Elthir
RA
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
25 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by parzival Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Elthir wrote:I may purposely behorse and just run until my hooves hurt. I'll feel better though.

Are you a horse riding a horse?
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Yep, they lay their revised history on pretty strong. But - if you grant them the license to rewrite it I can see how they feel it buttresses the overall story arc.

Only problem is, the Lonely Mountain is lonely. It's not the strategic key to anything. Smaug, maybe, but I don't think he'd have taken very kindly to a bunch of orcs marching on him any more than any other two legged critters.

Capturing that pile of gold, now THAT you can do something with.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:So lets get this straight- you are saying there is no evidence to support my view that PJ used up the content and dialogue in the parting conversation earlier in the film?

Despite all the words being there in the book- and all the bits being clearly moved to earlier in the film- and which can all be pointed out and shown to be there?

Perhaps it would be better if you can show me the evidence that the parting conversation in the film contains the points it does in the book and where?

Because at the moment you are claiming black is white with no proof at all- whereas what I am saying is fully attested to in book and film.

nope I am saying that PJ made a very good job of the relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn, thats all I have been saying all along, and I have no idea what your above sentences mean. its gobbleygook. You have no evidence that PJ did not do a good job. Thats it really. I think you find it difficult to see LOTR with anybody elses viewpoint because you have edited them for so long, its like you see it your way and anyone with a differing viewpoint is wrong, you see things in a certain way, its set in stone, even when they give you evidence to the contrary. You cant be objective about it. Most people say theres absolutely no problem with how PJ tackled the relationship, but you are determined to pick fault, theres nothing I could say, no evidence I coud give, that would change your mind. Objectively he did a good job, the message was delivered, it was Crystal clear.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:39 pm

parzival wrote:
Elthir wrote:I may purposely behorse and just run until my hooves hurt. I'll feel better though.

Don't give Jackson any ideas for his next film... specially if it's about the Rohans.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 pm

halfwise wrote:Yep, they lay their revised history on pretty strong.  But - if you grant them the license to rewrite it I can see how they feel it buttresses the overall story arc.

Only problem is, the Lonely Mountain is lonely.  It's not the strategic key to anything.  Smaug, maybe, but I don't think he'd have taken very kindly to a bunch of orcs marching on him any more than any other two legged critters.

Capturing that pile of gold, now THAT you can do something with.

are you telling me that that stuff they came out with is true? Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Tinuviel wrote:

I hope not all the EE features aren't all this nostalgic, I agree with what they others said about their 'expertise'.

Try watching it with the subtitles...it's interesting Shocked

Kinda weird they are pushing the EE so much if Jackson is happry with the Theatrical...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:51 pm

The "extended" in the title doesn't mean it's from the EE, it just means it's longer than your typical pre-release promotional video. They made something similar for AUJ.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Elthir wrote:
parzival wrote:

Don't give Jackson any ideas for his next film... specially if it's about the Rohans.

slap laugh
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Eldorion wrote:The "extended" in the title doesn't mean it's from the EE, it just means it's longer than your typical pre-release promotional video. They made something similar for AUJ.

Did they? Even though I was actually excited for AUJ ( Mad ) I rarely watch any of the promotional material until the DVD comes out, a trailer is normally enough for me.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Elthir said...........That's it! Let it out... it's good for you... it's primal scream time!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 60612-ian-eastwood-ian-gif_zpsfuxja2sk

There's more where that came from Nod

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:29 pm

halfwise wrote:
Only problem is, the Lonely Mountain is lonely.  It's not the strategic key to anything.  Smaug, maybe, but I don't think he'd have taken very kindly to a bunch of orcs marching on him any more than any other two legged critters.
Now that would be amusing. Seeing Smaug awaken from his slumbers to find troops of orcs streaming in through his front gate. Crispy fiery flaming orcish chow time! (Not that he would enjoy the taste of orc very much necessarily).

Edit: We love your contributions, Petty and Figgster, but bugger off to the LotR FORUM!!!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 pm

The nerve of those two - being off topic in Forumshire of all places! Extremely Crabbit Give'em hell, Forest! Metal

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Moon
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:26 pm

My 1st thought when I saw a clip posted was "oh no, not again ", & I still feel like that. Funny how Smaug Kentuky fried Laketown & forgot the tower ?

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:31 pm

You have no evidence that PJ did not do a good job. Thats it really. I think you find it difficult to see LOTR with anybody elses viewpoint because you have edited them for so long, its like you see it your way and anyone with a differing viewpoint is wrong- Figg

That is not what has been under discussion- I even said in the last post that you were free to prefer PJ's version over Tolkiens as that wa snot my point.
The point under debate has been that PJ used up all the material in the parting conversation prior in the story and had nothing left of substance for the characters to say to each other at the end.
This has nothing to do with what you prefer, it has nothing to do with my editing, its not even an opinion, its just the facts of the matter.

I even gave full examples from book and film of why this was so in two separate posts and you replied to them respectively with "nope" and "there is no evidence to support your theory".

You cant just change the argument now and pretend that was not what was under discussion all this time when it very clearly was.

Edit: We love your contributions, Petty and Figgster, but bugger off to the LotR FORUM!!!- Forest

Crabbit will out where it must Forest!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Petty. Dude. look at the Dunharrow scenes again. The point is it doesnt matter one bit tha tPJ did or did not use some dialogue in Helms Deep. thats just pointless nitpicking. the WHOLE point is not that the dialogue was used, it was the effectiveness of the scene that is the important point. the scene in Dunharrow did a wonderful job, in particular for what was NOT said as much as what WAS said. thats why I dont understand you keep banging on about the use of the dialogue earlier. It doesnt matter.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:50 pm

it was the effectiveness of the scene that is the important point. the scene in Dunharrow did a wonderful job- Mrs Figg

That is entirely subjective. I for one dont think it is a wonderful scene, i think its a scene robbed of all its meaning.

But I was deliberately not discussing the subjective matter of if you liked it or not, I was discussing the non subjective matter of why there is nothing left for them to say to each other of significance- and the answer to that is because PJ used it all up already.

And I think that is more than nitpicking.

For me the character of Eowyn is too proud to be blurting out her love for Aragorn at the point she does in PJ's.
When its down to the wire and he is about to walk right out her life and leave her stuck and hopeless, that makes sense, that its then that someone like her would go so far as to be so openly indiscreet about her feelings. Even to become emotional.

I said before I thought moving some of the content of their final conversation earlier was good adaptation- but to move every last bit of it, especially that final crucial moment of her declaration does not seem like good adaptation to me as it leaves no content for the important moment of their parting, leaving it for me in comparison to the book completely emotionally flat.
Its an important character moment for her and Aragrorn which I feel was horribly mishandled for the sake of putting a cheap dramatic emotional capstone on PJ's own deviation with Aragorn and the warg fight. He has used it in lesser circumstances not warranted within the personality of Eowyn.

But that is my subjective opinion. But how Pj used the lines from that conversation is not subjective at all. Those are facts.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 pm

I liked the Laketown scene, I didn't want it to end actually, maybe because it's marginally like the book and I'm happy to see Bard with a bow and quiver rather than that stupid windlance thing.

Also, New clip
http://instantshare.canalplus.fr/p/2SsGdQVtD2

Bilbo yelling at Thorin for being stupid.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 38 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, peejers has made Thorin say "never underestimate Dwarves" so, why enlist Bilbo at all ? They could have all had a nice rest & chat about things, (while eating Bilbo out of house & home ) & THEN buggered off to Erebor, confident that other Dwarves would turn up Rolling Eyes
Who wrote this shit ? scratch

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Thorin is clearly pretty deep into his descent into madness by the time he says that.  It's not a plot hole.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:04 am

I think remember reading somewhere that Smaug has this stupid speech he says to Bard before he gets shot. Sounds like Smaug is just setting himself up to get killed.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:21 am

I kinda liked the clip. I don't mind them adding stuff so long as it's in character, and though this wasn't the grumpy/haughty Thorin from the book, I can rather see this being said. In the book Thorin basically just says smugly that Dain is on his way. This is a nice expansion of that dialogue.

{{{ If Moffat wrote it Petty would be all over it. :brows: }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:24 am

{{{If Moffat wrote it it would be better written. But Moffat at least has yet to ruin someone elses work- Who is original and his take on Conan Doyles work is overall of an exceptionally high quality }}}}

Who wrote this shit ?- Azriel

The same people who wrote the LotR's films, cant you tell?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:31 am

I didn't know peppermint could boomerang. scratch

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next