Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 38 of 39 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 38 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Norc Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:52 am

Laughing well yeah, the colours are better this time, not as vibrate and noisy Very Happy lake town looks great though i must say Nod
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 38 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 am

from the Variety review.

''So what I did is work that in reverse,” says Jackson. “When I did the color timing this year, the color grading, I spent a lot of time experimenting with ways we could soften the image and make it look a bit more filmic. Not more like 35 mm film necessarily, but just to take the HD quality away from it, which I think I did reasonably successfully.”

so whats the point? just use film? if its all for 3D its a bit useless, 3D is a gimmick, It distracts from the story, its not like its an improvement on film, it just alters perception and takes you out of the story because you are too busy waiting for the next 000h! moment, you notice the special fx and miss the story. 3D only works in films like Avatar where its 99.9% cgi or films like Alice in Wonderland where its supposed to be trippy. Actually Alice was the only 3D film I have ever enjoyed, it was integral to the story not just tacked on as an afterthought like Harry Potter etc, and its the only 3D film that was bright and didnt look like it was filmed down a peat bog.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Good question- wasnt he full of crap about AUJ about how much better the look was? And that it was just a shock to people and once their eyes had adjusted to it theyd see the light of his wisdom?  
Backtrack much PJ? Mad

"3D film that was bright and didnt look like it was filmed down a peat bog."

Day of the Doctor was bright and by all accounts the 3D was effectively used for those who saw it in that format. I dont get why PJ had such a hard time with it in the first place if a tv company can do it right first go.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Going today (better be tickets left!)! Wish me luck Nod

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 38 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:24 pm

I hope you have a good time Ringdrotten, even if the film is crabbit-inducing! Very Happy I"m about 25 hours away from my chosen showing now. bounce
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Norc wrote:Laughing well yeah, the colours are better this time, not as vibrate and noisy Very Happy lake town looks great though i must say Nod

Great to hear. Nod I didn't see AUJ in 3D but the colors were really distracting.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:54 pm

t-14 hours! Though admittedly I'm not as excited as I was a week ago. Maybe it's because I kind of know what's going to happen, or maybe because I just know it will make me cringe half the time.  Shrugging Oh well. I've already decided to watch it with two mindsets; someone who enjoys the changes to the book and is just going to watch a film, and then myself.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 38 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:03 pm

What book?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah, from what Norc said they have pretty much turned it into a goofy action comedy. Which means they've taken it in a completely different direction from both from the book and the LotRs movies.

The best way to see it would probably be to try and forget that it's got anything to do with the Hobbit or Tolkien and try to enjoy it for what it is.

Shame, but that's reality I guess.  Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Well, depends on what sort of comedy - could be they actually managed to bring out some of the book's comedy, though I seriously doubt it. One can only hope

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 38 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah, I was more thinking of the pouring molten gold on dragons and reality defying fight scenes kind of goofy.  Laughing 

There's certainly enough movies like that that does well at the box office.  Rolling Eyes 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Look up any movie on IMDb.com and you'll see a THDoS wallpaper, featuring Tauriel and Legolas. No actual hobbit (or Smaug) anywhere in view Rolling Eyes
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am

Good point Ringdrotten, some of the book comedy would have been very welcome!
I've been rereading the book in anticipation of the release (I'm going to see it Saturday, I think) and I really enjoyed being reminded of the Rivendell scenes.
There is, of course, Thorin and Co.'s entrance into the valley and the elves' playful reaction to their appearances, but the following scenes where (and now my faulty memory kicks in), I think, Bilbo and Gandalf and the dwarves go back out into the evening after dinner to watch the elves dancing on the river-side by (maybe) moonlight. It's something similar to that.

Anyway, I was thinking about how film audiences have gotten to see Elves dancing all of ZERO times throughout PJ's work, and how disheartening that is on a very basic level. How can Peter Jackson's vision of The Hobbit veer so entirely away from my own? Include at least some of the visual and story-telling epicness that has been handed to you PJ, you overgrown badger-butt!!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm

one of the things that I missed the most from DOS is the feasting scene in Mirkwood, it wasnt there in any shape, no lights, nothing, actually once the spider fight was over the Whole Mirkwood part was over in what seemed like 5 minutes, it was just there to set up Legolas and Tauriel. There was ABSOLUTELY no idea of the vastness or the length of time they were in Mirkwood. They went in, stumbled round for a bit, got caught by spiders, fought spiders and then got caught by the Elves, thats it, end of Mirkwood scenes.  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Evil or Very Mad I cant believe this is still possible after all Ive read, but with each new comment from those who have seen it that I read, I have to revise my expectations down even further.  Evil or Very Mad How is that even possible?  Banghead 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Evil or Very Mad I cant believe this is still possible after all Ive read, but with each new comment from those who have seen it that I read, I have to revise my expectations down even further.  Evil or Very Mad How is that even possible?  Banghead 
I expect your expectations will end up somewhere in China eventually.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I hope my soon be released crabbit explosion doesnt blow their wall down then!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Seeing it today, Petty?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

blue wrote:The best way to see it would probably be to try and forget that it's got anything to do with the Hobbit or Tolkien and try to enjoy it for what it is.

that's what i did.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:22 pm

What these movies usually end up being, though, is bad. Bad as adaptations, bad as movies...just bad.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Im not sure when I will get to see it Blue- it starts at my local shed cinema tonight 19.50
But it will probably be the middle of next week before I can go.
Although I have to admit the thought of paying for this atrocity and lining Pj and the Covens pockets further is putting me off, I may yet look elsewhere and to hell with them.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, you can at least take comfort in the fact that Peter and co will probably have to sue New Line again to get their cut.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Radaghast wrote:What these movies usually end up being, though, is bad. Bad as adaptations, bad as movies...just bad.

Yeah, even if you take PJ's advice and see it as an LOTR prequel rather than a Hobbit adaptation, there is still a lot of room for disappointment.

Well ... I'll see how I feel when it's over in a few hours. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:05 pm

I did try at least to go with a positive outlook, I expected to enjoy a silly romp, but even looking at it like a parody or even just a generic fantasy film it fell short. way short, it was messy and rushed hell for leather seemingly with no regard to character or logic. There were a miniscule amount of Bilbo moments, actually good ones, and the bit where Martin Freeman does some good acting is immediately after the scene I most hate in the Whole film. ( ie the Killing of the creature for no good reason than to show the corrupting power of the Ring fuck it to buggery)
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Wholeheartedly agree with you, Figg - rushed and next to no scenes with Bilbo. Mirkwood seemed, as you say, something the writers just seemed to want to get out of the way so they could skip to Thranduil and his scar and the epic barrel showdown. The spiders were Gollum with extra feet - they talked so much like him I half expected them to say "What is it, precious? It stings, precious" :facepalm:

"Good point Ringdrotten, some of the book comedy would have been very welcome!" - Forest

May have been a good point, but I'm afraid I've given you false hopes Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 39 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next