halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 11 of 36 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 11 Empty Re: Books!

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Came across a book called William Shakespeare's Star Wars yesterday, opened it, read a few lines and then I had to buy it Very Happy Based on the little I read in the store it looked hilarious - I'll come back to this thread when I've read it. Picture below Smile

Books! - Page 11 9k=

Finally got the time to sit down and read his book yesterday, and I could barely put it down. It's a not a very big book, about 170-180 pages, but I read half of it without putting it down. Got completely lost in it Very Happy I had expected a parody written in the style of Shakespeare, but I wouldn't say it is a parody. It's a wonderful new take on Star Wars, written with nothing but respect for the film, and it's so skillfully and cleverly written that every page is a joy to read for one who has a certain love for languages. The author has also added something to the story that I think is brilliant, he sometimes lets the characters turn "aside" to show the reader what they're thinking. An example, Darth Vader's classic line:
Vader: I find thy lack of fate disturbing
Tarkin: - Cease!
No more of this! Good Vader, let him be.
Vader: As is thy will [Aside:] My point hath well been made
Upon his prideful, unbelieving throat

And, as befits any play, there are monologues, and these are just fantastic Very Happy I cannot recommend this book highly enough to my fellow forumshirelings, as many of you love Star Wars and all of you appreciate excellent writing. It's been a very long time since I've enjoyed a book like I enjoy this one, and I've already decided I'll order the other two. Get on it with and order the damn book Very Happy
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Og sounds cool Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Glad to hear your enjoyed it, Ringo. Very Happy It does sound pretty funny. I'll see about giving it a try myself. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Finished it today, absolutely loved it Very Happy  The Empire Striketh Back next! Can't wait to see how Yoda will be Laughing

Books! - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Recently finished 1984...whilst it was a very well written book (and certainly felt like a 'classic' in every sense of the word), I can't help but wonder why so many people list it as a favourite, a political satire with a very depressing ending and some rather dated stereotypes...sure it's good, but how is it fun? I remember having a similar reaction reading Animal Farm at school, maybe it's just my personal preferences (or my age) but George Orwell definitely seems more of a critics writer than an audiences author...

I also re read 'Colditz: The Full Story' (one of the inspirations for the TV series I believe) by Major Pat Reid (an ex P.O.W held at the camp), riveting, surprising and bleakly hillarious, one of the most interesting books on WW2 I've read.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Im still trudging thru "The End of Mr Y " Rolling Eyes

Books! - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 pm

malickfan wrote:Recently finished 1984...whilst it was a very well written book (and certainly felt like a 'classic' in every sense of the word), I can't help but wonder why so many people list it as a favourite, a  political satire with a very depressing ending and some rather dated stereotypes...sure it's good, but how is it fun? I remember having a similar reaction reading Animal Farm at school, maybe it's just my personal preferences (or my age) but George Orwell definitely seems more of a critics writer than an audiences author...

Anything as depressing as Orwell will be considered a classic.  Rolling Eyes   Another classic is a Confederacy of Dunces, which sounds like it would be rip-roaring fun but is oddly dreary; it takes a true literary tour de force to make New Orleans feel dreary.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:18 pm

1984 is one of my all time favourite books. I listen to the audio book of it at least once a month.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 pm

malickfan wrote:Recently finished 1984...whilst it was a very well written book (and certainly felt like a 'classic' in every sense of the word), I can't help but wonder why so many people list it as a favourite, a  political satire with a very depressing ending and some rather dated stereotypes...sure it's good, but how is it fun? I remember having a similar reaction reading Animal Farm at school, maybe it's just my personal preferences (or my age) but George Orwell definitely seems more of a critics writer than an audiences author...

I also re read 'Colditz: The Full Story' (one of the inspirations for the TV series I believe) by Major Pat Reid (an ex P.O.W held at the camp), riveting, surprising and bleakly hillarious, one of the most interesting books on WW2 I've read.

yeah 1984 is the cods liver of books. good for you but blah.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Granted its a political commentary dressed as a story but it still has some great and memorable scenes in it. Among my favourites are the opening passages- beautifully constructed. The scenes when he first goes to Mr Charrington's shop in the prole area. The scene where they meet in the middle of the rally and arrange a clandestine affair whilst prisoners of war are shot and hanged before them. The scene at their meeting in the woods- the descriptions there of her gestures I find very moving (in fact her entire character I like). When they finally get sprung- a terrifying scene tautly written and expertly delivered. And of course 'how many fingers am I holding up' and all the discussion that takes place during that interrogation, its horrific but thought provoking.
Its not one to cheer you up on a dark night but its still a great read imo.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Nod I read books to cheer me up. the more escapist the better
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Parts of 1984 cheer me up- the human spirit of Winston fighting against the Party. Julia's outright defiance and rejection that life has to be that way.
Overall its no more a downer really than LotR's whose ending from Mt Doom on always fills me with melancholy and a sense of loss and passing. It is afterall primarily about death in the end.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 am

I read a bit of the beginning of Sabriel (the first in the Old Kingdom or something books by Garth Nix) while I was babysitting at my brother's house.
Honestly the cover was better than the first chapter or two, but it had an interesting premise in its mixing of modernity and the magical past.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm

I haven't read it myself, but I guess some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.denofgeek.com/other/the-once-and-future-king/32415/the-once-and-future-king-dramatisation-coming-to-bbc-r4

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 pm

I had no idea Brian Sibley was still working in radio.

I never finished The Once and Future King, though it's always been on my list of books to return to. This project sounds really interesting.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I just finished the 1st edit of my own book. I found it really easy writing the 1st draft but going back and correcting all of my spelling and grammar has taken ages... it is so tedious.

I now really need to go through the whole thing again to pick out places where my writing is weak... which normally involves extended conversations of quick action scenarios where I run out of different ways to say things.

Then I need to actually make sure my character development works as I know there are things that have holes in or have 3/4 of the book talking about them and then forgotten when I pick up a new idea.

Need a professional to help!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Congrats, Lance! I recall hearing you talk about the novel before. I'm glad to hear you've made so much progress on it. Smile

And yeah, editing definitely isn't as fun.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

From a book I'm reading about.. err.. old books.  Razz

Books! - Page 11 0001310

“So far, we have established that the binding is seventeenth century. That doesn’t mean that the pages match this binding and not another. But let’s assume they do. As for the paper, it seems similar to other batches whose origin has been authenticated.”

“Right. The binding and paper are authentic. Let’s look at the text and illustrations.”

“Now, that’s more complicated. We can approach the typography from two different angles. One: we can assume that the book is authentic. The owner, however, denies this, and according to you he has ways of knowing. So authenticity is possible but not very probable. Let’s assume that it’s a forgery and work out the possibilities. On the one hand, the entire text might be a forgery, a fabrication, printed on paper dating from the time and bound using boards from the time. This is unlikely. Or, to be more precise, not very convincing. The cost of such a book would be enormous.... On the other hand, and this is reasonable, the forgery might have been made shortly after the first edition of the book. I mean that it was reprinted with alterations, disguised to resemble the first edition, some ten or twenty years after this date of 1666 that appears in the frontispiece. But to what end?”

“It was a banned book,” Pablo Ceniza pointed out.

“It’s possible,” agreed Corso. “Somebody who had access to the equipment—the plates and types—used by Aristide Torchia might have been able to print the book again.”The elder brother had picked up a pencil and was scribbling on the back of a printed sheet. “That would be one explanation,” he said. “But there are other alternatives that seem more plausible. Imagine, for instance, that most of the book’s pages are authentic but that some were missing, either torn out or lost, and that somebody replaced those missing pages using paper that dates from the time, good printing techniques, and a lot of patience. In that case, there are two further possibilities: one is that the added pages are reproductions of those from a complete copy. Another is that, in the absence of the original to reproduce or copy, the contents of the pages were invented.” The bookbinder showed Corso what he had been writing. “It would be a true case of forgery, as illustrated by this diagram.”

While Corso and Pablo were looking at the paper, Pedro again leafed through The Nine Doors.

“I am inclined to think,” he added after a moment, once he had their attention again, “that if some pages were interpolated, it was done either around the time of the original edition, or now, in our time. We can discount the time between the two, because such a perfect reproduction of an ancient work has become possible only very recently.”

Corso handed back the diagram and asked, “Imagine you were faced with a book that had pages missing. And you wanted to complete it using modern techniques. How would you go about it?”

The Ceniza brothers sighed deeply in unison, professionally relishing the prospect. They were now both staring intently at The Nine Doors.

“Let us suppose,” Pedro said, “that this hundred-and-sixty-eight-page book has page 100 missing. Pages 100 and 99, since one sheet has two sides. And we want to replace it. The trick is to locate a twin.”“A twin?”

“As we say in the trade,” said Pablo, “another complete copy.”

“Or at least a copy where the two pages we need to duplicate are intact. It would also be advisable to compare the twin with our incomplete copy, to see if the depths of the type impressions in the paper are different or if the letters have worn differently. As you know yourself, types were moveable then and could easily wear down or be damaged. So with manual printing, the first and last copy of the same print run could vary greatly. They might have crooked or broken letters, hold the ink differently, things like that. Examining such variations allows you to add or remove imperfections on an interpolated page so that the page matches the rest of the book. We would then proceed with photomechanical reproduction and produce a plastic pho-tolith. And from that we would obtain a polymer or a zinc.”

“A plate in relief,” said Corso, “made of resin or metal.”

“Exactly. However perfect the reproduction technique, we would never get the relief, the mark on paper typical of old printing methods that used inked wood or metal. So the entire page has to be reproduced using a moldable material—resin or metal. Such a plate creates very similar effects to printing with the kind of movable lead types used in 1666. We put the plate on the press and print the page manually, as was done four centuries ago ... using paper that dates from the same time, of course, or treated both before and after with artificial aging methods. The composition of the ink must be thoroughly researched. The page is treated with chemical agents so that it matches the other pages. And there you are, the crime is carried out.”

“But suppose the original sheet doesn’t exist. Suppose there’s no model from which to copy the two missing pages.”

The Ceniza brothers both smiled confidently.“That,” said Pedro, “makes it even more interesting.”

“Research and imagination,” added Pablo.

“And daring, of course, Mr. Corso. Suppose Pablo and I have that copy of The Nine Doors with pages missing. The other one hundred sixty-six pages provide us with a catalogue of all the letters and symbols used by the printer. We take samples until we have obtained an entire alphabet. We reproduce the alphabet on photographic paper, which is easier to handle, and then multiply each letter by the number of times it appears on the page. The ideal, the artistic flourish, would be to reproduce the types in molten lead, as ancient printers used to do. Unfortunately this is too complicated and expensive. We make do with modern techniques. We divide up the letters with a blade into loose types, and Pablo, who has a steadier hand, composes the two pages on a template, line by line, just as a compositor would have done in the seventeenth century. From that we produce another proof on paper and eliminate any joins or imperfections in the letters, or we add faults similar to those found in the letters of the original text. Then all we need do is make a negative. From the negative you get a reproduction in relief, and there you have your printing plate.”

“What if the missing pages are illustrations?” “It makes no difference. If we had access to the original engraving, of course, the technique for making a copy would be easier. In this case, the fact that the engravings are all woodcuts, which have lighter lines than copperplate or dry-point, means that we can produce an almost perfect piece of work.”

“Suppose the original engraving no longer exists.” “That’s not a problem either. If we know of it-from references, we can imitate it. If not, we can invent it. After studying the technique used for the book’s other engravings, of course. Any good draftsman could do it.” “What about printing it?”

“As you know, a woodcut is an engraving in relief. A cube of wood is cut with the grain and covered with a white background. The picture is drawn on top. Then the wood is carved and the ink applied on the crests, or ridges, so that it can be transferred onto paper. When reproducing woodcuts, there are two options. One is to make a copy of the drawing, preferably in resin. The alternative, if you have a good engraver, is to make another real woodcut, with the same techniques that were used to produce the original engravings, and to print directly from that. In my case, as I have a good engraver in my brother, I would hand print it from a woodcut. Wherever possible, art should imitate art.”

“You get better results,” added Pablo.

Corso looked at him conspiratorially.

“As with the Sorbonne’s Speculum,”

“Maybe. The creator or creators of that piece of work may have thought like us.... Don’t you think, Pablo?”

“They must have been romantics,” agreed his brother with a faint smile.

“Yes, they must.” Corso pointed at the book. “So, what’s your verdict?”

“I would say that it’s original,” answered Pedro Ceniza without hesitation. “Even we wouldn’t be able to produce such perfect results. Look, the quality of the paper, stains on the pages, identical tones and variations in the ink, and the typography... It’s possible that some forged pages may have been inserted, but I think it improbable. If it is a forgery, the only explanation is that the forgery must have been done around the same time. How many known copies are there? Three? I assume you have considered the possibility that all three are forgeries.”

“Yes, I have. What about the woodcuts?”

“They’re definitely very strange. All those symbols ... But they do date from the time. The degree of impression on the plates is identical. The ink, the shades of the paper... Maybe the key lies not in how or when they were printed but in their contents. I’m sorry we haven’t made much progress.”

“You’re wrong.” Corso prepared to close the book. “We’ve made a lot of progress.”

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Anyone read The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson? Reading A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time series kind of got me interested in trying another of the long fantasy ones, and that seems to be the one everyone is talking about.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:50 pm

I've heard a fair bit about it, but it doesn't really sound like my cup of tea. I might give it a try eventually, but dipping my toes into both The Kingkiller Chronicle and The Stormlight Archive kind of soured me on reading fantasy that has lots of people raving about it. :/

Interesting perspective on Malazan here from a guy who's pretty deep into ASOIAF fandom: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2008/10/confounding-nature-of-malazan-series.html
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 am

Eldorion wrote:I never finished The Once and Future King, though it's always been on my list of books to return to.  This project sounds really interesting.

The Once and Future King is worth the read, Eldo, but it can be hard going.  I prefer the original Sword in the Stone to the revised (adultified) version in the single volume OaFK though. It reminds me of Tolkien trying to adultify The Hobbit - though both versions of The Sword in the Stone work in their own way.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 am

Eldorion wrote:I've heard a fair bit about it, but it doesn't really sound like my cup of tea.  I might give it a try eventually, but dipping my toes into both The Kingkiller Chronicle and The Stormlight Archive kind of soured me on reading fantasy that has lots of people raving about it. :/

Interesting perspective on Malazan here from a guy who's pretty deep into ASOIAF fandom: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2008/10/confounding-nature-of-malazan-series.html

Ah, thank you for the feedback.

I'd be interested to hear what you've heard and why you think it not your cup of tea if you feel like elaborating, but that was perhaps partly what the link was meant to illustrate. I have started it, but so far I'm not really sure what either the story, point or direction of it is. Which is a bit daunting when you're about to get into a 9 book series. So, I'll see. If it doesn't grip me perhaps it isn't my cup of tea either, or this just isn't the right time for me to read it.

You know, I would have recommended The Wheel of Time series for you, if you were looking for an epic high fantasy series, if it was just a bit less of a mess in how it was presented. Razz As I'm getting a bit more familiar with these other epic high fantasy series, that seems to be the one to rival A Song of Ice and Fire in scope and vision. And then I mean coherent scope and vision. While the series itself might not be all that coherent.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Yeah, Wheel of Time is probably the most successful post-Tolkien epic fantasy series, or rather, it was until Game of Thrones the TV show took off.  (This also assumes you don't count HP as an epic.)  I know a lot of people who have read it, but the length and the later-volume decline have combined to make me not consider it worth the investment of time, at least not at this point.  But it did finally finish, so who knows, maybe I'll give it a try some day. Razz

Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun looks altogether more interesting to me than most of the big-name epics, though, and I quite enjoyed the bit of it that I've read.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Perhaps if Robert Jordan had finished it... Brandon Sanderson, from The Stormlight Archive, does a decent job of finishing it, but it doesn't really live up to the kind of ending the series merited and needed.

My biggest problem with the series is the whole good/evil dynamic, and because, while the story is leading to an inevitable victory for good, you still have to put some nerve, a sense of danger and something being at stake into procedings, you need to make every skirmish, battle and confrontation important. And when the skirmish, battle or confrontation is important, in as the situation being dangerous and something important being at stake, good needs to win or the chance of a final victory is lost. So, the side of good wins almost inevitably every time there's a confrontation. There are some setbacks, but they seem more cosmetic to me.

That's what so refreshing about A Song of Ice and Fire to me, the whole good and evil struggle is internal in the characters involved. There's no real evil, and there's no real good. The fight between good and evil takes place in the human heart, as George likes to say.

He dragged fantasy from myth to history, I would say. Though there might very well be others who have done the same.

Haha. I actually meant to make a longish post about this stuff a little while ago, but never got around to it. It's a bit far back in the mind now, so I'll have to see if I ever get around to it.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:21 pm

All this talk about epic fantasy reminded me of this pretty epic rant by Harlan Ellison. Very Happy

I'll put this simply. If J.R.R.-freakin'-Tolkien could wrap up the first, biggest, and best epic ever in three books, no one else has ANY excuse to do otherwise. I recognize that a lot of authors have a lot of their time and energy invested in their pet worlds, and I also recognize that books about those worlds are often in demand by their fans. I recognize that as a rationalization, not an excuse.

I don't really mind if the scope of your universe is big enough to fit a non-linear and widely variant body of work. Niven's Known Space, Heinlein's Future History, Fiest's Midkemia, these are all pretty large and well-populated universes with a wide range of possibilities. They are all places I don't mind coming back to and visiting from time to time with just enough continuity and familiarity to set the mood. It's these long-running series of books that are either purely or damn-near linear and use largely the same (ever expanding) character set that set me to sneering like Elvis.

Why? You get suckered in, you buy the first couple of books and they look good and you have no idea that the author is never going to stop, never, not even if he has a major stroke and has to type out the next four 700-page installments with his tongue. Meanwhile, you're waiting 6 to 18 months for the next book depending on how big a hack you've chosen and after a while you've forgotten why you gave a shit about any of the heroes or villians. Forget term limits for politicians, what about term limits for a series?

Mr. Jordan, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your series is getting so damn long it's approaching the level of a racial memory. The last couple were a few hundred pages of people walking from place to place looking confused sandwiched in between two fifty page chunks of stuff actually HAPPENING. It's like watching four sloths trying to complete the Eco Challenge. You've got more major characters than most of the remaining readers have brain cells, there's so much plot and character mixing that people are writing books just to keep up with it and folks are arguing on Usenet about just who is who instead of talking about the plot. Can you please, please, wrap things up a bit before the Wheel of Time rolls over whatever patience I have left?

Mssrs. Anthony and DeChancie, the first few books were very cute and we're oh-so grateful. Really, we are. However, you've been hitting that same note so often that the lobe of your brain that is generating it must look like Dizzy Gillespie's cheeks by now. I know you've tried other things, but you keep going back to that one cash cow like Steve Cone going back into rehab. No one's paying any attention any more, they're just buying the books out of habit and the words are going through them like a mexican omelette.

Ms. Lackey, there's so many sequels and prequels out there that I can't even keep track of who's gay anymore. Mr. Perry - we get the idea, they're all fucking badasses, can we move on now? Mr. Pratchett, you just keep on going - I'd love to chide you but you're so goddamn entertaining I can't help myself. Mr. Foster, you are to be applauded for realizing you are NOT Mr. Pratchett and never will be and lending your talents to a greater diversity of projects.

The rest of you, you know who you are. Publish and be damned.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 36 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 36  Next