you're inclined. Wasn't able to find the mp3 on Amazon or Google.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

If they make a movie Oy can not be CGI.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 pm

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2015/08/07/release-date-stephen-king-the-dark-tower-movie

If this is true, it doesn't seem like very good news. First, it's less than a year and a half away. They had better be finished with the script and starting pre-production/casting soon. Second, they're releasing it during "Fuck You It's January" month. January is the dumping ground for movies that either suck, or the studio has no faith in.

Best case scenario: they either move back the date to summer 2017 or dump the project all together. It'll probably be the latter.

We don't even know what their long term game plan is. Will there be a TV series? How many movies? Have they only planned for the one movie so far? This could be disastrous. No

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 am

As long as it's not called "Stephen King's The Dark Tower" I think we'll be okay. The January release is disturbing though.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't know if I want this pale This scene from Scrubs sprang to mind:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:23 pm

hehehe. Laughing

This is my reaction to the news.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:56 pm

lol! I imagine that's what Eddie must've felt after having been drawn, looking out into nothing and sea Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:06 pm

I think I may have posted this in this thread before, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to check. I was reminded of this song several times while reading The Gunslinger, when Roland chases Walter across the desert. It's originally a Warren Zevon song, but he never recorded it. Billy Bob Thornton sang it on a tribute album, and his somewhat "original" voice goes well with the lyrics Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 pm

I like that song. Billy Bob's voice is perfect for it. Thumbs Up

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm starting The Waste Lands. I heard there was a very good horror section in this book, and that it's slightly better than the last one. So if either are true I'm quite excited!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:15 pm

I liked that song also Thumbs Up

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I'm starting The Waste Lands. I heard there was a very good horror section in this book, and that it's slightly better than the last one. So if either are true I'm quite excited!
It was pretty good but not my favourite from the series thus far.
Bringing back Jake was done well, but... I don't know. It's like we saw everything Gandalf was going through before he came back. I think I would have preferred for Jake to just come back some other way, or not at all. 

I also thought the two-state splitting that Roland and Jake went through was too similar to the dynamic of Odetta/Detta in the previous volume. I was quite glad when that particular plot was resolved. Stephen King is the king of author who often talks about his own writing processes in introductions and so on. Therefore I don't feel crass in pointing out that in writing about Odetta's debilitating split-personality in Drawing of the Three and then Roland and Jake's debilitating split-time crisis he played the same trick twice. The second time around it didn't work as well for me.

Still, things picked up in the last third, I thought, and I liked the cliffhanger ending.

I've just begun Wizard and Glass. Things are getting exciting!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Yes, it is a great cliffhanger!

Glad you're still reading Forest. And good to hear your opinion on book 3, which is probably in my number 2 spot for all 7 books. I liked the faster pace and action in book 3. I had trouble getting through book 4, but Ringo really liked it. You probably will too. After getting halfway through the series it's just like reaching the top of a slide. The last three books went by very fast.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Yeah, I liked it alot, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Also very glad to hear you're still reading, it's a fantastic series if you stick with it Smile  

Bungo - if you decide to reread the series, I can recommend the comic version of book 4 - much shorter, but does the story justice in my opinion, I liked it alot. By the way, 30% into Salem's lot now, things are gettting scary already Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:25 pm

I think I watched Salem's Lot sometime last year. Unfortunately, you-know-who didn't have a very big part in the story, but the Nosferatu-like design of Barlow scared the bejeezus out of me.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:48 am

I watched Salem's Lot on TV also & its been the one film that scared me shitless for a VERY long time after ! I didnt take my eyes off the window in my bedroom for what felt like years ! pale

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Dark Tower Series - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:41 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3vsxfe/director_ron_howard_here_hi_reddit_ask_me_anything/cxqewv8

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:36 pm

"Stephen King is very excited about the script"

That sounds very promising!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah, but I still feel that if they don't cast the actors and start shooting soon, then the studio will either move the date back or just dump it altogether. The last thing I want is for the movie to feel slap-dash.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:14 am

http://deadline.com/2015/12/idris-elba-the-dark-tower-stephen-king-matthew-mcconaughey-1201663530/

Seriously hope this is just click bait. Don't even know anything about the script and they're already departing from the source material. Seriously not interested in this project if that's the kind of respect they're going to have for the books.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next