halfwise
David H
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
24 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 pm

BTW, I hated the Bakshi version of Aragorn. Looked too much like the barkeep at Mos Eisley.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Daniel Day Lewis is scrawny and he has too much chin and forehead.. No

plus the thing that's really great about Viggo is he didn't need to shout and bombast to be an action hero, he was soft spoken and understated, and that's rare in a hero. Last one who did that was Gary Cooper in High Noon. I think men tend to like heros like Bruce Willis in Die Hard, and women tend to like Viggo in LOTR. Shrugging both are cool for different reasons. I personally prefer Boromir to Aragorn and I never fancied Viggo, but each to their own. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm

I thought Viggo conveyed a strong silent ' dont mess with me' type. Sometimes its more unnerving when someone is quiet than when they are shouting & strutting about.

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:59 pm

You never fancied Viggo? Shocked You seem to be a female version of a statistical anomaly.

If you call D.D. Lewis scrawny you must not have seen Last of the Mohicans. I'm trying to find the best youtube clip...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:44 pm

you can tell he is scrawny by his wrists. he has scrawny wrists, he may have bulked up a bit for the film but he is defo on the slim side.

and no I never fancied Viggo. Very Happy  Grima is far sexier. Laughing

hey whats the deal with the forum maintenance doofer!?  No affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_nk1df5YP9u1st78duo1_500
Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_nk1df5YP9u1st78duo2_1280

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_nie8l2AVR81skwho3o1_1280

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:25 pm

The "Uruks have turned northeast" thing always bugs me. Very Happy I used to give my brother a running commentary of changes and nonsensicalities in the movies when he'd watch them with me (he was, to his unending credit, extremely patient with this, though it encouraged him to poke fun at the movies I think). Two other compass-related things that bugged me were the sun rising in the north (behind the Rohirrim) at the Battle of the Pelennor and the Easterling army marching into Mordor from the south rather than the east in TTT. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Yep, he's basicaly saying "Their coming straight back to us." Laughing

I guess it says somehting about the adaptive process. And JWBs tendency to do their adapting on the set on the day. Rolling Eyes

Eldorion wrote:I used to give my brother a running commentary of changes and nonsensicalities in the movies when he'd watch them with me (he was, to his unending credit, extremely patient with this, though it encouraged him to poke fun at the movies I think).

Haha, that's just what I was doing when watching GoTs with my brother last summer. "That's not right..", "They changed that..", "Actually, in the books..", but he put up me for the couple of episodes we watched.

Not sure I should watch season 5 with him for his sake, the way it's looking with the amount of changes. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:30 am

Showed it to my wife and she didn't get it till she actually looked at the map... Then she busted up laughing and said' "OOPS", I almost fell over at the way she said it slap laugh slap laugh

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:27 am

Eldorion wrote:The "Uruks have turned northeast" thing always bugs me. Very Happy I used to give my brother a running commentary of changes and nonsensicalities in the movies when he'd watch them with me (he was, to his unending credit, extremely patient with this, though it encouraged him to poke fun at the movies I think).  Two other compass-related things that bugged me were the sun rising in the north (behind the Rohirrim) at the Battle of the Pelennor and the Easterling army marching into Mordor from the south rather than the east in TTT. Razz

The Easterlings referred to are from Harad, which is to the south east of everything else (but south of mordor) because that's the way the coast bends. To get to Mordor they'd most likely march along the mountains on Mordor's western side, which means coming up from the south.

Not sure exactly what time of year the battle of the Pelennor fields was (fall?), but aren't the Rohirrim coming from the Northeast? In winter the sun does indeed rise from the northeast in the northern hemisphere. Sounds strange, but is true. In summer it rises more to the south.

But the orcs turning NE to Orthanc...that's just stupid.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:40 am

halfwise wrote:The Easterlings referred to are from Harad, which is to the south east of everything else (but south of mordor) because that's the way the coast bends.  To get to Mordor they'd most likely march along the mountains on Mordor's western side, which means coming up from the south.

Huh?  Every Third Age reference to Easterlings refers to people from Rhun, which is an inland region to the east and northeast of Mordor (though some of them settled in Rhovanion after displacing its prior inhabitants, the Northmen).  The Haradrim (Southrons) are a different group of peoples.  Speaking of Harad, a good deal of it is actually due south of Gondor (across the Bay of Belfalas), because the coast bends considerably to the west at that latitude (giant map here).  Umbar, which was an ethnically mixed city but associated with the Haradrim for much of its history, was actually southwest of Minas Tirith.

Not sure exactly what time of year the battle of the Pelennor fields was (fall?), but aren't the Rohirrim coming from the Northeast?  In winter the sun does indeed rise from the northeast in the northern hemisphere.  Sounds strange, but is true.  In summer it rises more to the south.

Most of the military action in the War of the Ring (including the battles of the Hornburg, the Pelennor, and the Black Gate) occurred in the winter of TA 3019.  The Pelennor specifically occurs in March.  Fair point about the sun, but the Rohirrim of the book would have been approaching from either due north or the northwest.  In the movie it's pretty clearly the northwest (perhaps north-northwest) because they're facing the the River Anduin, which is to the east of Minas Tirith.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:10 am

Near Harad is kinda east, but okay...assuming the Easterlings are related to the Wainriders then yeah, they should come from the other direction. In the book I always thought of them coming up the southern road but that really doesn't make much sense.

I always thought of Minas Tirith as looking the same direction as the tip of the Mindolluin, which would be Southeast, but it seems the detailed maps have a spur coming out due east that the city sits on.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:54 pm

I always think of Minas Tirith facing West in my imagination, but I don't think it does in the book, because its supposed to catch the first light of dawn on its battlements which means East? maybe. scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 am

Yeah, Minas Tirith faces east towards Mordor.  It's on a foothill of Mount Mindolluin (a rather large one at 700 feet).  The gate to the city faces east, and the big rock spur points in that direction as well (maybe ever so slightly SSE).  The western edge of the city includes Rath Dinen (the silent street, with the tombs) while the north and south faces are more built-up like the east.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:47 am

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_nl46lyhVe61u8ln5ho1_540

This made my day.

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:29 pm

I loathed Alfrid. No what a waste of time.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:34 pm

I thought he was a nasty piece of shit & so unTolkienish in his language & behaviour. He made Grima look professional & not so unreasonable Very Happy

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I loathed Alfrid. No  what a waste of time.

I get where Jackson was trying to go with the character he just IMHO wasn't needed ( or for that matter wanted by anyone but PJ) It got to be a bit out of control when this made up character started getting more screen time than actual book characters. Everyone says PJ knows how to tell a story but in truth he really doesn't know how to tell someone else's story. Meaning Tolkien's story. He did a good job telling his own story which was not the same as the story Tolkien wrote sadly enough. I mean he should have treated these films just like FOTR where he had no clue on whether or not they would have been successful and in the long run they would have been because Jackson was more careful in his storytelling. Alas what could have been. After writing something like my Hobbit script I can see so many errors Jackson and his writing team made.

Point being... what they thought was funny made most of us here cringe, shake our heads and roll our eyes at, not in a good way either. That's what happens when you get too big for your britches I guess

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 pm

the problem is the comic turn Alfrid does in the middle of a flipping battle makes the battle seem less serious, it lessens the gravity of the situation, its ridiculous bad timing. Rolling Eyes its not pathos its just dumb and dumber comedy that's not funny.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Oh yeah I love hobbits! I mean there’s Frodo, Bilbo, Sam and…uh…[looks at smudged writing on hand] Mary Poppins

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:56 am

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Ic6APwbTN0cJKaFg4EXogETyy4QQ_zTUgv2_M-eLEqvgHpRAdaQ58h2qzmBWjJilphH7fh4fNFQYKXq3-8rmtbVCJOQm9yuMpZIYZKJkbp-EZ2bljaQ=w426-h599-p

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:24 am

Still wouldn't be worse than what we actually got.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:41 am

Uh, ya know, I don't know.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:43 am

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 36 Tumblr_nl6uxkOgS51s4dx9ko1_1280

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next