halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lorient Avandi
27 posters

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

Go down

Books! - Page 5 Empty Re: Books!

Post by bungobaggins Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Hmm, this Foundation series sounds interesting. I'll give it a look over. Having second thoughts on Wheel of Time now. Shrugging

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

One of the virtues of the Foundation series is it's so easy to read. You could make it through the original trilogy in a couple weeks. After that he returned decades later when his publisher first leaned on him for years, then when gentle pressure didn't work forced his hand by sending him a hefty advance on a book. He got a call from his agent saying "and when we say 'book' we mean 'science fiction book', and nothing else. And when we say 'science fiction book' we mean 'Foundation book' and nothing else."

Foundation's Edge was pretty good. Foundation and Earth wasn't terrible. Prelude to Foundation was an embarrassment. But the trilogy and that first sequel are worth reading.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 pm

I enjoyed Pohls Heechi books, but in particular Gateway. The whole concept gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Wheel of Time, that brings back some memories. I read those books a long time ago. Though I only got to around book 6 or 7, which was before the story apparently come to a bit of a standstill. From what I read I would recomend it, the first couple of books are very good at least from my memory.

I had a friend who was a much bigger fan of that series than me, to the degree that his go to swearword for women who weren't nice to him would be to call them Aes Sedai.  Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:He's said he'll write seven books, though, hasn't he? I hope he sticks to that, considering the pace at which he writes these books pale

He has, although the original plan was for it be a trilogy.  He has since upped the planned number of books to four, six, and the current seven.  The original planned first book eventually became the first three volumes of the series that were actually published.

Strangely Robert Jordan of all people had this to say about that.

I look forward to seeing the next book and future books in the cycle. I see in "Locus" that George says he no longer think he can finish the story in a triology. Good. Not that his story will be longer, but that he isn't going to try shoe-horning his story into the form everybody semms to say such stories must folow. Writing what you want to write, in the way you want to write it, isn't easy when lots of people are telling you that you can't do it that waybecause it isn't done that way. he apparently is as lucky as I am in having a publisher and editor who is willing to go against the flow.
http://thewertzone.blogspot.no/2013/07/robert-jordan-bigging-up-game-of.html

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm

"Going against the flow."

Books! - Page 5 XcQ2uaD
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

As for the misgivings about how many books George will take to finish his series, I think a lot of it is down to how the fourth book turned out.

He originally intended it to be one book, when finding it was becoming far to long he released a first part featuring some of the view point characters as A Feast for Crows, announcing that the next part would be along in a year. In the end he kept writing after finishing the story of the other viewpoint characters and the next book, A Dance with Dragons, ended up taking six years, adding an additional 500 pages.

So people can be forgiven for having some misgivings, I guess.

He talks about it here:

"I would take the little one page thing at the end of Feast for Crows where I say the next book will be out in a year," he says. "That one has gotten me into no end of trouble."

"I can write 500 pages in a year, I've done it before, of course the book ended up needing another 1000 pages, not 500," he says, though 500 pages is for a "good year," not every year.

"I am unfortunately a slow writer... under delusions I can be a faster writer under certain circumstances."
http://huff.to/GY52GM

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Eldorion wrote:"Going against the flow."

Books! - Page 5 XcQ2uaD

Yeah, I guess as long as the books keep selling the publishers wont grumble.  Razz 

Though there's probably some truth in what he says about what was expected of fantasy writers. And maybe some answer to the reason the two of them floated to the top?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah, it is kinda weird just how many books (and movies) end up turning into trilogies. Though in the realm of movies, at least, that seems to be changing as Harry Potter proved people would be willing to keep showing up for additional sequels so long as they didn't totally shit the bed. It may well be that it's length helped distinguish Wheel of Time back in the day.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

I was more refering to the "writing what you want to write, in the way you want to write it" part. Razz  Though I guess it has both that and lenght, it's certainly a monumental work. And the fate of Robert and his series is, I guess, a lot of the reason behind people willing George to finish his series sooner rather than later.

They seemed to be quite close. George wrote a rather heartfelt tribute to him on his blog when he died.

The world of high fantasy is poorer today.

James Rigney, better known to fantasy readers as Robert Jordan, has passed away. Although he had been fighting amyloidosis for several years, the news of his death still came as a shock to many, including me. He was so optimistic and determined that you had to think that if anyone could beat the disease, it would be him.

Jim was a good and gracious man, a pleasure to share a platform or a pint with, and his contributions to modern fantasy were many. His huge, ambitious WHEEL OF TIME series helped to redefine the genre, and opened many doors for the writers who followed.

He was also unfailingly generous towards other fantasists, always ready to offer them support and encouragement. My own ICE & FIRE series might never have found its audience without the cover quote that Jim was so kind as to provide, back when A GAME OF THRONES was first published. I will always be grateful to him for that.

The last time I saw Jim was at an Archon in Collinsville, Illinois. It was before his final illness. He was the convention Guest of Honor and I was the Toastmaster, and I introduced him by telling the audience that actually we were the same person. It was a gag that Jim himself had suggested in the Green Room beforehand. While I was doing the intro, and claiming credit for all his books, he slowly entered, walked up silently behind me, and stood looming over me, glowering like Zeus. We got a great laugh.

I had some great dinners with Jim and his wife Harriet there in Collinsville as well. We talked about other writers, editors, publishers, all the stuff that writers always talk about... oh, and a little about our own series as well... and Jim and Harriet invited me to visit them if I ever made it down to Charleston. Sad to say, I never did.

RIP, Jim. You will be much missed.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/21250.html

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Here's my shortlist for possible reading:

Foundation Series
Dune
House of Cards
The October Country

Right now I'm leaning towards The October Country, mostly because it's a series of short stories and I'm not feeling like I can get into a long series at the moment (I also really like Ray Bradbury). The second book in the House of Cards trilogy, To Play the King, is coming to Kindle in the summer. So I think I'll pick those up then.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:49 pm

ok heres a poser. of any book or series in the world, which would you guys like to see made into a big budget film. please dont say The Hobbit. Thats a given.

my choice would be either Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman or The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper (its a series of 5 books)

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:please dont say The Hobbit.

The Hobbit.

Razz

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Serious answer: The Dark Tower series. I really don't think I can bring myself to finish the books. Been stuck at half way through for a few years now.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Mad to the hobbit answer,
 Shocked  dark tower, never heard of it, will go to wiki and check it out.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Trollface 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Mad  Oi! stop typing so quick
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Ringworld.

(nothing to do with Lord of the Rings)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Mad  Oi! stop typing so quick

Books! - Page 5 XfNU6

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:02 pm

blinkin piana fingers  Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 pm

halfwise wrote:Ringworld.

Ringworm ?

Books! - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Books! - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

"Little Grey Men" by BB

Books! - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 pm

azriel wrote:
halfwise wrote:Ringworld.

Ringworm ?

Nope, one of the classic science fiction works by Larry Niven. The only writing more dense with cool ideas is Hitchhiker's Guide.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:30 pm

I enjoyed Ringworld quite a bit. I also read The Ringworld Engineers but don't recall that one as clearly.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 pm

I was playing Halfy  Razz But, your right, it would make for a very interesting film !

Books! - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next