Bluebottle
halfwise
20 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Star Wars [2] - Page 20 Empty Re: Star Wars [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Rey is a good exmaple- there is no internal reason why she is a good pilot-

I didn't buy it with a female. There is no explanation of her skills or why she has them. Or if having those skills we she scavenges for a living when she could easily make more money simpler a few miles away using the obvious skills she has.
Petty

I call you out for misogynistic statements like the ones above and you flounce off. so be it.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:55 pm

His statement about not buying it with a female was a direct response to my saying people were more likely to buy her skills because she's female.  He was deliberately making a non-sexist statement....but you have to read what everyone says so you can put it in proper context - you are reading it completely backwards in fact. I should be offended that you are not reading and responding to my posts. Wink

Petty's responses have been the same to everyone.  No need to feel singled out, or to take offence.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I didn't misinterpret his statement.

Tell you what. Seeing as I am such a horrible nasty bully I will take a break instead of Petty. Please do return and continue your deconstruction of the first female Jedi, I am sure that whatever you say will be correct, I can hardly have anything useful or insightful to add to the debate anyway.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Crabbit review of Force Awakens- part 2

Spoiler:
Agreed on all counts and many points are ones that occurred to me as well. Things happen in the plot solely to move the plot along. They don't grow organically from the circumstances.

Last edited by Radaghast on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Star Wars [2] - Page 20 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:22 pm

To Figgy:

halfwise wrote:I think Rey got away with implausible skills because it was unexpected - it was kinda cute to have a young girl bitch slap a storm trooper around and jury rig the Falcon.  If it had been your typical twenty-something male hero with the same background I don't think the audience would have bought it.

NEXT FRAME:

I didn't buy it with a female. There is no explanation of her skills or why she has them. Or if having those skills we she scavenges for a living when she could easily make more money simpler a few miles away using the obvious skills she has.

Direct response to my statement that people are more likely to buy her skills because she's female.  You have misrepresented Petty's statements of saying {her being female didn't influence his views on her skill} into saying {he didn't believe her skills because she's female}.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

halfwise wrote:If you think of it as comfort food it was ok.  But even when Star Wars was being stupid (ewoks, Jar-Jar and love scenes) it still mostly felt innovative.  I missed the feeling of something new.
Same here. This is the third Star Wars movie featuring a planet-destroying space orb and the 4th 4th SW movie featuring a MacGuffin that needed to be blown up. Enough already. Changing the name of a big planet-destroying space orb from "Death Star" to "Starkiller" is not putting new flesh on old bones.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Star Wars [2] - Page 20 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Tell you what. Seeing as I am such a horrible nasty bully I will take a break instead of Petty. Please do return and continue your deconstruction of the first female Jedi, I am sure that whatever you say will be correct, I can hardly have anything useful or insightful to add to the debate anyway.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Not what was implied. If anything you should have been attacking me for sexism, not Petty. Before you got on that line we were pretty much saying the same things and getting the same responses.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Sofa

oops!

I guess I should have instead said that I don't think the questions being brought up by the first 20 minutes of the film warrant this much discussion, because the movie is a simply told story.
I mean I was enjoying the discussion, but then things started looking like an embroiled Doctor Who thread!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Yeah, we had a pretty good containment policy for a while, but it broke out of the confinement zone.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 pm

bungobaggins wrote:http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-george-awakens

Going to quote myself here. This is a very good, brief, article. I've definitely been feeling the sentiment that the author describes of starting to appreciate what Lucas did now that TFA has made me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, go back to the original movies (even the prequels for some). I think my animosity for the changes to the original trilogy is lightening a little. However, the changes I'll never get over are Vader's "NOOO!" in ROTJ and changing Boba Fett's voice in ESB. I've pretty much gotten over everything else. We can sit here and criticize Lucas (and JJ) but he's given us this amazing galaxy far far away. Maybe some day I'll go back to the prequels, but I think it's too early for that now.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah, I've gone back and watched the original trilogy, and what he did is just astounding. The prequels have a few things which if fixed would turn them into pretty decent movies as well, but the fixes are pretty impossible. Perhaps some Petty Style editing would improve the prequels, if no plot points are lost.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:00 pm

From that article, I think this said it all:

It took a unique—well, derivative—sequel to create an atmosphere in which Lucas could be viewed in a new light. The biggest reason Lucas looks better is because “The Force Awakens” is an admission that, thirty-eight years later, the original can’t be topped.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Yeah that summed it up really well. And while I enjoyed TFA a lot, it's not better than ANH.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:20 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah that summed it up really well. And while I enjoyed TFA a lot, it's not better than ANH.

Yeah, I agree with the points the article was making (even if I'm inclined to think the initial sucess of SW arguably owes much of its sucess to the editors and SFX people). Would it be fair to say Lucas is the superior 'artist' (in terms of worldbuilding, conceptual designs and thematic material) whilst Abrams is the better filmaker (i.e I'd say Abrams is much better at directing actors, set pieces, and camera placement/shot framing).

That said...after Disney paid $4 billion for the rights, and politely, but firmly cast Lucas aside was anyone really expecting anything too surprising?

TFA was arguably more of a reboot for a modern audience than sequel for fans, and I still think it's too early in the Disney era of Star Wars to fully judge how/why it stands or falls on its own merits as the first in the non-lucas SW films...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 pm

I would like to apologise to Petty if I hurt his feelings. I hope he comes back soon because he is far more important for this forum than I ever will be. I will take leave of absence and do other stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 pm

It only hurts my feelings Figg because I enjoy your online company and respect you, I think you are an important and vibrant part of this community, so to find after all this time you seem to have such a low opinion of me, yeah that stings. But your apology I accept nonetheless.

And my importance is non-existent- Forumshire was here in spirit before me, with Eldo, and Tin and Orwell and Chris and others and it will hopefully go on after I am gone, if that happens. But its nothing at all without its people, and that means everyone, with no one of more import than any other. You are as much a fabric of this place as the green backdrop, dont you dare think to change that. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I would like to apologise to Petty if I hurt his feelings. I hope he comes back soon because he is far more important for this forum than I ever will be. I will take leave of absence and do other stuff.

Don't be too hasty Figgs, you are both very important to this forum, I'm sure Petty's mature enough to realize you meant no genuine offense (and vice versa), and both of you will be missed if you do something rash, it's just a movie after all, there's been so much nonsense discussed here over the years, it isn't worth falling out over something like this, nothing wrong with being strong willed or enthusiastic about something, and sometimes things can be misinterpreted or offend accidentally.

Whilst Petty seems like quite a strong willed guy and knows where he stands in any discussion (well, his online persona does at least I don't know him 'properly' as such), he's been a very generous, friendly and thoughtful contributor in the time I've been here-as have you), and it would be a shame to see either of you leave.

Not saying either of you is necessarily right though, and I apologize if that came across as me dictating or talking down to either of you, I try and stay out of arguments here, and I'm only saying things as I see them

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:It only hurts my feelings Figg because I enjoy your online company and respect you, I think you are an important and vibrant part of this community, so to find after all this time you seem to have such a low opinion of me, yeah that stings. But your apology I accept nonetheless.

And my importance is non-existent- Forumshire was here in spirit before me, with Eldo, and Tin and Orwell and Chris and others and it will hopefully go on after I am gone, if that happens. But its nothing at all without its people, and that means everyone, with no one of more import than any other. You are as much a fabric of this place as the green backdrop, dont you dare think to change that. Mad

I have a very high opinion of you, you doofus. I must confess I wrote that deliberately knowing it would piss you off, which was horrible of me, but sometimes you bring out my stinging tail, don't know why but you do. maybe its me, I do have Scorpio ascendant. maybe I need to grow up. whatever. like that's ever going to happen.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm

It would be a horrible loss if you 'grew up'. Nod

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Going off on a tangent...whilst the OT remain classic films, I couldn't help but notice something when I recently rewatched Empire
Nitpicking geekery... :

As I said, it's probably nitpicking (in a film about talking robots, gaint space battles and a weird mumbo jumbo mystical 'force' you can't really take the science that seriously anyway), but I feel a little stupid for not realizing this earlier...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:08 pm

halfwise wrote:It would be a horrible loss if you 'grew up'.  Nod

Nod

Forumshire isn't exactly a bastion of maturity at time anyway Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:16 pm

malickfan wrote:Going off on a tangent...whilst the OT remain classic films, I couldn't help but notice something when I recently rewatched Empire
Nitpicking geekery... :

As I said, it's probably nitpicking (in a film about talking robots, gaint space battles and a weird mumbo jumbo mystical 'force' you can't really take the science that seriously anyway), but I feel a little stupid for not realizing this earlier...

If you're gonna start criticizing Star Wars on physical plausibility we may as well all go back on vacation. rabbit

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:17 pm

sometimes you bring out my stinging tail, don't know why but you do. -Figg

I would have thought that was obvious- its because I'm a stubborn, entrenched crabbit old bastard. Nod

I say we put this one behind us and knock it up to the possibility we may have aged but not necessarily gained wisdom! (I assume I will find it one day at the bottom of a buckie bottle, no luck so far but I am determined to keep looking drunken )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 pm

malickfan wrote:I try and stay out of arguments here.

i try to restrict my arguments to colours

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next