Norc
Lancebloke
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Sinister71
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

the appendixes... - Page 2 Empty Re: the appendixes...

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm

To be fair, I don't think Jackson isn't so much lying about the republishing thing as he is telling only part of the truth to support his case. Tolkien did republish The Hobbit to fit better with LOTR, which is not something PJ has acknowledged much, since Tolkien didn't add any of the stuff that PJ is adding. Then, later, Tolkien briefly toyed with the idea of making The Hobbit more mature but quickly abandoned it. A few years after that Tolkien revised The Hobbit again (published as the third edition) making minor changes.

I'm not sure how to cut Jackson's comments about the Appendices without making him look dishonest or ignorant.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Its lying, Eldo- telling half a truth in order to conceal the truth and give the opposite impression of the truth is as good as a lie, possibly even worse. May as well call it what it is.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 pm

*shrug* I'm trying to give Jackson the benefit of a doubt but I don't really disagree with you.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:19 pm

You are just to damn nice Eldo! Mad Get some crabbit on at the lying git! Twisted Evil

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:26 pm

PJ is letting his mind run away ahead of himself as he knows he has no opposition. Tolkien has passed away, Im not aware of the outcome of the issue that the Tolkien family pursued, He only got a slap on the hand from film magnets over the production of LOTRs & The Hobbit, He does have a knack of Wriggiling based on a slick business mind & pure "gift of the Gab". He is to my mind, dishonest. Im sure he'd say his deception would be called "imagination",a film makers creative right if not duty. Plus I think hes unrepentive, he finds a good excuse to "why this & why that" plus endearing people with his cute,chubby, Hobbit like persona, & dont forget hes a family man, gives him that "wholesome","butter would'nt melt in your mouth" look, I would SO love a discussion with him, (with my dictaphone in my pocket !) It would be a short interview,as I fear it would be PJ leaving the conversation 1st !
p.s, His only opponent is the Tolkien fans, & in film speak, "all news,albeit good or bad, is good publicity, its when people go QUIET,thats when youve got to worry"
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 pm

The Tolkien Estate's lawsuit was against New Line, not PJ. Actually, PJ sued New Line as well, as did several other people. All reports seem to be that they were dishonest in their accounting practices (what else is new in Hollywood? lol).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Sorry Eldo, my mistake ! I just didnt keep up to speed on that one, Embarassed
But,as neutral as you are,over PJ & Tolkein, (which is SO sweeeeeet) It doesnt get away from the fact that,PJ has told a few "pork pies"!
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Eldorion wrote:I'm not sure how to cut Jackson's comments about the Appendices without making him look dishonest or ignorant.

I think it boils down to the truth and NOT the truth IMO. Telling only part of something as petty said to make it mean something else in my book is just as bad as lying. Although some view it as not telling the whole truth, while some just cough it up to not volunteering information that wasn't asked for. I think in any case if the majority of general movie going fans knew Jackson was not telling the truth it would be very bad for business. I know people still who had no clue the Hobbit was becoming a movie and when they heard were expecting the book on film, which I quickly told them the facts as Peter Jackson and WETA have divulged thus far. explaining to them that the story of the Hobbit is only about half of the story that PJ is telling. Most have thought the idea awful and bordering on false advertising. I tend to agree with that.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 am

azriel wrote:Sorry Eldo, my mistake ! I just didnt keep up to speed on that one, Embarassed
But,as neutral as you are,over PJ & Tolkein, (which is SO sweeeeeet) It doesnt get away from the fact that,PJ has told a few "pork pies"!

Hey now, you're going to ruin any shred of purist credibility I had with Petty. Sad

I'm glad I've mellowed out enough on this topic for someone to think I'm sweet though. A few years ago I took it very seriously. In my defense I was 14 and too book smart for my own good. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 am

In my own head I sort of compare this with the Mass Effect 3 ending, Sinister. It's polarizing.
You got the fanboys who don't care either way. You got the people who know what Jackson's doing and decide they want to enjoy the Hobbit and so look past it. And then you got those who say," no this isn't right, and I'm going to call you on it".
Opinions, everyone's got em.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 am

What purist credibility Eldo?- I had you originally in the Most Liberal category at last years votes if you remember! Laughing

RA- ME3 does have some similarities to Th- both are sequals to something that was popular. Both try to top what came before- and both attempt to top what came before with more shiny things, more explosions and more bang for your buck and in doing so completely miss what made the original thing so appealing in the first place.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 am

I seem to recall that you liked my website about purism though. Cool But yes, you stole my Most Pure crown almost the second you showed up. I remember when I first joined and there was no one taking a stand against limitless PJ praise, you know! Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 am

Indeed I did like your website Eldo (and still recommend it to all!) but you are just too damn nice a person and not crabbit enough!

{{{But just between us I do appreciate your early efforts against GB and the like- when you were younger- then you had a bit of crabbit in your belly, Eru knows what went wrong Mad- not enough buckie I suspect}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 am

Hey, I've put a lot of work into trying to be a nice guy! I like to think of it as part of growing up. Very Happy

{{{Thanks though, that means a lot coming from you. Very Happy BTW, this has gotten me nostalgic, so I went sifting through the archives on my first Tolkien forum for old threads I remember. If you want some classic crabbit Eldo then check out my last battle with my arch-nemesis here. It gets more crabbit further down the page.

Let's hope that sharing these old memories doesn't come back to bite me. Laughing}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 am

Good read, and good essay too!

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

What's up with over 13 thousand posts in that forum, Eldo? Shocked How many years were you on that forum?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 pm

WHO THE FUCK MADE THE ENDING TO MASS EFFECT 3 IM HIGHLY UPSET! !!!!

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Good read, and good essay too!

Haha, thanks. If you want to read my original essay that was in response to, the link in the thread is broken, but you can get to it through the archive forum here. There's lots more crabbit in the later pages of that discussion too Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:44 pm

halfwise wrote:What's up with over 13 thousand posts in that forum, Eldo? Shocked How many years were you on that forum?

Technically I joined in 2007 but the bulk of the 13,000 came over the course of about two and a half years. I know I posted way too much. Laughing I wasn't in a great place IRL for much of that time though so forums were especially important to me. Also, I wasn't even close to being the top poster on the forum though, there are two people over 40,000 there (both joined in 2002).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Carly Castle wrote:WHO THE FUCK MADE THE ENDING TO MASS EFFECT 3 IM HIGHLY UPSET! !!!!
Casey Hudson and Mac Walters. They have artistic integrity, so they'll never change it Laughing

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Does the "Extended Cut" make up 4 it?

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 am

I think it does, to an extent. The inclusion of a character who so tremendously alters the plot introduced in the last 5 minutes is a little strange and the EC didn't address that. It did make the endings different enough from each other to be acceptable. I still like Mass Effect though.
My real problem is with the fact that the Mass Effect 2 squaddies were largely ignored.
At least two absolute favorite characters, Tali and Garrus, were included.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 am

My main quible with ME3 is that it did not live up to the aim of the series- which was that decisions made in previous games would have significnat impact on how the game narrative played out in the last part- and they didnt- most of what you did in ME1 and 2 was completely irrelevant to how ME3 unfolds and concludes.
Its greatest flaw is not as a game, its a decent game, but in betraying its original ideals so spectacularly.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Just bumping up this thread to say 'The APPENDICES'! the source of the coven's power....

I've got Mass Effect 2 it's really good but I haven't played it much lately.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 am

Hey guys, why was An Unexpected Journey so bloated?

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum