Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

+14
Ringdrotten
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
Amarië
azriel
Mrs Figg
CC12 35
MeikoElektra
David H
Tinuviel
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
18 posters

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 am

Congratulations on getting everything turned in, Norc! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 pm

How does somebody get thrown out of club for doing air guitar?

Glad you celebrated, even gladder we got to hear about it! Twisted Evil Sounds like properly blurry night. I think you should follow up on the air guitar guy.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:36 pm

"when he heard i was a 94-model, that i was too old."

Laughing  that's very funny.

Shocked  feels like Tutankhamun spirit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:05 pm

thanks guys for the support! I survived!

halfwise wrote:How does somebody get thrown out of club for doing air guitar?
no idea how they thought air guitar wasn't festive. they also made him walk home without his jacket.. in snowy, freezing weather. drunk.
halfwise wrote:
Glad you celebrated, even gladder we got to hear about it! Twisted Evil  Sounds like properly blurry night.  I think you should follow up on the air guitar guy.

i think so too... but my heart got broken a week ago, not sure i want to try again any time soon..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Tell him you're on the rebound and may break his heart out of spite. That's usually a solid start and I'm not kidding. Gets all the crap out of the way right up front.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:34 pm

but i think he fell into a relationship with someone he hooked up with during that drunk couple of weeks at the beginning of term.. and fell as in he tripped on some pussy and got stuck. (that's my hope at least)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Ah well. Put him in storage, may come in useful later.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Norc wrote:as in he tripped on some pussy and got stuck

No I remember that happening to Mrs Figg (the one in Harry Potter I mean, not our Mrs Figg).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 pm

halfwise wrote:Ah well.  Put him in storage, may come in useful later.

thats such a dangerous way of thinking but i am so guilty of that...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 am

I'm not sure if this is an actual sentence written by a human being or if it was generated by some sort of buzzword algorithm but either way it made it into the lecture notes for a class I'm taking this semester.

A 2011 IBM study concluded that creative leaders who "embrace the dynamic tension between creative disruption and operational efficiency can create new models of extraordinary value."
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:39 am

This is really fucking with me so I tried to find the original source and got a summary of the study from IBM's website, which states that "[b]y harnessing the energy of opposites, creative leaders and their organizations can benefit from new assumptions that replace less effective 'either/or' approaches", which leads to such mind-blowing insights as:

Finding solutions to complex problems requires both analytical and creative thinking styles working together

Creative leadership is about seeking opportunities for shared value creation, even in the toughest of times and the most difficult of circumstances

Complex systems (for example, the human body) are able to adapt in an orderly fashion to unexpected challenges because their many distinctive parts work smoothly together
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 am

Rolling Eyes Razz

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 UJpDi Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Those just beg to be turned into inspirational posters. Laughing

Though I think a good exercise would be trying to rewrite them so they don't come off as buzzword drool. That's a skill.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Okay, I'll take on my own challenge on the first one.  Here's a first pass:

"Complex problems can be solved, but not by dogged pursuit of a single line of thought.  The artist and analyst must join forces."

Hmm, still needs work.  The first sentence doesn't sing.  Maybe combining them?

"Truly complex problems are only solved when the artist and analyst join forces."

Still not there. Perhaps I need to get out of the passive voice.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Another complex problem is solved every time an artist and analyst make love.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm

If you say so Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 am

http://www.jstor.org/stable/469222

Since Lukács defines the novel as the outward reflection of a cultural totality whose substance has been lost but whose forms have remained more or less intact, he sees the problem posed by modernity as the reintegration of the internal and external aspects of experience, of substance and form, "soul" and "world." Seen in this light, the irony of Don Quixote's project to imitate the heroes of great books may be taken to represent a historical possibility within the framework of the epic world, one that no longer remains valid for us; henceforward, the attempt to reconcile the ethical and aesthetic aspects of experience risks entrapment in an aesthetic ideology that reverses rather than reconciles the aspects of subjectivity that Lukács calls "form" and "life." By contrast, the discursive ideal established by The Theory of the Novel consists in nothing less than the absolute reunification of the ethical and aesthetic aspects of form. And yet the analysis proposed in The Theory of the Novel will not by its own lights allow this project to succeed. On the one hand, Lukács's supreme valorization of the epic seals the original sources of value inside an absolute and irretrievable past. Lukács understands the origins of the novel within the culture of modernity as the product of a fall from the integrity of subject-object relations reflected in the ancient epic world, so that any properly historical attempt to reunify these terms is bound to fail. On the other hand, the hope for some future restoration of value to the world of man, and for the transcendence of novelistic narration that Lukács glimpsed in the epic-like works of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, are the expressions of a redemptive dream-in Tolstoy's case, of "a life based on a community of feeling among simple human beings closely bound to nature" (TN 145); in Dostoevsky's case, of a visionary "new world," "remote from any struggle against what actually exists" (TN 152). In Lukács's later Marxist idiom, these writers express the emancipatory hope "that a natural life worthy of man can spring from the disintegration of capitalism and the destruction, seen as identical with that disintegration, of [its] lifeless and life-denying social and economic categories" (TN 20).

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 HGo9U0q

There's a lot that I'm struggling to make sense in this article, in part because the author hasn't bothered to actually define how he's using words like "totality" (though this might be on me for reading outside of my own academic wheelhouse), but one thing that particularly jumps out at me is the idea that we are trapped in a degenerate, valueless culture of some sort because of the "lifeless and life-denying social and economic categories" of capitalism, as if the societies in which ancient and medieval epic literature were written didn't have even stricter and more unequal social classes. scratch

This isn't actually something I'm reading for a class, just out of idle interest, but I figure halfy might appreciate it since he's previously mentioned his disconnect from the world of literary criticism and I'm feeling something similar right now. Razz Also JFC write better prose, people.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:08 am

Eldorion wrote:one thing that particularly jumps out at me is the idea that we are trapped in a degenerate, valueless culture of some sort because of the "lifeless and life-denying social and economic categories" of capitalism, as if the societies in which ancient and medieval epic literature were written didn't have even stricter and more unequal social classes.

I mean, shit, it's not like the Ancient Greeks needed modern people tell them about their social problems either. Read The Trojan Women and then come back and talk about how much it sucks that we can't "imitate the heroes" of epics anymore.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:39 am

Since Lukács defines the novel as the outward reflection of a cultural totality whose substance has been lost but whose forms have remained more or less intact, he sees the problem posed by modernity as the reintegration of the internal and external aspects of experience, of substance and form, "soul" and "world."

That is one hell of a sentence, I feel I should do a degree before I read it. scratch

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, it's full of stuff like that. This is literally the third sentence of the article:

If the epic world is "rounded from within," so that, as Hegel said in his Aesthetics, each individual action and each object in it is the reflection of a totality complete in itself, then the novel reflects the "transcendental homelessness" characteristic of the subject in the modern (read: postepic) world; this is a world in which man is "unsheltered," deprived of the metaphysical comfort of the gods or of access to a natural context of desire, yet hard pressed to derive any ultimate meaning from the world itself.

"Transcendental homelessness" is a term coined by Lukács. I'm not feeling brave enough to read the original book right now but according to Wikipedia it entails "the urge to be at home everywhere".

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lukacs/works/theory-novel/ch02.htm

Anyway, it was around this point that I gave up:

...the early Lukács conceives the operative principles of novelistic form along the lines of a Cartesian dualism of mind and world and a Kantian antinomy of inner-worldly experience and transcendental value. These philosophies are seen to give expression on a purely conceptual plane to the circumstances of the modern world, in which the nature of the real is seen philosophically as a function of its objective representation and materially in terms of the transformation by the market system of human labor into a series of almost mechanically hardened effects. By reading the problem of rationalization as one of reification, the antinomies of the modern age, which begin with the transformation of selfhood into subjectivity in the philosophy of Descartes and culminate in Kant's vision of human existence as divided between the two worlds-one in which we are determined and another in which we are free-become, as for the later Lukács, the "antinomies of bourgeois thought"; and novelistic narration in turn is seen as an adaptation of the idealist search for value to conditions in which the world has become reified and consciousness rendered contemplative and abstract.

My conclusion from all this is that Lukács played a significant role in Western Marxists getting totally lost up their own ass and inventing/inspiring the field of cultural studies rather than (as Marx himself advised) thinking of ways to actually change the world. Razz Though that's probably for the best; you don't have much time for liquidating the kulaks when you're busy pondering the Cartesian dualities of transcendental mental experiences.

By the way, I looked up the author of this article (A.J. Cascardi) and he's currently the Dean of Arts & Humanities at UC Berkeley. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Razz

Reminds me of the "Bertie and Jeeves" story where Bertie is given something called Foundations of Ethical Theory as a means of improvement by a woman he's trying to escape but can't manage to extricate himself from. The book is one of the main reasons he's trying to extricate himself.

Anybody who can write that kind of shit has their head firmly shoved up ass. I've written abstract crap like that myself; it's easy to do when trying to generalize a concept but keep it concise (there, I just did it! Shocked That last phrase was crap). The solution is to keep firmly focussed on examples from the real world. 80/20 rule: 80% of writing should be real world stuff anyone can follow, illustrating the 20% abstract concepts.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 Image001

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am

Eldorion wrote:Yeah, it's full of stuff like that. This is literally the third sentence of the article:

If the epic world is "rounded from within," so that, as Hegel said in his Aesthetics, each individual action and each object in it is the reflection of a totality complete in itself, then the novel reflects the "transcendental homelessness" characteristic of the subject in the modern (read: postepic) world; this is a world in which man is "unsheltered," deprived of the metaphysical comfort of the gods or of access to a natural context of desire, yet hard pressed to derive any ultimate meaning from the world itself.

"Transcendental homelessness" is a term coined by Lukács. I'm not feeling brave enough to read the original book right now but according to Wikipedia it entails "the urge to be at home everywhere".

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lukacs/works/theory-novel/ch02.htm

Anyway, it was around this point that I gave up:

...the early Lukács conceives the operative principles of novelistic form along the lines of a Cartesian dualism of mind and world and a Kantian antinomy of inner-worldly experience and transcendental value. These philosophies are seen to give expression on a purely conceptual plane to the circumstances of the modern world, in which the nature of the real is seen philosophically as a function of its objective representation and materially in terms of the transformation by the market system of human labor into a series of almost mechanically hardened effects. By reading the problem of rationalization as one of reification, the antinomies of the modern age, which begin with the transformation of selfhood into subjectivity in the philosophy of Descartes and culminate in Kant's vision of human existence as divided between the two worlds-one in which we are determined and another in which we are free-become, as for the later Lukács, the "antinomies of bourgeois thought"; and novelistic narration in turn is seen as an adaptation of the idealist search for value to conditions in which the world has become reified and consciousness rendered contemplative and abstract.

My conclusion from all this is that Lukács played a significant role in Western Marxists getting totally lost up their own ass and inventing/inspiring the field of cultural studies rather than (as Marx himself advised) thinking of ways to actually change the world. Razz Though that's probably for the best; you don't have much time for liquidating the kulaks when you're busy pondering the Cartesian dualities of transcendental mental experiences.

By the way, I looked up the author of this article (A.J. Cascardi) and he's currently the Dean of Arts & Humanities at UC Berkeley. Laughing

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 9 Image001

I think we can call that a workable theory Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:41 am

It's like the end result of a 14-year college education that taught nothing but how to produce quantities of meaningless confusion.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat May 05, 2018 2:58 am

So I'm not feeling very confident about one of my big projects this semester, but I got an e-mail yesterday informing me that one of my professors from last semester nominated me for an award handed out by the College of Information Studies (of which library and information science is a part) and that I won it. Shocked

The Simmona Simmons Best Student Paper on Diversity Award will be presented to a graduate student or a group of graduate students for an outstanding paper which has been written for an iSchool course [in Spring, Summer, or Fall 2017] and which focuses on any aspect(s) of diversity. The iSchool embraces a broad definition of diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, disability, age, socioeconomic status, education, geography, language, literacy, sexual orientation, and national origin, among other factors. Papers must be nominated by faculty and must represent outstanding work that furthers understanding by offering new insights on diversity issues, incorporating original research, and/or analyzing existing information in new ways.

My paper fell under the disability part of that definition. It had the rather uninspired title "Information Behavior of Teenagers and College Students Who Self-injure". Actually, the paper itself was sort of incidental to the main focus of the project, which was to create an online information resource (pathfinder) and do a presentation on the topic. I briefly mentioned this a couple pages back in this thread; it was intended to be a group project but I was one of two people in the class who chose to do everything myself. That meant I could have made my presentation shorter than the groups of 4-5 people had to do, but I ended up taking the full 20 minutes anyway. Fortunately the professor let me sit while talking because my legs were shaking too much to stand like everyone else, and I brought a water bottle with me because even during my "rehearsal" alone in my room my mouth got too dry to speak clearly after about 15 minutes.

I didn't conduct any original research for the project but I spent a fair bit of the presentation and paper criticizing a number of academics and practitioners who have really terrible opinions about self-injury, so the awards committee might have considered that to be "offering new insights ... or analyzing existing information in new ways". To be honest I was really pissed off while working on the project but I tried to tone it down a bit for general consumption. Laughing I get to collect a certificate during the commencement ceremony in a couple weeks, but since I'm not graduating and therefore won't be wearing regalia, I figure I should wear a suit, which will only be like the third time in the past five years. I don't even have it with me in this house so I have to drive over to my mom's to pick it up (which I'm not looking forward to). Hopefully it will still fit.

Anyway, at least I have a new line I can add to my CV. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next