Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 4 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:50 am

Bluebottle wrote:Blood moon eclipse, if you have missed it!

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_n44cqueGyO1sniu4co1_500

I was too tired (and it was too cloudy here) for moongazing last night, so I appreciate you posting this GIF! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:01 am

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 YZXObbN

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:53 am

*snort*

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Blood moon eclipse, if you have missed it!

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_n44cqueGyO1sniu4co1_500

I was too tired (and it was too cloudy here) for moongazing last night, so I appreciate you posting this GIF! Very Happy

Someone posted this in response. Razz

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_nvd2kmktn51tt6rn3o2_250Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_nvd2kmktn51tt6rn3o1_250
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_nvd2kmktn51tt6rn3o4_r1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Tumblr_nvep7l3LhX1rle9u4o1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Great concept shot, I'm surprised nobody else has thought to do that.

And on Mars, it seems the water may be mostly atmospheric, which means not great puddles for life to grow in.

http://www.techinsider.io/nasas-big-mars-mystery-announcement-will-be-about-water-2015-9

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Love the ATLA reference. Very Happy

I wish there had been better sky-watching conditions; I'd have loved to see the Moon that huge in the sky.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 am

NASA uploaded a couple hundred photographs never shown to the public until now! So here are a few of those (colour correction by a reddituser). Here are the original photos uploaded to Flickr by NASA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums1
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 XcgqpEZ
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 2myI7t7
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 TCsS6Oo
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 9rWhdip
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Z49wmw8
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 F75846h
Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 FqIa0VT

Last edited by huffjuff on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pics to big)

huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 am

Now that is interesting !! Very Happy

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:22 pm

'Planet spotters examining data from the Kepler Space Telescope were startled by an unusual light pattern orbiting a star called KIC 8462852.
When they studied the star, which sits some 1,480 light years from Earth, they noticed a swarm of objects surrounding it in an usual pattern.
At first it was thought to be comets, shrapnel from an asteroid impact or even a mistake in the data.

Jason Wright from Penn State University said, "Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build."

Tabetha Boyajian the post doctoral researcher at Yale says that the light being emitted by KIC 8462852 is what triggered some interest in 2011.
She explained to The Atlantic : "We’d never seen anything like this star.
“It was really weird. We thought it might be bad data or movement on the spacecraft, but everything checked out.”
The light pattern looks like there's a mass of matter surrounding the star."
The Planet Hunters study seeks to explain reasons for it, which include instrument defects, shrapnel from an asteroid belt pileup and an impact of planetary scale.
The final 'natural scenario' it poses is if another star had passed through the KIC 8462852's system, it could have pulled comets inward, but it's far from certain.

Tabetha now admits she is considering extra-terrestrial reasons.
James and Tabetha are working with Andrew Siemion, the Director of the SETI Research Center at the University of California on a proposal for pointing a radio dish at KIC 8462852.

They hope to see if the radio waves show any signs of technological activity.'- Daily Record

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:06 pm

alien

But I ain't getting my hopes up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:16 pm

:carrot: alien bounce alien :carrot:

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 UJpDi Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 pm

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Shocked

alien

Wave
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 pm

mass of matter surrounding a star, wouldn't it be too hot? scratch sunny
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:26 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 4 YZXObbN

I think Bela likes the red moon. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:mass of matter surrounding a star, wouldn't it be too hot? scratch sunny

erm...that's what we are.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:52 am

That's pretty much as far into confirmation bias as you'll ever get. :facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Last few days when I've been getting in to work (around 5 or 6 AM) I've seen two very bright lights in the sky towards the east. I'm guessing one of them is Venus, but I'm not sure about the other. Does anyone here know?

Edit: I don't think the other one is Mercury, but it's the only thing I can think of.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Been looking up and wondering that myself the last couple of mornings on my own way to work!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 pm

I think the answer is in here, but I don't have time to read through it now.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm

crikey!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/18/chinas-floating-city-sends-alien-hunters-into-over-drive-as-they-claim-its-proof-of-a-parallel-universe-_n_8326632.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-tech&ir=UK+Tech&ncid=webmail4
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Laputa. cheers

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm

halfwise wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:mass of matter surrounding a star, wouldn't it be too hot? scratch sunny

erm...that's what we are.

Mad I know that! but how close? it could be Mercury close or Mars close.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:48 pm

This article covers things we've discussed before, but it's still pretty mindblowing

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 26  Next