azriel
Amarië
Mrs Figg
12 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 26 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Why do the critics like it so much more than the public? That's pretty rare, and must mean something but I can't suss it out.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

{{Few reasons there Halfy, but main one is if you look at the critics reviews the vast majority of them only review the first 1-3 episodes of the series and the scores are based off that. The first episode in particular gets a decent score as everyone wants to see the new Doctor and its an ok episode, nothing spectacular but its ok.
Another reason is its the first female Doctor, many of the critic s reviews are people who confess in the review to not being fans of the show or not having watched it before but are now because of its new female angle and politics, and there is a reluctance on the part of many critics to be seen to be saying bad things about the first female Doctor.
If you look at the Audience Appreciation Index (AI) scores which the BBC track you can see that the real disparity between show and audience sets in about the middway point, with Tsundgra Conundrum (which Chibbers wrote himself) and ends at the lowest AI for a finale in NuWho.
Series 11's politics are front and centre, so whilst you can take a few episodes of it, by episode 10 its just been hammered in over and over to the point of bland tedium and the stories that they created to support the messaging are not strong enough or well enough written to stand on their own.  }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:53 am

{{{  Laughing }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

lol!

All New Who - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 pm

I realized I probably should care a bit about when Who is on?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{  Laughing }}

Laughing Nice!

Is he the official Dalek voice or just damn good at it?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:37 pm

{{He is just very good at it!
Nicholas Briggs is the man behind the Dalek voices-

New Years Special is on at 7pm GMT }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:42 pm

He just has the right software and accent. The video is great though!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 pm

On the bright side, the female Dalek
Spoiler:
I dunno... Finrod put it best a few days ago. I said there was one last episode before a long a break, and he said. "Hm. Hope they get someone who can write."

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 pm

ok I had wifi for a bit and watched the New Year special. Rolling Eyes

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{This is not good, I mean series 11 isn't worth much more than this, but not good for the show at all. The New Years episode is going to have be very good to repair some of this damage!}}

All New Who - Page 26 121

it wasn't.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 pm

This is why I get dumped on from a great height, I never learn. I never learn to keep my word & not watch Dr Who EVER again, but, I did tonight. What a wally ! Again, more boring dross about abandoned son, absent father, oh yaaaaaaaawn ! The most terrifying, the most evil, the most.....it will never stop until it destroys or rules everything......creature in the universe ??? I fear my cat on a bad day more than that. Oh God why have you forsaken me ! I had to stab myself with a fork to get the tears moving, it was Sooooo bad ! The world doesnt need spoilers. Do you want your youth plagued by people being kind to you by using spoilers ? Not with this dross you don't ! If I told you all of this episode in every language on the planet Id be doing you a mental kindness so that you may grow up rational & caring. What has improved ? only my ability to hit the remote button. Shame I didn't use it. I think I was shell shocked & to think Mr Chibnall had the sense of humour to list his name, his real name, to the credits ! you have to admire him for that !
"So Mr Chibnall, in what style of genre do you attribute yourself to ?" "In which category would you say are your main strengths ? "
Ive heard drunks staggering down the street with more imagination !! What a Panto Dr Who has turned into ! Im off to bed I will sulk no more.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 am

Quality rant! I can't see it til tomorrow I think, so we'll see how I react.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:39 am

{{{ I take my hat off to your crabbit rant Azriel Id almost mistake you for a native Nod

{{Spoiler filled first thought review.

Spoiler:
}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 am

Brilliant write up Petty. You did what I could not, & that's rationalize this dire episode.

"Its hard to accept that a fully paid writer is allowed to give us such sub standard work on a traditional, well loved TV series. He seems to forget the longevity of this show. Its older than many people watching it. Its endured thru good times & bad. It has a loyal & sturdy fan following but, Chibnall forgets his audience & throws insult after insult in their faces. Me included. I remember as a child hiding behind my mum's back & wrapping cushions around me out of sheer fear of the Daleks. I havent lost my fear because I am an adult, adults still can be scared, Ive lost it due to sloppy & ungrateful writting.  I expect a finer quality of programne than this ! Im quite proud of Dr Who & happily smile about it to my grandchildren. I wouldnt endorse this if I was offered a years supply of free shopping.  You highlighted things I noticed also. I dont believe someone would readily go up to something that looked like an octopus & that appeared to be growing, stuck on a wall in front of them when moments earlier it wasnt there. You can see her asistant lurking in the back waiting for someone to say  " and cue wotshisname"  she would have called him over to see what she sees. I cant swallow that ridiculus story about 9th century peasants defeating a Dalek !! Even a battle weary warrior with high swordsmanship would be no match for such a killing machine. And the 3 segments ?  yeah, they were buried deeply werent they !  wrapped in rags, Mmm, thats secure ! And Where did the rockets that flew out from the Dalek come from, on a farm ?? Why did the farmer talk to the policewoman like shit ?  He saw her uniform, saw the car, you dont open conversation by speaking to coppers like that ?  And going on about shutting agencies down due to lack of funds &  getting kids off mobiles is the worst gags ever ! absolutely NO imagination there.  " oh daddy take my hand" is like some cheesy pop song. Fingers touch & all is forgiven, yuk, puke ! I was waiting for daddys end ! that creature would easily have pulled human thru Tardis doors & quite happily be scorched to a kebab but no, we had to endure something out of character for a Dalek & a heart string tug over parental guidence for the Christmas period. I cant find one redeeming feature in this. I was insulted by a man who obviously not watched or seen Dr Who as long as I have & is happy to insult my mind now because obviously I am now geriatric & senile, so it wont matter. The inside of the Tardis is a mess !  It hasnt progressed its degenerated. This episode above all has left me feeling sick to the pit of my stomach. An immature "newbie" didnt carve up the Dalek & bury it, he did it to Dr who."

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:24 am

I'm just part-way through it now. Just had to pop in and say that somebody's into tentacle pron, lol.

Ah man, and missed a golden opportunity to use, "Acc-el-ER-ATE!!!"

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I'm just part-way through it now. Just had to pop in and say that somebody's into tentacle pron, lol.

Ah man, and missed a golden opportunity to use, "Acc-el-ER-ATE!!!"

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 pm

It was really really crap. Ryan and his dad/grandad problems are seriously boring me. When she said "extended fam" I nearly punched my pc. and talking of pc, that gay dude Rolling Eyes what subtle stereotyping.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I nearly choked on my co-ops own brand chocolate seashells when she told the Dalek she had the best team in all the world on her side !! You what ?? They look like they are waiting for a bus, & its late, & they don't know what to do.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:20 pm

azriel wrote:I nearly choked on my co-ops own brand chocolate seashells when she told the Dalek she had the best team in all the world on her side !! You what ?? They look like they are waiting for a bus, & its late, & they don't know what to do.

Laughing one of the most cutting critiques in this whole thread!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you Halfy :hug:

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:09 pm

{{Agreed Halfy- your crabbit is on point Azriel Twisted Evil

Well Chibbers has a new Who record to add to his growing list- worst overnight audience for a Who special ever- at 5.1 million, more folk watched Emmerdale  Mad  }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I watched Luther after Dr Who and that was good. if a bit icky and never getting on a bus again. ever. I nearly shat my pants.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 pm

{{Haven't seen Luther yet but did hear some complaints it was verging on torture porn pale

A thought occurred to me about the deaths in this one- I was trying to figure out if there is any possible reason that the Dalek would not kill the woman it was controlling once she was let go- it makes no sense at all. The Dalek would have snapped her in two before leaving her just to prove its the superior lifeform- its a  Dalek, exterminating other life forms for not being Dalek is what they do.
And then it occurred to me that there are in fact no civilian deaths in this episode. None. Yet it has a high death toll as is normal for a Dalek episode, so who dies?
Police, security guards, government officials and members of the military, I wouldn't normally consider that too suspicious but we have the civilian who should have died, for whom there is no reason given why she is not killed, and they go out their way even though it makes no sense to not have her die. Why? Because she isn't associated with either government or big business?

Also like to raise a charge of sexist portrayal in this one- the one female who dies on camera- the female cop- first she is reading her newspaper whilst her partner is going to an unknown vehicle, in unknown circumstances after a reckless high-speed pursuit at over 100mph- this would never happen, no cop would be reading their newspaper in these circumstances. When she does eventually notice her partner being killed she leaps out the car, the Dalek gets out and she screams upon seeing it- cut to screeching tires as Dalek makes off with cop car leaving two dead cops behind.
Now would it not have been better had she not been incompetent, but been watching her partner, soon as he gets grabbed she leaps out the car, sees the Dalek- and instead of screaming like a woman from 70's Who she instinctively reaches for her baton and pepper spray - you know like she is trained to do in hostile circumstances-and squares up to the Dalek?- she'd still die but at least she'd have gone down with some respect and like a proper copper. Not as an incompetent bobby lacking in diligence who lets her partner get killed and screams when confronted. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Only 70s female cops were more Cagney and Lacey than screamy. But yeah the whole episode wallowed in cheap stereotypes.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum