Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 15 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm

It's one of those things that makes me feel indirectly embarrassed. Like when you're a kid in school and you're in class and another kids says something absolutely totally embarrassing without realizing it (like he/she is trying to impress everyone), and you turn your head away and try to look down and pretend it didn't happen. And the teacher is totally flummoxed by it and tries to brush it off without hurting the poor kids feelings. Everyone tries to move on and ignore it, but we all heard what was said. It lingers like a foul smell and the entire classroom reeks of awkward.

I'm betting that line is 100 percent Philippa Boyens.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 15 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by RA Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Hey the narrator pronounced Smaug correctly I think. Smile  Can't be bothered to watch that second time, but there's some good in this world and it's worth fighting for.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 pm

In regards to the opening line, I think they know the fan reactions to a lot of these things and purposely highlight particular aspects that haven been proven to annoy. Kind of like how Jackson opened one of those blogs with the Radagast bit and then they interviewed the make-up guys and they described at length how they got the poop in Radagast's hair just right.
They're at it again it seems Rolling Eyes 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Is it my imagination or do they get the Elves to pronounce things as perfectly as possible?

'I Tis noT our fighT'

'I Tis our fighT'
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:19 am

Lancebloke wrote:Is it my imagination or do they get the Elves to pronounce things as perfectly as possible?

'I Tis noT our fighT'

'I Tis our fighT'
I think that's simply one example of dialogue where the entire meaning of the sentence relies upon a single word: "not."
Generally, I've found that the trailer-creators for this film mostly give the viewer well-pronounced, dramatic statements; the less ambiguous the better. No doubt intended to lay bare the bones of this story for anyone not familiar with The Hobbit.

Haha, who am I kidding. They pick the most dramatic lines and pound them into our heads over a period of months with loud frantic musical accompaniment in a desperate attempt to rip us off yet again make more money.
For some cinema verite Smaug should have been played by the producers.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:50 am

I'm not watching the TV spots, I want to save all the laughs for the cinema.

Twisted Evil 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:10 pm

I had a weird dream last night, I was in Comic-conn/TORn conference arena with PJ and the cast. Everyone in the vast audience were sucking up to the max, then PJ said, ''so did anyone not like the film? ha ha! grin grin''. and everyone said 'oooh yes Peter we all loved it, youre the bestest ever'' and I stuck my hand up nervously, and thousands of eyes stared at me and there was complete silence as they took it in. ''so what didnt you like?'' says Peter in a jokey yet sarcastic way. and I say ' I did like the sparks coming out of the chimney, that was quite nice, but the rest was garbage''. I could hear muttering and booing, and then Sir Ian stood up and said ''RUN you fool!!'' then I woke up in a sweat.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Very Happy Good crabbit dream Mrs Figg- Im proud of you! You stood up to say the truth. Nod And I think Sir Ian was definitely on your side, the man knows when he is spouting garbage, even the dream version. Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Razz 

Though doesn't this deserve to be in the dreams thread?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 pm

yes I think Sir Ian would agree with me, and probably Martin Freeman too. Very Happy if the truth be told.

I love you  I love Sir Ian
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Well I guess we should thank you for getting in one for all of us Figg, even if it was only in a dream. Very Happy

Here's Ian McKellens appearence on Have I got news for yo if you haven't seen it. With some Lord of the Rings references as well.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I had a weird dream last night, I was in Comic-conn/TORn conference arena with PJ and the cast. Everyone in the vast audience were sucking up to the max, then PJ said, ''so did anyone not like the film? ha ha! grin grin''. and everyone said 'oooh yes Peter we all loved it, youre the bestest ever'' and I stuck my hand up nervously, and thousands of eyes stared at me and there was complete silence as they took it in. ''so what didnt you like?'' says Peter in a jokey yet sarcastic way. and I say ' I did like the sparks coming out of the chimney, that was quite nice, but the rest was garbage''. I could hear muttering and booing, and then Sir Ian stood up and said ''RUN you fool!!'' then I woke up in a sweat.
I hope you keep better company in your dreams tonignt!
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:In regards to the opening line, I think they know the fan reactions to a lot of these things and purposely highlight particular aspects that haven been proven to annoy. Kind of like how Jackson opened one of those blogs with the Radagast bit and then they interviewed the make-up guys and they described at length how they got the poop in Radagast's hair just right.
They're at it again it seems Rolling Eyes 
I hope a bird poops in PJ's hair.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Laughing 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:38 pm

And I hope someone catches it on video and uploads it to YouTube Twisted Evil 

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 15 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I'll wear a cam, should be room to hide one in the bird costume Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Maybe you could raise a bird and train it to unload on selected targets Twisted Evil 

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:04 pm

I was out driving and heard a funny conversation on the radio. The radio host was talking to a movie critic about upcoming films. They talked about Hunger Games and then some non-blockbuster movies like Nebraska. The host then moved on to talk about DOS and he said he was so sick of The Hobbit and wasn't going to see it. He was sick of how they were stretching it and making such a big deal of it all. The movie critic agreed with him, but said he had to see the movie because it was his job. Laughing Gave me a good chuckle, and it was nice to see other people feel the same way who aren't just on forums being all crabbit. Razz

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:19 pm

I think it's more than the traditional "purists" that are annoyed this time around.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah, at least some viewers of the film (who aren't Tolkien enthusiasts) are noticing that there's not much reason to stretch out this poor little children's story. I suspect they are detecting a false note when it comes to his unasked for embellishments.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 am

well i can actually say now that I will be seeing DOS on opening weekend and also say I will NOT be paying to see it. I just passed my rewards point goal (Catching Fire was pretty good I thought) and got a free ticket to any film I want to see. So Peter Jackson wont be getting a dime of my money to see his film next month. Smile  Wink Wink 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 am

I don't know if I'm going to watch it, even if for free.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:51 am

I'm glad you found a way out of your moral dilemma, Sin!

I dunno Raddy, even knowing it's bad and fake Tolkien it's still a visual spectacle with some familiar elements. Sort of like a hobbit themed WWF wrestling match. I figure I won't be able to keep myself away.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:26 am

I dunno halfwise, PJ has pissed me off time and again. I just know I'd hate it Neutral 

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:30 am

I'll probably see the film twice to take it in. That's what I usually do with films I'm really anticipating, although if the first viewing leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth I might forego seeing it a second time. I probably wouldn't have gone back to see AUJ again if I had been able to see it with my brother on opening weekend.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next