Norc
Lancebloke
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Sinister71
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

the appendixes... Empty the appendixes...

Post by Sinister71 Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 pm

just curious how they expect to get another film out of the appendixes when even with whats relevant they could still tell the story in 2 films I just went thru all the appendixes at the back of ROTK and there is maybe and I do mean MAYBE 15 pages worth of relevant material and that is being generous.

Appendixes A

1. Numenorean kings
1.1 Numenor
1.2 Realms in Exile
1.3 Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur
1.4 Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion
1.5 Here follows a part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen

2. The House of Eorl
2.1 Kings of the Mark

3. Durin's Folk
all of which is only 8 pages of material related to the dwarfs and only about half those pages are directly related to the Hobbit.

Appendixes B
2.1 Tale of Years/ Chronology of the Westlands
maybe one paragraph that if taken out of context could be forced into LOTR since it about the rings but nothing really Hobbit worthy

2.2 The great Years 3018
All details that were in LOTR nothing from the Hobbit

2.3 The Chief Days From the Fall of Barad-Dur To the End of the Third Age
again nothing Hobbit wise all LOTR

2.4 Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of The Ring
Again all stuff later after the events of LOTR

Appendixes C
3. all famiy tree maps about the Bagginses, Tooks, and the Brandbuck of Buckland. again I see nothing other than relatives of Bilbo's that would be of any importance.

Appendixes D
The Calendars

No real info here needed either

Appendixes E
has nothing note worthy or anything fitting into the story of the Hobbit

Appendixes F
has 4 paragraphs about Hobbit
2 paragraphs about Ents
4 paragraphs about Orcs
2 paragraphs about Trolls
and 4 paragraphs about Dwarves

Then it just goes to the index which hold nothing at all but names and what pages they are on

So I guess I am just at a loss as to what material they can be adding that is in this 125 pages that NEEDS to be told I don't get it. or I have an outdated non PJ updated version of ROTK Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

the appendixes... Empty Re: the appendixes...

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 pm

I was thinking about this same topic a few weeks ago. Aside from portions of the dwarf section in Appendix A, a paragraph or two from the timelines in Appendix B (most of which is repeated information from Appendix A), and maybe a couple sentences in Appendix F there's nothing of particular relevance to The Hobbit or its expansion in the Appendices. As far as I'm concerned, PJ's references to the Appendices are just his typical ass-covering justifications. It'll convince many people, but c'est la vie!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

the appendixes... Empty Totally agree

Post by Sinister71 Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Eldorion wrote:I was thinking about this same topic a few weeks ago. Aside from portions of the dwarf section in Appendix A, a paragraph or two from the timelines in Appendix B (most of which is repeated information from Appendix A), and maybe a couple sentences in Appendix F there's nothing of particular relevance to The Hobbit or its expansion in the Appendices. As far as I'm concerned, PJ's references to the Appendices are just his typical ass-covering justifications. It'll convince many people, but c'est la vie!

Exactly I think the only section of the appendixes that even fits is what you said Eldorion, Durin's Folk and the odd sentence or paragraph here and there but nothing else

I think its his way of being able to change everything he wanted to change to make it his way. That way his loyalists will take it hook line and sinker which they obviously have Twisted Evil and think he is making these films better, when he really isn't. He's just making them his way but better I think not. They might as well title the films, "Peter Jackson's - the Hobbit" with this underneath it "Loosely based on the book by JRR Tolkien"

Last edited by Sinister71 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Should at least be interesting in the commentaries as he tries to justify some of his changes according to bits in the appencixes. Thats going to be a strecth and a half given its frankly outright deceitful to cliam the changes have any basis in the appendices.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Maybe he has the only copy of a 1972 full edition of 'The Fall of Dol-Guldur and other interesting Hobbit era film fillers'

You never know!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 pm

when i read the title, i thought of bowels...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:12 pm

I dont have any. Appendix that is not bowels- I need bowels or where else would all the deep fried food go?
But I had my appendix taken out- I heard a rumour it inhibited buckie absorption into the blood, and well you don't take chances with something like that- so out if went. drunken

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes Norc, it should be appendicies rather than the plural of the appendix organ.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Should at least be interesting in the commentaries as he tries to justify some of his changes according to bits in the appencixes. Thats going to be a strecth and a half given its frankly outright deceitful to cliam the changes have any basis in the appendices.

I'm looking forward to this. Twisted Evil. It'll be really funny when after the DVD is released, I start hearing the exact same arguments from people on the Internet.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes. 'All 125 pages' ...

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:37 am

In fact, it appears Jackson's excuse has mostly achieved its goal so far. It's tricked most people into believing he's drawing from the appendice - Notice the occasional visitors in Bree citing Jackson's claim as a defense? Makes me wonder if most people even read the appendices.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 pm

I refer to Appendices quite often,when Im looking for something or I forget something. Theres plenty in "Unfinished Tales" PJ could have picked at,but...He hasnt got the rights. Do I smell a law suit coming on ? As you say, what is PJ going to say in the credits ? Suspect

the appendixes... Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

the appendixes... Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Actually I think PJ will avoid a law suit as when we see the film it will not contain any of the info from UT- PJ is almost certainly lying about that at the moment to convince people his changes are in some fashion legitamte.
We already know Gandalf gives Galadriel a reason for picking Bilbo that is completely different from the reasons he gives in UT.
It will as you say though Azriel be interesting to hear the script writers commentary on the matter; 'We added in extra scenes that covered things Tolkien wrote about elsewhere but then we had to make sure what we added was the complete opposite of what Tolkien wrote to avoid getting sued, so we just made stuff up off the top of our heads instead,' might be the truth but I doubt they will have the balls to say it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Two old farmers were digging potatoes when one pulls 2 HUGE potatoes out of the ground at once. He exclaims, "I'm taking these taters home to my wife, they look just like my balls!" The other old farmer is amazed and questions, "Your balls are THAT BIG?" The 1st old farmer says, "No, but they're that dirty!!!"

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:08 pm

They sell dirt at Home Depot. Like I can't get that stuff everywhere. Rolling Eyes

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:39 am

I once saw a cat puke on the street and a fox came and ate the puke.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:28 am

azriel wrote:Two old farmers were digging potatoes when one pulls 2 HUGE potatoes out of the ground at once. He exclaims, "I'm taking these taters home to my wife, they look just like my balls!" The other old farmer is amazed and questions, "Your balls are THAT BIG?" The 1st old farmer says, "No, but they're that dirty!!!"

I always wash my potatoes.
the appendixes... 2977320610103582665S600x600Q85
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I once saw a cat puke on the street and a fox came and ate the puke.

That was random.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 am

Shocked Mrs Figg... are you Ally? Shocked

{{{Nice taters there, David! Laughing }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

David: thanks for the visual ! Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 pm

yeah that was quite eye watering Dave. Thanks Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Shocked Suspect

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 am

Hullo RJ, JJ, Bobby, etc. I very much like the name Carly.Your wit puts me in mind of our Alley.

I have no intelligent thing to add, but I was once so addicted to the reading of the appendices I had to just walk away. Very Happy
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 am

i'm still at odds as to what we have to gain from the appendices since IMO there isn't enough in them to make as much film as Jackson keeps claiming he has. I seen a interview today of Jackson claiming "125 pages of hobbit related material" in the appendices at the end of ROTK which made me chuckle. He must have a different appendices in his copy than I have in mine, because I still count about 12 pages at most that are even super vaguely thinly related to the Hobbit. The rest being calenders, family trees, 1rst, and 2nd age material. I am so looking forward to hearing Jackson and Boyens justifications for making all the changes they made and how they can say there are 125 pages of Hobbit related material they can use... I still think that they should put the term "based on" somewhere in the title or call it Peter Jackson's the Hobbit instead of just the Hobbit. Oh well i can live with the films not gonna say I like or dislike them until I have seen them. But I have seen many things in preproduction that I hate so far and seen some things I think will be interesting.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I think Jackson is lying. Simple. The same way he's lying about Tolkien toying with the idea of republishing the Hobbit to fit more with Lotr.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum