little moments from the book that the film missed...

+9
David H
Forest Shepherd
chris63
Orwell
Radaghast
Mrs Figg
Norc
halfwise
Sinister71
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

little moments from the book that the film missed... - Page 2 Empty Re: little moments from the book that the film missed...

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 am

That's more included then most little moments from the book. Razz

You're correct though, of course. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

little moments from the book that the film missed... - Page 2 Empty Re: little moments from the book that the film missed...

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 am

On a happier note Eldo, I actually liked, for a moment, the bit where Thranduil "sees" Bilbo hiding in his chambers.
The elven-king is, of course, only talking to Tauriel, but I think I would have enjoyed a scene between Bilbo and Thranduil. Lee Pace and Martin Freeman acting off each other might yield some interesting stuff. Razz
At the very least, it would have been a counterpart to Elrond and Bilbo's conversation in AUJ.

A BIG thing the movie missed was the significance of the archway through which Bilbo must walk to enter the treasure-hoard chamber. Bilbo peeks around it in the book, and the second time in Smaug's lair nearly walks right into view of the dragon, before he catches the gleam of his half-lidded eye. In the film, the physical play between the two occurs on top of a sand-dune-like MOUNTAIN of treasure resulting in Bilbo's sliding and bumping around in wide-angle shots for much of the dialogue.

And what was up with the amount of treasure? Erebor is too way too damn big, and there is way too much frickin' treasure inside Smaug's lair.
Smaug's lair wasn't even a lair, it was a vast city of columns filled with a veritable sea of gold. My modern mentality immediately jumped to the idea of devaluation, and how little value gold would actually have if such store existed in those sparsely-populated days.

"Oh yeah, here, let me pay for my supper with gold... Ten pounds about cover it?"

See the bloody difference??

little moments from the book that the film missed... - Page 2 TN-Conversation_with_Smaug

little moments from the book that the film missed... - Page 2 The_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug_sneak_peek_hd_mp_4_21

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2