I don't know if I'd ever heard "Hocus Pocus" before, but I loved it. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Music [3] - Page 21 Empty Re: Music [3]

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:16 am

I was poking around through YouTube suggestions based on an instrumental hip hop channel that I'm subscribed to, and I came across a bunch of stuff by this guy Gramatik.  I'd never heard of him before but I'm really digging his music so far.  Love that chill sound and especially the jazz and funk influences.

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:50 pm

This song is really cool, although.. admittedly.. a bit weird too. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:29 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:22 am

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:23 am

God, am I having a Neil Young phase? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Not really a finished song, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. (It really grooves when it gets into the chorus.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 pm

(Who knew you could make music like this drunk. Shocked)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

Neil Young on Tonight's the Night

“It was an LP recorded in audio vérité, if you will, while completely intoxicated on Jose Cuervo tequila. We would not start recording until midnight, when we were so fucked up we could hardly walk…When I played Tonight’s the Nightfor Mo Ostin and Lenny Waronker at Reprise, as was always my habit to do when I handed a record in, Mo asked, ‘Neil, are you sure you want to put that out? It’s really rough, and it may not be received well.’ I said yes. He understood why, which makes him one of the greatest record men of all time. Then we got in the Black Queen and rode home to the ranch, at least a full year after Tonight’s the Night had been originally recorded. The car was there for every event tied to that record. Every night after those sessions, we rode the Black Queen home to the Sunset Marquis on Alta Loma in Hollywood, weaving down Santa Monica Boulevard at three or four in the morning, completely wrecked on tequila, and we made it, so there is a God.”

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:00 pm

With tracks from Nashville, the ranch and Los Angeles - plus a bittersweet song called "White Line" that Young had recorded as an acoustic duet with the Band's Robbie Robertson in England a few days before CSNY's Wembley show - Homegrown was shaping up to be a major work. After some mixing was completed, Elliot Mazer headed off for England, where he played a tape of the album for the head of Chrysalis Records, who then told Mo Ostin he was sure they had another five-million seller. But then a funny thing happened. Young changed his mind.

Blame it on that blurry evening at the Chateau Marmot, where Young had played Homegrown back to back with Tonight's the Night for a bunch of stoned musicians including Rick Danko. "At which point Rick the Prick said, 'Go with the raw one,'" said Mazer who was devastated when Young decided to jettison Homegrown in favor of Tonight's the Night.

He's certainly an intriguing guy.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 am

So long woman I am gone,
so much pain to go through.
Come back maybe I was wrong.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:28 am

Live version.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 pm

I guess it's kind of a big deal when an artist releases her first album for five years, particularly when the last one was as monumental as Have one on me was. Anyway, Joanna Newsom is releasing a new album in October, no idea how it'll turn out, but it was announced and the first song was released just a couple of days ago.

http://pitchfork.com/news/59135-joanna-newsom-announces-new-album-divers-shares-sapokanikan-video/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 pm

It certainly looks good.

Music [3] - Page 21 JoannaNewsomArt

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:10 pm

For her first new song in five years, Joanna Newsom is giving us a lesson in Native American history. ‘Sapokanikan’ – the first track to be taken from her fourth album ‘Divers’ – is named after an area of land in the cove of New York’s Hudson River. It’s where the Native American people known as the Lenape once settled, and is now known as Gansevoort Street in the city’s bohemian Greenwich Village.

At some points, it seems as if Newsom is singing about the settlers’ legacy (“The map o’ Sapokanikan is centered and devilled/The landowning leveled by some unrecorded and powerful hand,” she sings at the track’s start, adding later “the records they left are cryptic at best”). But, at others, she seems to be putting herself into the story and imagining herself as part of the group, like when she trills about seeing someone “depart for the western front where I walk my cow.”

Musically, it’s a familiar sound of horns, piano and flute combining into something pretty, elegant and enchantingly old-fashioned. Here, they bounce just as the Paul Thomas Anderson-directed video (who Newsom worked with on Inherent Vice) shows her skipping through the Village streets, capturing the calm of a snowy day and the pretty scenery of the night as she goes. As she wanders around, her voice goes from soothing and soft to shrill, Kate Bush dramatics. Lyrically, ‘Sapokanikan’ might be bookish, but its melodies are more than infectious enough to leave it ringing in your head long after its five minute run time has passed.
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/joanna-newsom-returns-with-a-lesson-in-native-american-history-on-the-skipping-sapokanikan

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:10 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

I've really warmed to this song. Which is really promising, as while I loved Have one on me, her last album, I only ever really warmed to one song off her first two.

Ah, well. Something to look forward to. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I really like the piano work and the song's musical concept. It sounds to me like she needs to work on some of the technical points of her delivery. I think after a year of performing it, it will be quite something.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:51 pm

I could only catch maybe half of the lyrics. Which is okay for some artists, but with her it seemed like she was maybe trying to tell an actual story. And only catching a broken-up half of a story is not very good.

The instruments were good, like Halfwise said, but I'm not a fan of her voice. It's a little too crackly-shrill for me.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:13 am

I'm putting tinfoil up on the windows..

Music [3] - Page 21 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm

ciao to my Cuban friends.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 pm

It's so good to see the culture of Cuba being celebrated and hopefully invigorated. Between Castro and the good ole USA we damn near killed it off.

I hope this little video will spur some tourism.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:

I'm putting tinfoil up on the windows..

Nice. Thumbs Up I should really explore Zevon beyond Werewolves of London.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:06 am

I'm not a Zevon expert or anything but this is one of my favorite of his songs that I've heard:

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next