halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 20 Empty Re: Books!

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:21 am

chris63 wrote:Why New Zealand Serves As The Magical Backdrop To ‘The Shannara Chronicles’

Because That Is Where They Filmed 'The Lord Of The Rings'
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 am

No kidding.
Derpy magazine.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 am

Just scoffing breakfast & noticed Blue that, one of the books in your post above Im starting to read now, surprised me !

Books! - Page 20 Lazy%20cats%20024_zpsgzi0zshp

Books! - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Been reading the debut novel by Andy Weir- The Martian- it reminds me very much of classic late 60's and 70's hard core scifi- but its also a very engaging read.
The premise is simple the first manned mission to mars goes wrong, leaving one crem-member behind dead- only he isn't, and he has to try to survive for as long as possible using only the resources left behind.
I'm only about a third of the way through but I am enjoying it and those with a scientific mind I am sure will appreciate the hard science underlining the whole thing.

There is also I discovered an audio book of it on youtube (but I've only listened to the first 15 minutes or so as I want to finish reading it myself first)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 pm

does anyone know anything about Edward Said? I have to do some work on orientalism but I wonder if he has been debunked these days.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:43 am

No I'm afraid I do not know who that person is.

On another note, I was sitting at my computer and, glancing over at my bookshelf, spotted a very clean and new-looking copy of Robyn Davidson's Tracks, a book which I had only read once back in 2007 or so for an english class. I picked it up and started reading it just now, and I am happy to report that I have changed enough since my first reading that I think I'm going to discover a whole new set of meanings in the book. My english teacher was very happy with the books story of self-discovery or at the very least unburdening of onesself, but I had never really understood what all of that was about.
Now, fortunately, I'm seeing what she meant, and it's quite an enjoyable read so far. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:49 am

http://the-ice-castle.tumblr.com/post/127965525882/rest-in-fucking-pieces-mr-darcy

slap laugh
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 am

That video is having one hell of a time loading for me for some reason.

I see it now, well played!  Cool

I always found that scene far more satisfying than the newer version, as Darcy is so very full of himself at the time. In the new one the director wussed out and had his Darcy actor sort of let slip the "inferiority of your birth" line. But here we have a true clashing of personalities. And, as always, the ridiculousness of our modern culture is pervasively applicable.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Colin Firth is the only truly satisfying Mr Darcy. Nod a true 18th gentleman wouldn't blubber like that first chap.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Anyone read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón? It sounds kind of interesting.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:27 pm

"Do you realize that all great literature is all about what a bummer it is to be a human being? Isn’t it such a relief to have somebody say that?"
— Kurt Vonnegut

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 am

‘Luck is my middle name’, said Rincewind, indistinctly. ‘Mind you, my first name is Bad.’ (”The Last Continent”)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:15 am

Books! - Page 20 04_terryp

As a natural follow up.. of sorts, I've kind of started going through the Terry Pratchett series. Which is harder than it sounds considering it has about 6 main storylines, and 8 sets of main characters.. if not more. It's a bit of a conundrum to figure out. They are real funny though, and while the single books themselves might be a bit up and down in quality they always feature Terry's unique take on the world. Reminds me a lot of the Goon Show, actually.

Anyway, enjoy. Razz
Books! - Page 20 56qMlHR

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:37 am

All of Terry Pratchetts books are worthy of anyones time for reading Very Happy Ive loved them all, the only one I havnt read is "Wee free men" I dont know why ? Ive just forgotten I think ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:28 pm

They're amazing. cheers And it's almost aerie how they continue the Python, Goon Show, British comedy tradition. I don't think he gets anywhere near enough credit for that, being a writer and not a comedian.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm on Equal Rites now. I think the Wizard one's are the one's I've enjoyed the most so far, (Unseen Academicals was great) although I haven't revisited any of the Watch one's yet as I've read all those before. (They are usually my favourites.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:29 pm

This is old news, and I think I may have posted about it before:

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/stephen-king-112263-hulu-director-cast-james-franco-1201467467/

bounce bounce bounce

Although as a Brit some of the cultural references were lost on me, I loved this book (compared to The Stand, the only other King I've read, the ending was much better), it's quite episodic so would work very well as a miniseries, Franco's a surprising (but good) choice.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:37 pm

And it's almost aerie how they continue the Python, Goon Show, British comedy tradition. I don't think he gets anywhere near enough credit for that, being a writer and not a comedian.- Blue

And very much in the tradition of Douglas Adams too and even Tom Stoppard and further back there are influences of Wodehouse too in the character humour and descriptions. Pratchett is very much in that long line of British satire and humour.

I always recommend reading them in order of publication.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:45 pm

My favs are the "Watch" stories with Vimes, Nobby Nobbs, Captain Carrott et al. What a name Fred Colon is Laughing I thank gawd that we had Terry Pratchett, his books are divine cheers

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:50 pm

I love the Watch books too. Nod But I will always have a soft spot for anything with Rincewind in it too, being the first main character he wrote for in Discworld.

But the Watch books are a good example of how the world of Discworld moves rather rapidly through its ages compared to our world- in the first Watch book its pretty much Dungeons and Dragons setting for a city, its all dank alleyways, cobbled streets and of course a dragon. By the later Watch books Ankh-Morpork is more a Victorian city, with a thriving press and the Clacks.
Over the course of Vimes later life the city goes from a medieval fantasy parody to a Victorian fantasy parody.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Couldn't agree more. cheers

What's actually quite fun about the later books is getting to see Vimes from a lot of different perspectives outside the Watch. He always comes across as a real hard ass. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Ive got a book called "where's my cow?" & its a small story book about "He man" Vimes going home to read his little boy a bedtime story, its quite sweet, shows the soft "i dont know what to do with kids" side of him Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Yeah, I think I've read that one. Very Happy He's a man of many parts, His Grace, The Duke of Ankh, His Excellency, The Ambassador of Ankh-Morpork, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Its the bedtime story Vimes reads to his kid every night- cant remember offhand which of the Watch stories it is, but it features in one as Vimes has to get home every day at the exact same time to read the book to his son (might be THUD).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:45 pm

“Well, the news has got around. The Duchess of Keepsake has invited us to a ball, Sir Henry and Lady Withering have invited us to a ball, and Lord and Lady Hangfinger have invited us to... yes, a ball."
"Well, that's a lot of..."
"Don't you dare, Sam.”
― Terry Pratchett, Snuff

*snort*

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next