Bluebottle
Tinuviel
Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
shire_folk
20 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Empty Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by shire_folk Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:30 am

Hello,

I realise a lot of people would prefer a 'shorter cut edition' of the Hobbit, however I thought I would create a thread to talk about the possible extended scenes. Feel free to add any relevant info, speculations and stills or hints for possible extended scenes....
What do you think will be included and what do you hope is included in the EE?

Personally I thought that the extended edition of DOS added to the enjoyment of the movie and made some scenes closer to the book - Beorn, Mirkwood...

To start off here is a blog with lots of speculation (including some pictures) of possible extended scenes.

https://atolkienistperspective.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/the-battle-of-the-five-armies-extended-edition-speculation/

And this 1 minutes video sums up everything in the blog - possible scenes & confirmed scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVC3X9LAc4w

So far we know that it will include 30 minutes extra footage.

Cheers!

P.S.

Immediately after posting this thread I discovered the following on LOTR WIKIA:

Beorn (extended)
Saruman vs. Sauron (extended)
The Battle of Five Armies (extended)
Charge of the Dwarven Rams (Added)
Dwarven Chariot vs. Wargs (Added)
Elves will not fire their arrows against Dwarves but against a wave of Wargs and Warg riders
Thorin's funeral and Dain's coronation
Galadriel will use more of her power, though the power of her ring will be mainly used to protect and heal
We may see more of the Three Rings of the Elves
Radagast will show his ability as a member of the Istari

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hobbit_Extended_Edition

shire_folk

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Shire_folk.

Just watched the video you linked too.

I am all for the funeral and coronation but um thats about it- the rest looks like yet more pointless spectacle.

To go through them from the vid-

Smaug attacking Lake town- and more Bard- I suspect this will boil down to more stupid stunts with Bard hanging off things (what is it with Pj and his fake attempts to draw out drama by hanging people off high places?).

More Legolas and Tauriel- please Eru no! There is more than enough of this terrible inclusion as is we certainly don't need more of its awfulness detracting from the story of Bilbo than there already is- less would be better not more, or none at all ideally.

More Thorin- well this one depends what we get- more of his Dragon Sickness nonsense that comes out of nowhere and is gone just as quickly?

More Sauron- please no, not more of this farcical badly written badly done unnecessary nonsense. Just more time spent overshadowing Bilbo's tale.

More Balin and Bilbo- now that might be better, again depends what the subject matter is but Balin is easily the best developed of the dwarves and its nice to see Bilbo in his own film.

More armies and fighting- no, no,no. The battle is already a complete undermining of everything Tolkien was saying about it we don't need more of it.

Dwarf crossbows- hate the idea- how did they march all the way from the Iron Hills in the time frame given, already an impossibility, if hey were dragging all these catapults with them?

Cart scene- yes because what these films really need is more scenes of pointless cgi filled spectacle!

Dwarves on goats- hated this idea from when I first heard of it- totally destroys the wonderful images painted by Tolkien of the relentless marching dwarven army. Its just more empty spectacle.

Women of Laketown fighting- no real objection here save it smacks of Boyens 'feminine energy' agenda- but at least its more plausible and possibly less cack handed than the forced inclusion of Tauriel. Who is to feminism what Jimmy Saville is to child care.

More scenes of Beorn- this one I do hope for but fear Pj will still screw it up as I doubt Beorn will have anything to do with Bolg or with turning the tide of battle and I fear it will just be another excuse for more over the top ludicrous spectacle.

On the additional points you posted, god to see the wargs will be in it given they are supposed to be one of the 5 armies Mad

More elvish rings rubbish and more Radagast that are utterly unnecessary to the tale of TH,not good. Just more time spent pointlessly away from the main story and confusing what should be the central themes of the story.

But thanks for the links and the info though Shire_folk Thumbs Up

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Empty Re: Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition

Post by shire_folk Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Hi Shire_folk.

Just watched the video you linked too.

I am all for the funeral and coronation but um thats about it- the rest looks like yet more pointless spectacle.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate your thoughts and agree with a lot of what you said - however I am still keen to see the extended edition.
I appreciated the additional Beorn & Mirkwood footage in the DOS extended edition.

shire_folk

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:58 pm

I agree about the DOS EE being better than the TE. Most definitely, still not good because of all the rest fo the nonsense but I in particular was glad of the intro to Beorn based off the books. Made my purist edit better! Very Happy

Hopefully a few scenes from the BOFA EE will also be useful in that regard. Including more Beorn as his appearance in the TE edition was frankly not worth bothering with.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:15 pm

30 minutes! That's rather substantial.
I'm curious as to what Radagast's "wizard power thingum" is going to be. Perhaps he blows intoxicating smoke out of his ears?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:13 am

Spits bugs at everyone? Shrugging Scrapes the bird shite off his beard and throws it the Nine? Shrugging Sends in an army of cgi hedgehogs led by Sebastian? Shrugging

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 am

I thought the movie was actually fine apart from the lack of closure for some pretty big storylines, mainly the funeral, but also some sort of goodbye between Bilbo and his new buddies Thrandypants and Bard. Not to mention the white gems plot was dropped, and nothing of Bard except him staring at something? No not enough. A lame argument could be made I suppose in the TE's defense in that each character had some kind of closure, even though that closure has nothing to do with the greater plot of the story. So yes everyone personally has closure but as far as having closing out their parts in the main story line I'd say they decided to focus solely on Bilbo at the wrong time

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:57 pm

I also found the ending rather rushed and the lack of conclusions to several storylines quite jarring. To the degree that I wonder at Jackson letting the movie be released as it was. So, I'd definitely be interested in seeing whether a extended edition might make a difference. And at 30 minutes extra fotage, it sounds like quite a lot was left out.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong and this was just a rumour, but wasn't there supposed to be an additional scene of Bilbo retrieving the treasure chest from the troll cave left out? scratch I don't see it on that list, anyway.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't think there was ever any official confirmation of it- I think it was assumed from two things in the films- firstly in AUJ Bilbo comments that 'it still smells of troll' and secondly on his return to the Shire he appears to have the chest with him.

Although if these films have showed anything its that just because they set up a storyline in an earlier film its no guarantee they wont just dump it later or forget all about it or just change their mind after the event. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Thats why I cant, & wont, recommend,admire or trust peejers with ME, he's far too inconsistent, rushed & slap dash.He tip toes over the stepping stones & hopes a crocodile doesnt come out. He fails to knit things together & you are always left feeling "eh?", & unfulfilled. Theres no real concrete conclusions. I think he has utterly failed with The Hobbit, its substandard, below par. Take away ALL the spectacle & what is left ? No substance & a partially incoherent story that begs for answers he cant give you. Thats how he makes me feel. Even with King Kong he had to go overboard on that, tho amazingly he did stick to the original Fay Wray film better than he did with The Hobbit. I feel that as time goes along, peejers was NOT the correct choice to go back into Middle Earth.Not with The Hobbit.

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Maybe if they had bothered having a script to work from things might have been better but his slap-dash approach to film making has fallen apart on TH.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 pm

So, correct me if I'm wrong. (I did only see the movie once and it has been a while.) This is the entirety of a conclusion to the actual battle we see in the theatrical edition, right?

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Tumblr_nhuxxqNSio1rp382io5_500

We do get some of the aftermath, I know. But I mean for the actual battle.

I certainly remember feeling very short changed.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:28 pm

it wasn't a satisfying ending.

#understatementofthecentury
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:08 am

They spent way too long on Thorin and Azog IMO, and honestly on Thorin in general. After a scene or two we get the fact that Thorin has dragon sickness, it doesn't need to be shoved down our throats (though I'm a tiny bit torn because Armitage's acting was pretty good in those parts). That time could have been put on the ending.

Battle of the Five Armies - Extended Edition Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:39 am

Tinuviel wrote:They spent way too long on Thorin and Azog IMO, and honestly on Thorin in general. After a scene or two we get the fact that Thorin has dragon sickness, it doesn't need to be shoved down our throats (though I'm a tiny bit torn because Armitage's acting was pretty good in those parts). That time could have been put on the ending.

They also wasted too much time on Alfrid as well.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:20 pm

turns out I am not banned on TORn. In the UK I can access the forum under my current avatar, odd.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Going to raise some hell? Twisted Evil tongue

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm

They probably just banned Italy. Rolling Eyes

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:turns out I am not banned on TORn. In the UK I can access the forum under my current avatar, odd.

Till they figure out your current IP address. I got in once made a couple nice posts and as soon as they saw a change in IP address. BAMMM!!! Banned again. lol!

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:46 pm

In the future, if a teacher assigns their students to read The Hobbit and write a report on it, the students will be more than likely to actually read the book because it would be quicker than watching the movies. :prof:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Sinister71 wrote:I got in once made a couple nice posts and as soon as they saw a change in IP address. BAMMM!!! Banned again. lol!

Just curious Sin, which kind of "nice" were they? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm

David H wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:I got in once made a couple nice posts and as soon as they saw a change in IP address. BAMMM!!! Banned again. lol!

Just curious Sin, which kind of "nice" were they?  Razz

They were nice... I wasn't being rude or disrespectful and was debating nicely until dormouse got involved and then 20 minutes later I was banned. I even agreed with someone on something Wink

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Sinister71 wrote:

I even agreed with someone on something Wink

Shocked

That's hard to imagine. What fun is that? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 am

It's true... someone over there got logical for a second. And actually thought something through instead of just being told what to think.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next