A message for Bree-landers

+2
Ally
Eldorion
6 posters

Go down

A message for Bree-landers Empty A message for Bree-landers

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:19 pm

I posted this on Bree, but in case any of you don't see it there...

It's not news about The Hobbit, but rather about this website and forum.

https://flippa.com/2717283-the-hobbit-movie-com

I am selling the domain the-hobbit-movie.com, website, twitter and Facebook fan page which has 45,000 members and growing.
The site has the number one keyword position for all related search terms, including:
- the hobbit
- the hobbit movie
- the hobitt movie news
- hobbitt movie
- hobbit movie news
- hobbit movie forum

... and more.
The site is growing exponentially as excitement increases around the production of the Hobbit movies.
I'm using Escrow as the payment method and I expect the buyer to cover all Escrow service costs for the transfer.

I just noticed this but I looked around and it appears to be legit. Planet-Tolkien is the current owner, or was, since the sale ended 12 days ago. I just stumbled upon that page via an Google a few moments ago. After a bit more poking around, I was unable to find any reference to the sale of the site on the main blog, the accompanying Facebook page, or on Planet-Tolkien's website.

However, that fits with the owner of Planet-Tolkien's pattern of not telling the members of his forums about stuff happening to the site. I checked out the PT profile page on that site (you have to register to do so but it's free) and it has records of similar transactions, including the sale or re-sale of the main PT site, an event that has been related to us at Forumshire by PT moderators. With this in mind, I think the listing is legitimate.

I think everyone who contributes here deserves to the know that the site may have been sold (again), so I figured I'd share this. I don't know if there's anything to do, or even if this will have an impact on the day-to-day operation of the site, but I wanted to get the knowledge out there. Make of it what you will. Smile

EDIT: Slight clarification, when Taz sold PT in 2005 he did so on eBay. The transaction records on Flippa.com appear to be an unsuccessful attempt at re-selling the site in early 2010. I don't know if he told anyone on PT about that (Amarie would probably know the answer). Taz seems to have little luck selling anything on this site, and he's tried selling sites other than THM and PT.

Last edited by Eldorion on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

A message for Bree-landers Empty Re: A message for Bree-landers

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Doing a bit more poking around on the website-selling site, it appears that the admin tried to sell this website 10 months ago, but seems to have been unsuccessful in finding a buyer. With that in mind, it appears to be the case that the current sale didn't find a buyer either and the site was not actually sold. If history is any guide, however, he'll likely try again.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Probably a good business move to sell it now mind. Even ad monetization only brings in that much. I however would wait until after the first movie and then you can sell it for a tidy profit with (hopefully) massive anticipation for the final movie. I think you'd get the best price for it then. Maybe he needs the money now though.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Interesting find though Eldo.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for the information Eldo, coming from Bree its a bit worrying, I dont travel over much these days but I would hate the gates of Bree to close forever as I have fond memories and thats how I met you weird lot. Very Happy keep us informed if you can. thanks. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I haven't been back there for ages. But do you log in to bree land through a planet-tolkien account? cause when one couldn't log in via facebook anymore I didn't really see the point anymore. BUT I just remembered that I actually have a PT account. I'm Geliriel if anyone wants to know. Please add me Smile dunno if I'll be as active there as I am here, but I thought that I should give it another go and look it up. Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 pm

sodd it, I made an account at breeland :S
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 am

Bree free from the Dark Planet. Life imitating art, Eldo? Cool

I haven't heard anything about selling Bree, so I don't know if he is just testing the water or not. Bree and PT are kept separate, I don't think there's even a link from Bree to PT, but there is one from PT to Bree.

IIRC, Taz advertised and was mentioned here and there when he put PT for sale. He kept us (the council) updated and he chose the buyer which he felt sounded best suited to take us in. And Ant was a good fellow, he had the best intentions.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:38 pm

It's kind of scary if the needlehole mysteries starts coming through. A bit like the "the geek interpreter" Smile http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/16june
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 pm

I sometimes wake in a sweat thinking about my Exile. I lie awake in the dark wondering if I will ever be allowed back. Though my crimes were of the worst kind.... that I know... :facepalm:

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:10 pm

exil? from Bree? Orwell, what have you done? Shocked
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I think Orwell is talking about the Dark Planet not Bree, but it was before my time so I dont know what happened in those dark days. The rumours are pretty scary though. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down