chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by David H Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm

We'd see that pretty regularly on a smaller scale in Alaska. At the end of the salmon season, many 60 foot commercial seine boats would find that the cost of shipping the boat south on a freight barge was about the same as the fuel cost to motor it, and the crewing costs went away. The economics are clear.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:18 pm

And yet it's almost Star Warish in scale. Actually makes me think of the opening discussions in Dune (book, not movie).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 pm

halfwise wrote:And yet it's almost Star Warish in scale.  Actually makes me think of the opening discussions in Dune (book, not movie).
Why is it I read The Silmarillion aged 16 and got it completely the first time round, but Dune had me lost on the first two pages just a few months back...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:34 am

A friend recommended Dune to me, highly recommended it, but I just could not get past the opening section either.
It was a ridiculous lot of concepts and names seemingly with little context to pin anything to, I found it impenetrable.
But my friend kept saying how brilliant it was, and I trusted his judgement and on about the fourth attempt I got passed that opening, and then something just clicked and boy was it worth the persevering.

Keep at it Malick, it really is worth the effort of fighting on through that opening.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 am

David H wrote:We'd see that pretty regularly on a smaller scale in Alaska.  At the end of the salmon season, many 60 foot commercial seine boats would find that the cost of shipping the boat south on a freight barge was about the same as the fuel cost to motor it, and the crewing costs went away.  The economics are clear.
That actually makes sense to me. I assume there must be some sort of scaffolding on there, though, otherwise the boats at the bottom of the pile wouldn't survive the trip in one piece (would they?).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 am

Eldorion wrote:So what happens if you have a ship on one side of an ocean and you want to it get to the other side?  Do you sail it?  NOPE.  Load it on a bigger ship.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 6o9YJMf
Holy ship shit!

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 Pile_of_shit

*ship
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Eldorion wrote:I assume there must be some sort of scaffolding on there, though, otherwise the boats at the bottom of the pile wouldn't survive the trip in one piece (would they?).
I'd guess not. Remember that a cargo vessel such as these is engineered to carry many times its own weight through much more stress than these empty hulls will experience.

Just picture one of these ships with a high deckload of loaded shipping containers plunging through huge seas and hurricane force winds as they'll routinely do once they're put to work. The shock loading, torques and torsions are unbelievable. By comparison this would be rather like stacking empty shoe boxes.

I'm sure they're secured well to prevent shifting however. If nothing else it would be really embarrassing if a whole barge full of ships capsized at once!Shocked 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Dave, how goes the harvest (which obviously just my polite way of saying when will you get back to the Who thread!)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Almost done. We're expecting to finish up by this weekend if weather holds.

Who is on the list, but it'll have to take it's place in the queue with a hundred other things that have piled up in the mean time.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Piled up ahead of Who! Evil or Very Mad 

(You've only a month to go to get up to date in time to catch the 50th!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. That actually makes a fair bit of sense. Just goes to show what I know about boats (er, ships Razz).

Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:45 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 PIA17172

+michael interbartolo shares this stunning image of Saturn provided by NASA's Cassini spacecraft. With the sun's rays eclipsed by Saturn, Cassini's on board cameras were able to acquire a panoramic mosaic of the Saturn system. Cassini was able to capture 323 images in just over 4 hours on July 19, but it took Cassini's imaging team several months to create this mosaic from 141 of those wide-angle images.

Learn more about the Cassini Solstice mission at http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:41 am

Now THAT'S a cool eclipse! Metal 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:32 am

Stunning- and the truly humbling bit is when you spot earth in that picture.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

which ones Earth?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:43 pm

I cant tell on that pic- the BBC site had it highlighted and it was just to the bottom right of the planet- but this looks different- not sure if that pics reversed scratch 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:47 pm

you do get the empty vastness of Space thing in that photo though, have you seen Gravity yet?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:49 pm

No, it hasnt made it to my small town cinema yet. Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 26 BDWkBFL
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 am

There's always the question whether you should use 'had had' versus 'had'.  
I remember writing a sentence where I had had 'had'; 'had had' had had the correct meaning.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 am

I suppose "had had" can be kind of redundant, but I think it conveys a more precise meaning in certain circumstances.  I've never been great with grammar though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:29 am

I think it's called past perfect: indicating something that was brought to completion in the past, before something else happened.

I had a cat before I got a dog.
I had had a cat before I got a dog.

The second indicates the ownership of the cat was completed before the dog arrived. On the other hand, it could also indicate emphasis: if someone doubts that you owned the cat, you might say "I HAD had a cat..."

It's actually really subtle and complicated to understand when you'd use 'had' versus 'had had' versuse 'have had'....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:47 am

This is exactly why the crash course in English only teaches present perfect. No subtleties, no irregularities. "I am having a cat before I am having a dog." No subtle causalities, but close enough to communicate the idea.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next