CC12 35
David H
halfwise
21 posters

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Not so crabbit now! [2] - Page 14 Empty Re: Not so crabbit now! [2]

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:43 am

That reminds me of the Seattle PD's Q&A about legal marijuana from when that started.

SPD seized a bunch of my marijuana before I-502 passed. Can I have it back?

No.

They also embedded this video at the end of the post:

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm

On vacation. Smile

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Hope you enjoy yourself, bungo. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks, Eldo. Going to Wisconsin to visit my grandparents in a couple days, so it should be a good time. Smile

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 pm

The extent of my experience with Wisconsin was driving across the entire north-south length of it last month, but it was definitely a very pretty state. Smile Glad to hear that visiting grandparents is something to look forward to for you. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Madison is what makes Wisconsin worth visiting. Nod

I suppose the cheese farms are worthy of respect as well.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:25 pm

I think this is a good guide all men should read. Nod

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gym-romance-flowchart_us_571a7e7be4b0d4d3f723563b

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Huh, I use that same flowchart for women outside of the gym, too.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:55 pm

I go to a student gym. (It's basically hopeless.) No

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 pm

A story from Quora:
(I'm using the http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-happened-when-a-former-white-house-intern-hung-up-on-hillary-clinton-2015-1 version which was abridged from https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-true-personal-story-that-people-have-a-hard-time-believing/answer/Ellen-Vrana)

Below we are republishing an anecdote from Ellen Vrana, one of Quora's top writers and a former White House intern about an experience she had with then-First Lady Hillary Clinton.

I was in college, 1999. I had a summer internship at the Clinton White House. I loved government and wanted to get into it.

I worked in a building within walking distance to the White House. You didn't need a badge to get into my building. Or an ID. In fact, all you needed were hands to open the door.

My job was to listen to speeches and type them up. The technical word is “transcribe.” I transcribed the heck out of quite a few speeches. I also did “copying,” “collating,” and occasional “binder clipping.” I could see the White House from our building.

Funny enough, my boss’s name was also Ellen. This is important.

One day, I was covering for Boss Ellen’s assistant who was out with the flu, playing hooky, or just dead — I cannot remember. I got a break from the copier (and it got a break from me). Promoted! I was scared.

It was going fine, relatively fine, when Boss Ellen got a phone call on her line. I answered it for her outside her office.

Me: “Hello, Ellen’s Office.”

On the phone: “Hey Ellen, it's Hillary. What do you think about…”

The First Lady was calling me! She knows my name! She wants to know what I think!

Me: “HOLY SH** IT’S YOU!!!”

I just swore at the First Lady of the United States!

[Panics. Slams phone.]

I just hung up on the First Lady of the United States.

Me: “FUUUUUUUUUUUU***K!”

It is as bad as it sounds.

Overwhelmed by the awesomeness of talking to the First Lady, thinking she meant me directly when she said “Ellen,” I got verbal diarrhea and swore at her. Then, in shock, I slammed down the phone, thinking that would undo everything. Realizing that I had done that, I then yelled out an even worse obscenity to the entire office.

The rest happened pretty quickly:

My boss called out, ”What is going on out there!?”

The First Lady’s aide called back immediately, and I apologized. She ignored me and said, ”Put us through, please.”

I put the call through.

My boss never mentioned it to me. I was too embarrassed to look at her again. I went back to the copier. My old friend. I never did meet Hillary Clinton in person.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon May 16, 2016 1:31 pm

That will forever be how I answer my phone from now on. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Sansa and Jon I love you Crying or Very sad cried so much.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 20, 2016 5:05 pm

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 20, 2016 7:01 pm

lol!

I hope this meme never goes away.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Seen on Facebook:

Not so crabbit now! [2] - Page 14 Itvolxh
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

lol!

Not so crabbit now! [2] - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Not so crabbit now! [2] - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 20, 2016 10:44 pm

lol!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 20, 2016 10:47 pm

this is very funny too.  Laughing

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 pm

lol!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:27 pm

If things had gone differently this would have ended up in the "things that are making you crabbit" thread, but my phone seems to have made a recovery.

I was out driving late Wednesday night cause I just needed to get out of the house for a bit, and after getting a donut at Wawa I was driving up I-95 near the town where I live when I saw a bunch of cars stopped in the middle of the highway. I pulled over to the right lane but soon could see that there was a crashed car in the median that was smoking. A few other people pulled over on to the shoulder as well but no one was by the car, so I got out and ran across the three or four lane highway (yes I looked first) towards the car. The guy was in the process of disentangling himself from his airbags when I got there and seemed unhurt when I asked him if he was okay. He didn't have a phone so I gave him mine and he called his wife and then I called 911. As I was dialing he was like "you know the car is on fire, you might want to back away" though he was still getting things out of the front seat. We did both back off as the flames starting to pop out from under the hood. Pretty soon the windows went out which sounded like two gunshots. The first one popping startled me though I then saw the second one go and realized it was just the glass and not the car blowing up or anything. Other people had already called, though they'd kept their distance from the car, and pretty soon a couple highway patrol cars showed up and then two fire engines, an ambulance, the local fire chief in and SUV, and more cop cars.

I left once the guy's wife showed up (the cops didn't want me to give a statement, though I hadn't seen the actual crash myself; apparently it was with a truck that left the scene) but by then I noticed that my phone was sticky cause the guy's hand was bleeding. I don't think he himself noticed at first. Anyway, there was a rest stop less than a mile ahead, so I went there to wash the blood of my phone and my hand. However, they didn't have any paper towels in the bathrooms. I wasn't necessarily thinking clearly cause I'd had a splitting headache even before any of the crash stuff, but I vaguely recalled that some of the Samsung Galaxy phones were water resistant so I just ran it under the water for and then dried it off in in the airblade drier. Well ... Laughing turns out that the Galaxy S5 was water resistant but they removed that feature from the S6. So anyway, my phone shut down on the drive back (which I noticed cause I had been using it to play music via Bluetooth) due to overheating. I was exhausted by the time I got back (it was like 2-3 am) but the next morning (at my step-mom's suggestion) I put it in a tupperware container filled with dry rice. This actually seems to have worked cause the phone seems pretty much functional now and will charge again, though I haven't tried doing anything too intensive with it that might cause overheating. But it seems that I won't have to get a new one, which is nice since this thing is less than a year old.

Anyway, I sometimes feel like I should stop and see if people are okay when I see them stopped on the side of the highway, but my excuse to myself was that there are any number of reasons why people might need to stop and that most people had cell phones anyway and I didn't want to be a busybody. I told myself that if I ever saw someone obviously in distress I'd stop for them even if I was in a hurry. I like to think I would have stopped even if I had a deadline to keep. Maybe everyone else who pulled over recognized from the amount of smoke that the car was burning under the hood (some bit of rubber or something had already fallen off the car and was burning amidst the grass of the median but I stomped it out) and had better self-preservation instincts than me, but it seemed wrong to me not to see if the guy was okay. What if he'd lost consciousness? I dunno. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt.

Not something you see everyday, at least not in the kind of life I lead. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Great story Eldo! I'm with you. I'd always stop if I thought I could help, but on the other hand if I felt that I'd be just another gawker I'd keep driving.

I once helped pull a woman out of a wreck when she apparently fell asleep crashed head-on into an overpass pier in the median at 60 mph. It was pretty ugly. She was still semiconcious, and my friend and I were debating about the risks of trying to muscle her out of the window, danger of fire vs danger of back-injury.

Fortunately the next vehicle that pulled up was a van driven by a sales rep for a fire suppression company. He was both a certified EMT and had several fire extinguishers in the van with him, so we happily stepped back and gave him charge of the scene. Together we were able to get the door pried open and get her out on the ground while supporting her. Then we stood by until the flashing lights showed up.  

Yeah, you gotta stop when that sh*t happens!Thumbs Up

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks Dave. Smile That's a good point ... I know you're not supposed to try to move people with certain injuries but yeah, fire kinda changes the calculus. Glad that guy came by in your case!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:25 am

Cell phones have changed everything. Unless I see clear signs of ongoing distress I won't stop anymore. Very good of you Eldo in this case to not only realize this was far beyond a cell phone situation, but to actually NOT be one of the hundreds who continued to whiz by.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:47 am

Theres hope for human kind when we can forget about ourselves in an instant & help someone else. I think maybe its because helping others has become so infrequent now that we arent used to it. Tho I feel we take Drs & nurses for granted. We assume that medical staff will wave a magic wand or that the police will cure all crime. It doesnt have to be big things. My dozy dog walks along happily, ears flapping,tail wagging then, all of a sudden BANG ! he hits the ground, flops completely out & refuses to move. He's either got grass ( the green sort Smile ) or a twig in his mouth & he looks at you with big doe-y eyes Smile Well, he did this one day & a lady in a car screeched to a stop, jumped out & offered to take us to the nearest vet as she thought Simi had taken a heart attack or something Smile But that was kindness, on her part.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Not so crabbit now! [2] - Page 14 13669783_297564497257878_1538207118470458249_n_zps5ft8wzc4

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next