Pettytyrant101
Bluebottle
halfwise
20 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: Star Wars [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:19 pm

I have high hopes for this film, too much is riding on it for it to be another Hobbit style cock-up.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:52 pm

For me, far far more was riding on The Hobbit than well ever be riding on a Star Wars sequel, so I don't know what you've been smoking Mrs. Figg, that sci-fi-fantasy is suddenly the best thing ever!  Suspect

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:14 pm

well yep for me to there was much more personal investment in the Hobbit, but Star Wars is arguable a bigger deal for most people. I think its got the bigger following and the originals are now more in the way of iconic legendary wotsits. LOTR is relatively recent in comparison. Personally speaking the Hobbit was far more important.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o1_r1_250Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o2_r1_250
Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o3_r1_250Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o4_r2_250
Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o7_r1_250Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o8_r2_250
Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o5_r1_250Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_mmrtl1IUGE1qlvie8o6_r2_250

Well, at least he liked this franchize. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Eldorion wrote:The RT score will probably change over more time as more reviews are added but the top critics score -- as well as the Metascore -- are probably going to stay pretty close to where they are now because they've already added about the number of professional reviews they usually do.  At least on Meta.
The score should go down at least 5 points as more reviews are added. That seems to be the general pattern. I'm not actually certain whether this is because positive reviews are encouraged by the advertising people and the negatives take their own time or... some other reason!

Nice comeback there Jon Stewart.  Laughing

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Went in expecting nothing at best, came out mind-blown Very Happy Loved it! As expected, it's packed with the usual Star Wars cliches, but somehow it all works. I had serious doubts about bringing back the veterans, but that too worked for me. Han and Chewie are as great as ever. The minute you walk in there, sit down in your seat and watch the screen go dark and read A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... you know it's going to be good Very Happy And Rey is a great character, loved her - I think Star Wars is ready for some gurl powar at last Very Happy

And
Spoiler:

Enjoy! Star Wars [2] - Page 8 H15056

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:04 pm

"And then you saw the movie...

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_ln28jdDGAO1qk7bg5o1_500

...oh..."

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25 pm

My son is going to see it tomorrow Very Happy

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:13 pm

I will probably go on Saturday afternoon.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Ringo: Did you see it in 3D or 2D?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:00 am

Glad to hear you liked it, Ringo! Very Happy There are exactly 24 hours left for me now so I'm getting antsy. Laughing

Edit: alright, I couldn't resist looking at your spoiler, but I'd already seen some Hamill pics from the premiere anyway so I'm still good. Razz He does look really good now.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 am

Bluebottle wrote:Well, at least he liked this franchize. Shrugging

I still think Abrams took the Trek job either as an audition tape for Star Wars or because he thought it was the closest he'd get to the real thing.  But yeah, it's obvious where his passion lies.  You can watch his interviews in the Empire of Dreams documentary from a decade ago too and get a sense of that.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:02 am

The thing I'm worried about the most with this movie is the amount of things the audience can understand without seeing the original first. It's not that most people haven't seen the original star wars, but films starting new trilogies should stand alone.

Even the prequels acknowledged that you can't rely on knowing the originals to make the films understandable in their own right - even though the PT had a HUGE share of their own plot-holes and problems.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:12 am

From the spoilers that I've read, the film is not going to require prior knowledge to understand.  I agree with you on the artistic grounds, but it'd be a really weird move from a business standpoint.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 am

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 12342274_770344723070462_9136591075214611931_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am

I'm supposed to go Saturday with my brother and a bunch of other people, think I might try to see it tonight though.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:37 pm

I'm gonna be seeing it again with other people later on but we're not sure when. I explained that I wanted to go for the first night too and people understood. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm not sure why, but I'm not feeling the major excitement levels for this. Perhaps I was never that big a Star Wars fan. (If you saw my lips move after this point, you can assume I was apologizing.)

Now obviously the original trilogy is great, in any sense of the word. But it is on the whole a little to.. american.. bland.. spaceopera-ish.. for me to really be sold on it. (I much prefer Firefly, to be honest.) Shrugging

(Flame torch thrown, I think. Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Smiley_fire_element Sofa)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:37 pm

halfwise wrote:Ringo: Did you see it in 3D or 2D?

2D, I can't stand 3D Smile

"From the spoilers that I've read, the film is not going to require prior knowledge to understand. I agree with you on the artistic grounds, but it'd be a really weird move from a business standpoint." - Eldo

This is very true, but as I've seen the original trilogy more times than I can count since I was 5 or 6, I don't really care either. I'm going to see it with my brother and my dad when I go home for Christmas holidays next week, I wonder if I'll like it as much the second time. Anyway, just seeing a Star Wars movie on the big screen again was fantastic. And Tie Fighter/X-Wing dogfights are better than ever Very Happy

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I am not very excited to see this film as I was never a huge fan, although I did like them at the time, I guess after the Hobbit fiasco I am much more cynical and my expectation levels are rock bottom. It will be nice to see the four original actors though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I'm not sure why, but I'm not feeling the major excitement levels for this. Perhaps I was never that big a Star Wars fan. (If you saw my lips move after this point, you can assume I was apologizing.)

Now obviously the original trilogy is great, in any sense of the word. But it is on the whole a little to.. american.. bland.. spaceopera-ish.. for me to really be sold on it. (I much prefer Firefly, to be honest.)  Shrugging

(Flame torch thrown, I think. Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Smiley_fire_element Sofa)

The roaring sound and flashing lights vanished when you mentioned your love for Firefly. Wink

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:38 pm

the reviews seem to be very positive. Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Just to add some proper crabbit sensibility to all this, vaguely hopeful as I am that this is actually any good, The Phantom Menace also got overwhelmingly rave reviews when it premièred too- seriously google them. Some things said then, such as the sentiment if this had been the first film everyone would have hailed it a masterpiece, were banded about, I have read in spoiler free reviews once more. Suspect Till you see it, keep your crabbit by your side!! Its fer yer ain gud, laddies and lassies!Twisted Evil

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:55 pm

I have high hopes too, but I'm preparing to watch it with low expectations for that very reason. I'm setting the bar low. What I'm hoping to see is a respectful "passing the torch" story. That will be enough....

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Spoiler:

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Star Wars [2] - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next