Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 8 of 39 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 8 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 am

Sinister71 wrote:
I do see some pretty good things in the upcoming film though too I've pretty much gotten over the dwarfs looks although I still despise Kili and completely hate the axe in Bifur's head while at the same time thinking he does look pretty cool other wise. Thranduil looks pretty bad ass IMHO, Bard I'm starting to like the look but still hate the 3 kids thing and not sure about the whole Robin hood comparison. But so far he looks pretty cool other than those few things. I'm not stressing anymore I'm going into DOS with a I don't give a shit attitude and see what happens. I'm currently reading the Hobbit and enjoying the TRUE story of Bilbo Baggins as it was meant to be told.  
I like when Sinister writes in stream-of-consciousness mode. It presents a good challenge to the mind, to pick apart all the different ideas being presented. Razz

Edit: Actually my mind may have been overloaded by reading all those paragraphs non-stop. Either way, I need to just say that while images from that Noseless Trailer on the previous page will haunt me forever, 1:20 was strangely hilarious.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 8 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:15 pm

I think DOS is going to be a stream of Benny Hill chase scenes. But with more clothes.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

The really worrying thing is that still sounds like an improvement on AUJ.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The really worrying thing is that still sounds like an improvement on AUJ.
Do you really think so? Shocked I really can't see why DOS will be any better, and I suspect it will be worse. I've said it many times, but I think your edit proves AUJ wasn't bad at all when all the crap had been cut, and I am able to enjoy the film without it. My worst fear is that all the made up stuff and what's left of the book will be so mixed up it'll be too difficult for you to make a decent edit of it. I'm going in with the same attitude Sinister is, but my expectations are about as low as they can get Neutral 

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 8 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Well, if Smaug dies at the end of DOS at least there will be some sort of natural progression for the story. With AUJ the story jumped back and forth so much it never really made any sense, and then they introduced the Azog story line to make it even more confusing.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Do you really think so?- Ringdrotten

No, I meant watching an episode of benny hill where the ladies keep their clothes on would still be better than watching AUJ again.

I think DOS is going to make AUJ look like a faithful adaptation in comparison.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

I honestly cannot see how it's going to pull that off, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Another month and we'll know!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Simple- I dont think there will be one single thing in it, or one single line of dialogue left untampered with.
DOS will be 100% fanfic.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm

"I think DOS is going to make AUJ look like a faithful adaptation in comparison." - Petty

I read that line all wrong, got it into my head that you said DOS would be a faithful adaptation in comparison. No idea how I managed that scratch I guess we agree then!

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:57 pm

got it into my head that you said DOS would be a faithful adaptation in comparison- Ringdrotten

Evil or Very Mad

I also assume therefore that you thought I had gone mad!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:08 pm

We should have a wager on how many lines (or even significant fraction of a line) comes straight from Tolkien.

We already have one from Bilbo's first words to Smaug.

I'm guessing 'one'. Nod 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Do you think (strictly CINEMATICALLY speaking) that DOS will be better than AUJ?

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 8 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm

halfwise wrote:We should have a wager on how many lines (or even significant fraction of a line) comes straight from Tolkien.

I'm guessing 'one'.
A safe bet.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Do you think (strictly CINEMATICALLY speaking) that DOS will be better than AUJ?
It's possible, though I didn't think that AUJ was very good from a cinematic standpoint either. The short preview of Legolas, Tauriel and Thranduil's interrogation didn't look promising though.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Well, they changed the "In a hole in the ground lived a Hobbit.." bit. So they'll certainly not keep anything out of sentiment.

I guess lines like "We'll all burn together" is preferable to Tolkiens.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Tinuviel;

I think it might if Smaug dies at the end of it. It might at least give it a coherent narative development. AUJ was all over the place as a film.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm

How come Legolas looks fatter and older? I thought he was an elf and The Hobbit (movie) a Prelude? scratch

My theory is that Tauriel gets killed and so Legolas doesn't have an elf wife to cook big dinners for him anymore - or give him all that stress women give men (apparently). Very Happy

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm

It'd help if the filmmakers decided on a tone and stuck with it.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

They have decided on a tone RA- the tone is crapness, and I think they have done a remarkable job in sticking to that so far. It was crap start to finish Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:19 pm

halfwise wrote:We should have a wager on how many lines (or even significant fraction of a line) comes straight from Tolkien.

I'm guessing 'one'. Nod 
But sadly as the scene plays out further, the dialogue is changed. I judge the dialogue not by just one small portion from the entire statement from a sequence. I judge it by the complete dialogue of the entire sequence. With Bilbo and Smaug since that is the example you gave, the first little bit of Bilbo's statement is spot on but he doesn't finish his thought from that moment in the same way. It completely changes words and phrases. So while one small part is correct the sequence as a whole is majorly rewritten. Which doesn't even make sense since they alter Bilbo's dialogue to end with a 3 syllable word Stu-pen-dous, while the book ended with tre-men-dous. Small exerts of dialogue should be expected to be correct. But not the dialogue in its entirety. Rolling Eyes  I know its not the end of the world, but it just proves that even though the timing of the words are correct they still feel the need to alter them, so that none of Tolkien's dialogue makes it into the film unaltered.

If I had to pick how many lines from Tolkien will make it into the film, I would have to look at the sequence of dialogue not just bits of it. In which case my wager is going to be on, NONE. Not one or two, but NONE. Since it has been that way with ALL of AUJ. None of Tolkien's dialogue remained without some small alteration. No  Something else I find sad aboutthe Hobbit films since I found the characters dialogue to be very well written
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Cinematically it will probably be a LOT more interesting just from an aesthetic stand point. We will see Mirkwood, Thranduils palace, Laketown, Beorns hall. All new places to visit. Not like a stale Hobbiton and a cheap and nasty Goblin hole full of poop.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:27 pm

A huge problem Sin is that their 'replacement' dialogue is so bloody awful- the troll sequence in the book is a delight, the conversation at turns frightening and amusing but always with an undercurrent of the threat- PJ 'replacement' stuff is awful all the word play, the rhythm of it are gone. Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:A huge problem Sin is that their 'replacement' dialogue is so bloody awful- the troll sequence in the book is a delight, the conversation at turns frightening and amusing but always with an undercurrent of the threat- PJ 'replacement' stuff is awful all the word play, the rhythm of it are gone. Evil or Very Mad 
Completely agree about their made up dialogue. It is crap... But when they try and use the books dialogue and only change a word here or there, or add just a few more is what really burns me up.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:38 pm

One of the things my mind simply cannot fathom is why they changed iconic lines- the books opening being the most glaring probably (although its not alone), especially as they replaced it with something that is obviously poorer written and ruins the structuring of the original- there is no narrative, no adaptive reason for it I can think of.
It seems to be just a desire to leave no complete Tolkien in it.

Has anyone seen the EE's yet with commentary- do they give a reason for that change?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Haven't bought it yet. I'm buying an xbox one as soon as I can get my hands on one (it won't be available in Norway until January, and I suspect I might have to wait to get one even then), so I'm considering waiting for that so I can buy the blue ray edition instead. It's funny, or sad - the LotR EEs I couldn't wait to buy, this one I can wait for. I will consider buying it if you are going to buy it for your edit before that time, however, makes it a lot easier to give proper feedback Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 39 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23 ... 39  Next